The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

help with 2003 town and country

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ratsttam 
#1 ·
We have a 2003 Chrysler town and country mini van and the strangest things are happening. We have had issues with the back lift gate since we bought the thing, had it fixed when it was recalled, it only works some times. The passenger overhead light is not working and the front driver window will only work some of the time. We notice sometimes when we start it up and go to drive away the power steering is gone for a moment until we get moving?? And, the engine light just came on today, we are at 72,000. We noticed that they want you in for a tune up about that time, not sure if this is connected? My husband just changed the oil, we need to take it for a ride to see if the engine light turns off. Since we have these odd things happening we thought we would ask. Funny thing is my sister in law has the same kind of things happening with her Dodge mini van.

My husband is out of work so we cannot afford to take it in to have all of these things looked at so we are open to your suggestions... THANKS BUNCHES!

Kim

#2 ·
I the order you mentioned things:

I have no idea about the lift gate.

The light may just have a burnt out bulb.

The window may have a bad motor or regulator. Next time it is not working, hold the button up or down and slam the door closed while holding it. If that jars it free, the regulator has an issue.

I would check the Power steering fluid to see if it is dirty or not, and full.

Check engine light is unrelated to oil change. You can go to an auto parts store and they will tell you why the light is on, for free too.

#4 ·
Regarding the power steering, my 03 does that too, but only if it's been raining, or after washing it. Is that the case with you too? If it is, the serpentine belt may be glazed and the water acting like a lubricant until it gets shaken off. Occasionally the battery light will join the lack of power steering.

#5 ·
When is the last time you changed your belt and tensioner? Also is your lower splash shield installed properly? This usually is not an issue on 4th generation vans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.