Transmission cooler brackets

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transmission cooler brackets

Thanks

Question Transmission cooler brackets

Transmission cooler brackets broke and the cooler punched a hole in the radiator. I'm replacing the radiator, but does anyone have any ideas how to replace the rivets/screws that hold the transmission cooler to the bracket?

I know I'm not the only one on this forum to have this problem since I read about someone having this, but I can't find the thread he posted in.

01 T&C 3.8 w/ external Trans cooler.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

i used zip ties to hold mine in after the rivets broke

2011 Grand Caravan, 3.6, 120k miles
    2000 Neon ES 2.0, 140k
    2006 Pt Cruiser 2.4, 110k
    Past Caravans:
    2005 Grand Caravan SXT, 3.8 247k miles, Sold
    2002 Grand Caravan SE, 3.3, 166k miles, Sold

Thanks

i re-riveted mine. used a little longer ones, and replaced all 6. all 3 mounts were broken loose.
    yes i drive a caravan. yes, its two-toned. no, it wasn't on accident.

Thanks

I just got done fixing this a week back. I had to replace the radiator also. I re-riveted my cooler brackets using the same size rivets. I also added some silicone adhesive between the brackets and the cooler (all 3). I figured this would act as a vibration insulator and keep them glued together if the rivets broke again (I hope).

Just be sure the silicone states that it is non-corrosive as some will corrode aluminum. Good luck!

MY02 Voyager w/90k miles

Thanks

I think nylon zip-ties are the way to go if you live in the rust belt. The salty roadspray eats the aluminum around the rivets, causing them to loosen and fall out. New rivets will just fall out again over time. Zip-ties won't rust, and they won't cause a reaction like a different metal would (steel). I have a cooler with broken brackets to fix and add to our van.
    DAN(husband of member STEPHANIE)

2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited - Dark Charcoal Metallic with chrome trim, taupe leather interior, loaded. In need of rust repair on rockers and liftgate. Now enjoying the new family mommy-mobile!

Knowledge can never be wisdom without experience.
    "Your experience is a commodity."
    "Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor."
    DRIVE = LOVE

Thanks

I have this same problem on my 2003 DGC. Plan is to replace rad and repair tranny cooler bracket by zip ties & new rivets. Have a few questions for those of you who've already made repairs. 1. Do I drill out broken rivets still in cooler? 2. What type & size are the rivets? Thx

Thanks

I pulled the plastic top cover off my radiator, A/C condenser, etc., today to see what kind of room there was for an auxiliary transmission cooler. I knew from this thread that rivets on the stock cooler could break off and cause a problem. I'm glad I checked as my cooler was broken loose, too. I unbolted and removed the top bracket and saw the lower passenger side bracket had broken rivets also. I didn't notice a 3rd bracket so it must be hiding down there somewhere.

I have no leaks or damage so far so I put some foam weatherstrip on either side of the cooler to keep it 'padded' until I get an extra cooler to add, at which point I'll fix it properly. That lower bracket bolt looks like a bear to get at. I could see it but couldn't get a wrench on it.

It looks like the aluminum rivets didn't corrode, rather they just vibrated and snapped. I think I'll just replace them with plated steel rivets.

Incidentally, to answer Nails1's question, the rivets are 3/16" diameter pop rivets. I would imagine the length would be short.

Bill
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, 3.3 flex-fuel V6

+ Reply to Thread