The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Whats your MPG and Engine size ?

19K views 60 replies 39 participants last post by  Neromancer 
#1 ·
So Far, I gotta tell ya, I think I'm getting close to the same MPG in my 08 T&C with a 3.8L as I did with my '01 Ram 1500 with a 5.2L

What engine do you have and what is your MPG ?

#2 ·
Bit of apples and oranges but my 96 3.8 ltr gives me 22/23 on the highway and 17/18 around town when I drive it, which isn't much anymore. You should do a fair bit better on your 08.

#5 ·
8.2 L/100km @115 ?.......wow I thought I was doing good by getting 9.0 L/100km @85.

Granted I only have 6000 km on van now but the fuel economy is getting better. I seem to average around 10.2L/100km in mixed driving.
That's on a 2010 T&C 4.0 L.....

#6 ·
The 97 got about 25.5 on the highway and around 20 daily driving. The 03 gets about 24.5 on the highway and around 18 daily driving. The 07 got about 23 on the highway, and gets about 17.5 daily driving. I expect the 07 to come up some when I take the high rolling resistance tires off it and put a set of lower rolling resistance tires.

#7 ·
Mine did 23 mpg on a 1200 mile trip with an average speed of 65-70mph (and one speeding ticket lol). It does about 16 city during these warmer temps and would do about 13 in the winter and I don't even let it sit and warm up. Overall my computer says 18.4 currently and it is normally within 0.3mpg of the calculated value.

#8 ·
I just purchased my '09 3.8 a few weeks ago. On a recent trip I towed my jet ski with a fairly packed van to the in-laws about 100 miles away. On the way there I got 20mpg which I though was pretty good considering I was towing and got stuck in some stop and go due to road construction. I left the jet ski there, and on the way back got 26mpg. Just driving around town I'm getting about 17-18mpg.

#10 ·
So Far, I gotta tell ya, I think I'm getting close to the same MPG in my 08 T&C with a 3.8L as I did with my '01 Ram 1500 with a 5.2L
That's not unlike our '07, in certain situations. Our last tank with it was 15.4 MPG. In the city, with the air on all the time, we'll usually average between 16 and 17. In cooler weather, with no A/C use, it's more like 19 or 20 in town. My '97 Dakota (also with the 5.2L) averages about 15.5-16 MPG in town, no matter what. I think the difference is the A/C on the van has to work that much harder than on the Dakota (two evaporators, much larger cabin, etc). I use the recirculate mode on the van all the time, for a few reasons. First, it simply can't keep up when it's over 90*F unless I use recirculate, and second, it's more efficient for the A/C system to cool cool air, rather than cooling hot air. But our MPG still tanks in the dead of summer.

#13 ·
We just got back from a 4,000 mile round trip and got 25.4mpg, according to the onboard computer... It's a 2009 T&C with the 3.8L engine.... Mostly highway and freeway, 55--75mph, with the air conditioner on about half the time. Total milage on the van is right at 15,000 today.
I thought that was pretty good condsidering we were loaded heavy and a lot of the trip was up and down through the east coast mountains.

#14 ·
When we drive between Minneapolis and Denver every other month, I usually get about 23.5 with my 09 4.0L. Around town, I'm feeling pretty good to get about 16.7. This last tank where the majority has been spent hauling me, the kids and stuff to move between this place and our new house 13 blocks away, I got 13.7 for the tank! Yikes! Granted, it's been muggy and the AC has been cranked, but it was almost as bad as my (dearly departed and mostly missed) duct-taped together '86 F-150.

#15 ·
We've a new 2010 T&C with the 3.8L, just turned 2000 miles (purchased May 20, almost six weeks old).

Highway mileage has been 23-24. We taken a several 100 and 300 mile round trips. In town, the local driving mileage is absolutely, unequivocally horrid. Last night, the last tank fill-up -> 17.7 gallons for 214 miles of driving (which is 12.1/mpg). I don't have the other gas slips in front of me as I post, but that result has been the norm. 12- 13 mpg max for local driving.

Part of what will account for the poor mileage is that our terrain is all hills. One is fortunate if one can find a one mile stretch in any direction that is flat. And FWIW, we live in town, not in the country, here in Western PA.

