High pitched squeaking sound from engine area...

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: High pitched squeaking sound from engine area...

Thanks

High pitched squeaking sound from engine area...

I have a 96 Grand Voyager with a 3.3L V-6 engine. I just got my transmission rebuilt a week ago, as well as, replacing my serpentine belt. Now when I start my van it makes this high pitched squeaking sound as it idles. The squeaking gets faster when I accelerate. I sprayed some WD-40 on a couple of the pulleys (around the center where the bolt is) and it seems to have made the squeak worse. Can you help me figure out what's wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Hard to say... are you sure that sound come from the belt and pulleys area? Try to run the engine without belt, and check the power steering pump pulley on the way. If it has even a small chirp it could cause a noise.
    who left the dodge out?
    -----------------------------
    Plymouth Voyager 1999 LE 3.8

Thanks

Someone once told me that it looked like I had a real slow power steering leak. If I added power steering fluid, do you think that could be it? But the thing is that it doesn't vibrate the steering wheel, nor does it change the pitch of the squeal when I turn.

Thanks

I don't think so that a lack of fluid could cause vibration, noise and "hard" steering yes.
    Firts thing try to drop down the belt, and check each pulley, especially the steering pump.
    who left the dodge out?
    -----------------------------
    Plymouth Voyager 1999 LE 3.8

Thanks

Try using a "Redneck Stethescope", i.e. a piece of cut off garden hose. Put one end to your ear and point the other end at likely sources of the squeak to see if you can isolate it.

Thanks

I agree with removing the belt and running it for a few seconds to see if that is the problem or not. If the squealing continues with the belt off, then it may be a transmission problem.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

Belt noise

I just replaced the alternator on a 97 Mitsu Galant. Made noise like a dog in heat. My first thought was that the belt was too tight. I loosened the belt and the noise was worse. So I *tightened* the belt by adjusting the alternator... cha-ching! no more noise.
    Try loosening or tightening the belt.
    96 Grand Voyager 3.3L, 215K miles (that's nearly a one way trip to the moon!), owned since Feb 2010, replaced fuel pump and filter, plugs, and front brake pads. It's the wind beneath my wings
    Other rides that mostly sit in garage:
    2001 Ford Windstar
    1989 27' Class C Winnebago Warrior w/Ford chasis
    97 Mitsubishi Galant
    Two 1982 Yamaha Maxim XJ 750's
    Chinese 50CC scooter/moped

Thanks

We had all sorts of belt noise problems. A quick & dirty way to silence a belt is Softscrub. Put it on the belt with the engine off, and start it with the hood closed because it will spatter all over the place. This will silence any belt noise quickly. The downside to this method is it makes a huge mess that is hard to clean up afterward. The upside is you'll know immediately if it's the belt making the noise or something else that could be more serious.

Being that only two things have changed since the noise started, it's either the belt or your transmission. Like others have suggested, taking the belt off is more preferred to the method I described, but I put it out there as a really quick way to eliminate belt noise from the equation if you'd rather try it that way. Just be warned: it surely does make a mess!

As a side note, Softscrub silenced a chirpy belt for months for us when everything else failed. It's a quick & messy (but effective) temporary fix.
    Daasch Blitzco
    -1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE. Factory Emerald Green, with aftermarket rust accents ("What rocker panels?!") 192,000 miles (and counting) with the 3.8L and ORIGINAL 41TE. The Spinach-Van!
    -1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE, Factory Rosewood paint with ZERO rust, 3.3l, 175,000 miles. The "new" van. It's a baby. The Eggplant-Van!

Thanks

If you want to see if it is the belt or the bearing or tensioner, use a squirt bottle to squirt water on the pulley surface you suspect. If it quiets it momentarily, it is the belt. If it makes no difference, it is the pulley or more likely the tensioner. Watch the tensioner, that @4" diameter pulley that is up top that goes to nothing but an arm, and gun the engine with your hand on the accelerator cable. You should see the arm flex that the pulley is on if it is working, if not it will squeal like a banshee. You can replace it from the bottom with a 15mm wrench. I wrote a post on this, for detailed instructions. I would bet you anything that is the problem.
    2005 T&C Ltd 3.8 69k
    2000 Caravan 2.4l
    1990 Grand Caravan 3.3 149,000 owned 15yrs 4 trannies
    1990 Dynasty 3.0 120k 1 tranny 4yrs
    1981 Dodge Aries 2.6 only new car I ever bought 225k orig 11yrs
    1966 Dodge Coronet 440 Wagon, way old 1 yr. 135$ (Had to borrow it at the bank!)
    1964 Simca 1000 (bought for $10 rebored) 50k 4yrs
    1965 Ply Valiant V8 85k
    1964 Ply Valiant Wagon slant 6 200k 1 qt/200 miles
    1969 Corvair convertible 4 carb

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dano726 View Post
    I just replaced the alternator on a 97 Mitsu Galant. Made noise like a dog in heat. My first thought was that the belt was too tight. I loosened the belt and the noise was worse. So I *tightened* the belt by adjusting the alternator... cha-ching! no more noise.
    Try loosening or tightening the belt.
    Unless there is something I don't know about, I don't think you can manually loosen or tighten the serpentine belt on the 3.3/3.8 engines due to the presence of a self-adjusting spring-loaded belt tensioner.
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply