Overheating

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Overheating

Thanks

Overheating

I have a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country with an overheating problem. If the van is in PARK, I can rev the engine, run the air conditioning etc., for over an hour with no problems. When I put in in drive, it will overheat in about 60 seconds. Seems to be related to transmission. Any ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Have a helper sit in the van with the brakes on and in gear. Verify that the fans are working. See if heat is coming out of the heater. Will it overheat if you drive down the road? Does it overheat on the gauge or boil over or both?
    2002 Grand Caravan AWD
    1989 Caravan ES, 2.5 turbo, 5-speed, Short WB

Thanks

Get an IR temp gun and take the temps of things like the thermostat housing when it is overheating. You may have some odd electrical problem if it overheats that easily. Or the cooling system is barely adequate for idling with no load and then it heats up when the little load of the trans is put on it. Do the temps stay in check if you are actually driving down the road?
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
    Have a helper sit in the van with the brakes on and in gear. Verify that the fans are working. See if heat is coming out of the heater. Will it overheat if you drive down the road? Does it overheat on the gauge or boil over or both?
    Wife sat inside with brakes on and in gear. Fans are running. Heater is working. It overheats with car in gear and brakes on. No boil over, just guage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    Get an IR temp gun and take the temps of things like the thermostat housing when it is overheating. You may have some odd electrical problem if it overheats that easily. Or the cooling system is barely adequate for idling with no load and then it heats up when the little load of the trans is put on it. Do the temps stay in check if you are actually driving down the road?
    Temp guage shows an overtemp anytime the car is driven at any speed or if car is in drive with brakes on. I do not think it is do to the load though. Even with the high outside temperature, with Air conditioning on max, engine reving, van in park = no overtemp. It seems to have something to do with the transmission. Is it possible that the trans cooling lines can be blocked causing poor circulation. Car runs great, shifts fine, no slipping, no loss of power that I can tell.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hevyhed View Post
    Temp guage shows an overtemp anytime the car is driven at any speed or if car is in drive with brakes on. I do not think it is do to the load though. Even with the high outside temperature, with Air conditioning on max, engine reving, van in park = no overtemp. It seems to have something to do with the transmission. Is it possible that the trans cooling lines can be blocked causing poor circulation. Car runs great, shifts fine, no slipping, no loss of power that I can tell.
    Does your van have an external cooler for the trans or no? If it does not, it is always a good idea to install one which will keep the trans cooler and keep heat out of the engine coolant. That said, there is stil a problem as the stock cooling system can more than handle all types of driving.

Does turning on the interior heat to full max delay how long it takes to overheat? Also how many miles are on it, the 4th gen pumps are known for failure.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

If the temperature GAUGE on the van moves from normal to max hot in a matter of 60 seconds, I think it's erroneous. I don't think temperature could physically rise that fast. Especially if you're not getting any boil-over, I don't think it's really "overheating". What does the temperature gauge say? Does it go to full HOT?
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiefyd View Post
    If the temperature GAUGE on the van moves from normal to max hot in a matter of 60 seconds, I think it's erroneous. I don't think temperature could physically rise that fast. Especially if you're not getting any boil-over, I don't think it's really "overheating". What does the temperature gauge say? Does it go to full HOT?
    I agree, you are getting bad data.
    2010 Honda Oddy LX - 9k miles - Land Barge
    2008 Honda Fit Sport - 31k miles - What a riot!
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser - 292k miles - Tank
    Gone - 2001 DGC Sport 3.3L 169K

Thanks

I believe if the tranny cooler was clogged (and it is in the radiator) it would not raise the temp that fast or at all. If it is totally clogged, you have minutes until complete failure. If it is partially clogged, it would raise the temp, but it would also restrict how much fluid would interact with the water in the radiator. I think you have a bad sending unit, and I would replace it before getting weird about anything else. And I would also replace the tranny cooler with an air cooling one, just on principle and to allay possible failure later.
    One other possibility came to mind. If the impeller in the water pump is broken or loose inside, it might at low revs (idle) have enough friction to catch and turn, but at higher revs, just sit still while the shaft spins inside it. Just a thought, don't even know if it is possible on this model and engine.
    2005 T&C Ltd 3.8 69k
    2000 Caravan 2.4l
    1990 Grand Caravan 3.3 149,000 owned 15yrs 4 trannies
    1990 Dynasty 3.0 120k 1 tranny 4yrs
    1981 Dodge Aries 2.6 only new car I ever bought 225k orig 11yrs
    1966 Dodge Coronet 440 Wagon, way old 1 yr. 135$ (Had to borrow it at the bank!)
    1964 Simca 1000 (bought for $10 rebored) 50k 4yrs
    1965 Ply Valiant V8 85k
    1964 Ply Valiant Wagon slant 6 200k 1 qt/200 miles
    1969 Corvair convertible 4 carb

Thanks

Is it possible to install a TEE connection so that both the temp sending unit and a real water temp gauge could be used?
    John
    '97 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.3, O/D tranny, 260K

+ Reply to Thread