#16 ·
Our 2008 with 3.8 gets about 27 on highway and around 19 in town depending if I drive it or my father in law ( lead foot and 13 mpg in town and 17 highway).
2003 3.8 with AWD gets around 25.5 highway and depending on how much time I spend sitting in traffic (NYC) anywhere between 13.5 and 16 in town.

Alex...

#18 ·
I gotta tell ya, I'm NOT Hot Rodding around town, I'm not flying from stop light to stop light and with my '08 / 3.8L I'm only get 15.2 MPG in town .... I really expect a lot better numbers .....

#30 ·
I have to agree.

We went from an '01 DGC Sport with 3.3L and 4 speed auto and 133k on the clock to a '10 SXT with the 3.8 and 6AT and 22k. Regular suburb driving, same driver, our mileage dropped from 19-20 right down to 15.5.

No long trips yet, but I think this is attrocious.

#20 ·
Just did a 3000km trip, one way, down to the coast with the van loaded. Using the vans cumputer in gals...IMP/US?:ask_wsign we averaged the same as you. I had to fly back for work and the wife and kids are taking their time on the way back up to visit friends on the way.
I was really impressed with the 3.3s preformance on the long grades. A manual shift into 3rd and 2800 to 3000RPM it took us up any set of mountains with the temp gage never moving. :ThumbsUp:

#24 ·
I had a 2002 Lxi with AWD and Michelin tires. I was getting 15 city 21-22 highway when I first got it. I put Goodyear tires on it and started to have transmission issues at 60K. The tires gave a much smoother ride but between the tranny slippage and tire resistance my mileage dropped to 12 city and 17 highway. I am looking to buy an 08 or 09 with the 3.8 and am a little nervous about mileage. I have owned 4 Chrysler vans one with 3.0, one with 3.3 and two with 3.8. It has been my experience that it is a crapshoot - two identical vans can vary sigificantly in mileage with similar driving patterns and once you buy it you are stuck if you are getting 12-16 like a few users on here.

#32 ·
Just checked the rating for an 01 DGC 3.3 and found that it was originally rated at 18/24, but with the new system it shows 16/22, the same as the 3.8 of the same year.

The 2010 SXT is rated at 16/23, essentially the same as the 3.3 from '01, after conversion.

So, I have a similar EPA engine economy, same driver style, yet my actual economy drops by 20%. :eekkkk: So it is either the change from a 4 speed to a 6 speed (which I notice has to be revved more to get moving) or the tires (Michelins on the older, Yokohama's on the newer).

I'll blame the tranny.

#34 ·
So, I have a similar EPA engine economy, same driver style, yet my actual economy drops by 20%. :eekkkk: So it is either the change from a 4 speed to a 6 speed (which I notice has to be revved more to get moving) or the tires (Michelins on the older, Yokohama's on the newer).
You can take "equivalent" vans and get different MPG readings pretty easily. For some reason, some vehicles are thirstier than others. It was much easier to make the EPA estimate in our 2003 vs. our 2007. Our 2007 seems to like to use more fuel, relative to its official EPA rating, compared with our '03. Same driving style, same environment. Same transmission. Even the same tires (same model Michelins). On most of the vehicles I've had, it's been pretty easy for me to meet and exceed the EPA ratings (even the old pre-2008 ratings). But our '07 T&C is different, it's much harder to attain the EPA estimate in this van.

There may not be anything "wrong" or different with your '10 compared with your '01. Maybe your '10 is a tad thirstier than most '10s and maybe your '01 was a tad more frugal tham most '01s, and the difference between the two seems wider than it would be, on average.

I don't know if that made any sense, but for what it's worth... :lol:

#35 ·
I think driving stile has a lot to do with you mileage. Our 2008 will easily get 18-19 in the city and 26-27 highway ( love that 6 speed ) with me driving. My father-in-law is lucky to get 14-15 city and gets about 19-20 highway. 2003 gets about 14-16 city ( depending on traffic) and I've gotten as high as 25.5 highway on it. Both are 3.8L and 2003 is AWD.

Alex...

#36 · (Edited)
We get 18-20 in our "city" driving (70% highway, 30% pure city) and 23-24 on the highway with our 4.0. BUT...we are not using the recommended mid-grade fuel but only 87 octane regular. I assume our mileage would improve a little if we went to the mid-grade but we're ok with where it is now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.