The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Story of my life!!!

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  AMD Rules 
#1 ·
Something else that has to be fixed. :mad:

Hi folks, newbie here, need a little help. :help_wsig

My 97 town and country's cruise control, went south. It worked fine on the way to work, but on the way home, it wouldn't turn on. The light on the dash that comes on to tell you the cruise is on, never comes on, and the cruise wont function at all.

With four kids and a wife that could tear up a rock, I'm ALWAYS fixing something....I'm so tired. :cry:

Heellllppppppppp.....please. :sad:

#2 ·
Welcome cntryby.

Have you had any work done on your steering column lately? Do you use any sprays around it? Does your horn and turn signals work ok? Have you received a recall or had a recall on your Clockspring done?

I believe there is a recall on your vehicle for the clock spring but I am not sure. I know others on here with that year vehicle could help you out there.

I guess the simply thing to do would be to check the fuse for the cruise control and make sure it is ok.

Good luck

1999 Dodge Truck Grand Caravan FWD V6-201 3.3L VIN R SFI

Vehicle Level Technical Service Bulletins All Technical Service Bulletins Airbag/Clock Spring - Service

Airbag/Clock Spring - Service
Notes

NUMBER: 08-010-01

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: May 25, 2001

SUBJECT:
Airbag/Clock Spring Service

MODELS:

1991 - 1995 (AS) TownCountry/CaravanVoyager
1996 - 2000 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager

2001 - 2002 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)

2001 - 2002 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager

1996 - 2002 (SR) Viper

DISCUSSION:

Airbag

When servicing any airbag system, it is essential to follow the proper Service Manual and/or Diagnostic Manual procedures for diagnosing, testing, and replacing of any component. When diagnosing any airbag squib circuit Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) with a DRBIII(R), the use of the Airbag Load Tool (Special Tool 8310 and 8443) is required. The Airbag Load Tool, used in conjunction with the DRBIII(R) are used to isolate and test components and wiring for failure. Only replace the component or wiring that has failed. This will reduce unnecessary cost to the customer or DaimlerChrysler.

NOTE :AIRBAG REPLACEMENT IS NOT REQUIRED EVERY TIME IT IS REMOVED OR WHEN ANOTHER COMPONENT HAS FAILED. USE OF THE DRBIII(R) AND AIRBAG LOAD TOOL WILL DETERMINE IF THE AIRBAG HAS FAILED AND REPLACEMENT IS NEEDED.

NOTE :TECHNICIANS SHOULD RECORD ALL STORED AND ACTIVE AIRBAG SYSTEM FAULT CODES ON THE REPAIR ORDER.

Clock Springs

Recent analysis of returned clock springs have indicated that prior service may have contributed to the clock spring's failure.

^

Do not use silicone or any other lubricant spray on or near the clock spring. Lubricants are often used in the clock spring area of the steering column to eliminate noise. Lubricants may have an adverse effect on the clock spring.

^

Clock spring centering. Any repair that may disrupt the positioning of the steering wheel with the front wheels will require that the clock spring be centered. This includes clock spring replacement, steering column service, HVAC service, steering gear service, and front suspension crossmember service. Refer to the appropriate Service Manual for the clock spring centering procedure.

POLICY:
Information Only

© 2003 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.

Terms of Use

#3 ·
If the indicator light on the dashpanel comes on/off when you activate the cruise button, I doubt it is a clockspring problem. Instead, I'd be suspicous of an electrical problem elsewhere in the cruise system. Perhaps a bad relay or solenoid. If you have a service manual, it may describe a few diagnostic tests such as checking for a blown fuse as DSMLVR mentioned.

Welcome to the forums! :thumb:

#4 ·
Dealer

The dealer was supose to change a switch in the steering colum that was causing the wipers to come on by themselves, and wipe one cycle then shut off. Sometimes it would do it when we would use the keyless entry, sometimes just out of the blue.

They did'nt stop that from happening, and now my cruise doesn't work. It's been a couple of months since the dealer did that though.

And no, the light on the dash dos not cycle off/on, I have nothing, I push the button to turn on the cruise, and nothing happens. The horn and blinkers work fine.

#5 ·
Sorry I misread your original post. If the cruise light on the dash is not cycling on/off when you depress the button, then I would agree that the clockspring is the primary suspect. Disregard my previous post. The phantom wipers that turn on by themselves are a separate issue.

#7 ·
The clockspring is essentially a switch box located directly behind the steering wheel. It allows the steering wheel mounted devices (air bag, horn, cruise, and radio controls if equipped) to function and the driver to turn the steering wheel. In principle, it is similar to a coil of wire, such as a clockspring. In reality it is a black plastic switch box with a hole in the middle for the steering column to pass through.

They are not repairable. If you're lucky, your vehicle is covered under a recall. Enter your VIN into the following website, and you can see any outstanding recalls for your vehicle (if any).

CHRYSLER - Recall or Customer Safisfaction Notification Information

There may be other reasons why your cruise control is not functioning, but the clockspring is the most likely.

Mini Van Clockspring Repair

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.