The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Need a front bottom bumper cover attachment

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Daasch 
#1 ·
My 1998 Grand Caravan Sport (3.3liter) that I bought used, is missing the bottom part that attaches the front bumper cover to the bottom of the car. Does anyone have a part name and number for this item and any suggestions as to where to get this part?

#2 ·
Lol mine is missing the "curb guard" too from when I ran over a curb. I plan on getting one from a junkyard as there are plenty around. You could probably get one from a dealer, but pay too much for it.

#3 ·
You could get that part at a boneyard and replace it, or pay big bucks at the dealer, IF they carry it. But in my experience, you'll end up having the same problem you have now, the bottom of the fascia sagging and dangling because it gets damaged easily by parking curbs, and the plastic button fasteners broken and/or missing.

Or, (entirely up to you) you could do what I did on two of these 3rd gen vans:
1. Remove any remnants of the front "air dam". This is the black plastic piece the fascia attaches to and it in turn bolts to the lower radiator support.
2. Remove any remaining hardware from bottom lip of fascia. What you want is just the flat bottom edge of the fascia because what you're going to do is attach it directly to the bottom radiator support.
3. On the front center engine mount there are three bolts attaching it to the lower radiator support. Remove the center bolt and loosen the other two bolts approximately 1/4".
4. Slide the lower skin of the fascia up against the lower radiator support and tuck it between the front mount and radiator support. Don't worry, it's flexible enough for this.
5. The fascia has a hole conveniently located in the center. Align this with the hole for the center mount bolt. Carefully thread bolt through the fascia into the lower radiator support. Be careful not to cross-thread it. Tighten up the 3 motor mount to radiator support bolts.
6. Locate areas where you can safely drill through the fascia skin and lower radiator support. You don't want to get too carried away here and drill into your radiator or hoses. Take your time and choose carefully.
7. I used a floor jack to press the fascia skin up against the lower support. Check the fascia alignment around the headlights and hood. Try to keep it as straight as possible.
8. Drill pilot holes and install self-tapping sheet metal screws. I used some 5/16 hex head screws and fender washers I got at Wal-mart. Just be sure the screws are not too long! One inch is plenty; less is better.
9. I found it easier to work one area at a time; drilling, tapping and tightening the sheet metal screws. Stop and check your alignment periodically.
10. On both my vans I only installed one sheet metal screw per side, approx halfway between the center of the vehicle and the end of the bumper. I always figured "one-a-these-days, when I get a "round tuit", I'll install more. It's been almost two years now, and everything works great. I do recommend at least two screws per side, but given that I drove around for months with nothing at all supporting the bottom, some's better than none.

This mod works well to support and lift a saggy fascia (it lifts and separates, like a cross your heart bra) and best of all, no more worries about it getting caught on parking curbs. On my first van I nearly ripped the entire fascia off when backing out of parking spot because it got caught on the curb! Now all you have to worry about is ripping off your oil pan if you come ripping in to a parking spot at 70 mph. Personally, I prefer a more sedate 32 mph parking spot approach speed. Besides, at 70 I seriously doubt that plastic dam would provide a great deal of oil pan protection. Mostly it'd just make a "noise" as it gets ripped off milliseconds before impact.

Also, I'd avoid any Dukes of Hazzard style jumps. Not only is this bad for the fascia, it's rough on rusty strut towers too. Better to stick to the style of driving Steve McQueen does in Bullit. The extra 2" of ground clearance comes in handy when ripping through San Fransisco streets at 90 mph.

As far as how this affects the aerodynamics, just keep your van under 150 mph and you should be fine. ;-) Also, there's been no issues on both my vans with overheating or splash protection since I've done this. It's cheap, it works, and it looks so much better. IMHO this is how Chrysler should have mounted the thing in the first place. I read somewhere that the air dam they use increases highway mileage by .00-something mpg. I haven't noticed any difference.

Is this concourse correct? Heck no! The judges will knock off several points for this jury-rigging. Something to keep in mind if you wish to show your van or sell it at Barrett Jacksons. Might not get that quarter-million dollar reserve. But I jest; I'm a kidder.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.