The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

how much should tie rods cost

14K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  patrick30 
#1 ·
got a coupon in the mail from the dealer for a front end alignment. So I bring it in and get a call- tie rods are loose- can't align it. But for $578 they can replace the inner tie rods & do alignment

I looked online- tie rod ends are ~50 a piece- even if give it @ an hr a side + an alignment no way I come up w/578. Jam nut, separate the ball socket end...unthread

Am I missing something?

I did notice outside edge of the tire has worn prematurely- snuck up on me

#4 ·
if you think about it. alignments just don't go out. if you need an alignment it's because something has bent, broken, wore out.

so if you don't have perfect parts, it's impossible to do a proper alignment. after all front end alignments call for toe-in settings within 1/32" you realize how small that is. It's smaller than the gap on your spark plugs. if you have any play in any part, you have replace these parts.

I would be suspect if you have any alignment shop do an alignment without finding even one suspect part especially if it's a vehicle that's all original.

#5 ·
if you think about it. alignments just don't go out. if you need an alignment it's because something has bent, broken, wore out.
Not necessarily. We're having a lot of gas well drilling out my way, and the main back roads that I have to drive to and from work, are getting channels from the weight of the trucks. Both my car and the van are in need of alignments, due to the front passenger tire wearing abnormally. The car was just aligned last year, around the same time I bought the van. I find it hard to believe that it's not the roads causing it, since they both show the exact symptom at roughly the same rate.

so if you don't have perfect parts, it's impossible to do a proper alignment. after all front end alignments call for toe-in settings within 1/32" you realize how small that is. It's smaller than the gap on your spark plugs. if you have any play in any part, you have replace these parts.
It doesn't take much.

I would be suspect if you have any alignment shop do an alignment without finding even one suspect part especially if it's a vehicle that's all original.
I'm always suspect of shops that tell me any parts are broken. My car has nearly 200,000mi on it, origional suspension, both tires needed aligned, neither had worn/broken/bent suspension parts as the cause. Always get a second opinion, and if the second garage tells you the exact same part, than go with whichever you are most comfortable with, or do it yourself.

#6 ·
I appologize for being such an ignorant moron.

i would have never thought that a 200,000 mile vehicle could have nothing worn or bent that could cause alignment issues. I'm sure it's just the road conditions that are the problem for your alignment issues.

thanks for correcting my totally inept and useless information.

I'll be sure to refrain from giving any input.

#7 ·
thanks all. I took it to a trusted mechanic- he agreed the inner tie rods had some play.
More than I wanted to spend but a good bit less than the dealer.

He actually could not get the parts today- but expects them Mon will do the tie rod ends & alignment. Doesn't sound like a common Dodge problem..I could be wrong

I do have a terrible commute(bad NE roads) & ski every weekend in the winter(more bad roads)

No matter why- will get it fixed, save the tires & keep enjoying no car payments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.