The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Blindman 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Caravan. It has rear heat and air with temp controls for left and right side. The switch on the dash for the rear blower motor works on low and high only. The switch on the driver side rear does nothing even after i replaced it. does that rear have a resistor for the blower motor? how would it work for two switches? When you turn on the switch on the dash for the right rear it blows out good on passenger side rear but barely on driver side rear. How is this suposed to work? Is there a rear blend door? Thanks.

#2 ·
You have the dash switch on the RR setting right? That enables the rear switch to work.

The airflow issue on the drivers side may be a diverter flap issue. There are a few doors in the rear assemble.

#3 ·
yeah. dash switch RR. but switch for left rear not doing anything. does RR have to be on for it to work? is there a resistor in the rear? i work for an auto parts place and our computers dont list anything for the rear except a blower motor that is expensive.

#4 ·
The switch has to be on RR for the rear to work.

I believe the rear motor is expensive because the resistor is built in it. May be better to get a used one if you can trace the wiring back. You should access the rear motor to see if the switch is sending power to it.

#5 ·
There are not separate switches for "left-rear" and "right-rear". I think you are confusing the front switch labeled "RR" for "right-rear". The "RR" simple stands for "ReaR". Use either the front switch, or the middle row rotary switch to control ALL of the rears. If you have the front switch at "Off", "Low", or "Hi", the rear switch does nothing (when you don't want the kids fooling with it). When you put the front switch on "RR" (rear), then control is transferred to the rear switch, which has Off, Low, Med, High...or off, 1, 2, 3 (I can't remember).

That said, if at any time, you have significantly different flow on the left versus the right, then yes, some of the flaps/doors must be messed up. The driver temp control (red/blue slider) is what controls the doors. If the driver temp slider is anywhere on the "cold" side, the flap(s) should direct all air to the 4 vents in the roof. It will only blow cold air as well (no actual temp blending in the rear). If the slider is anywhere on the "warm" side, the flap should direct all air to the 1 heat output just behind the right second row seat. Again, it will blow on full-heat, so once the rear heats up, I always shot off the rear completely, and let the front maintain temp, so the kids don't start sweating.

#6 · (Edited)
The owner's manual describes how to use the rear heat and AC, and I had to read it several times to understand it.
I do know that the rear vents can only blow full hot or full cold, nothing in between. Hot or cold is set using the driver's temp control(which believe it or not determines which rear vents will be used) then turning on the rear blower. Selecting cold turns on the AC for the rear even if you don't have the AC on for the "normal" part of the system. After that you can alter the front temp without affecting the rear. AC sourced air comes from the roof vents(and there's no left/right control for it) and heater core sourced air comes from the low, wall mounted vent aft of the right sliding door. As mentioned, there is no heat vent on the left side of the van. Maybe that's why you think there's a problem. However the front doors do have vents that blow to the 2nd row occupants, and even have a lever to direct to the foot height one or the waist height one. However it's not part of the rear heat/AC system, it's whatever the front system is doing. The rear system has its own AC evaporator but shares the compressor with the front system(obviously, there's just one compressor on the engine). The rear also has its own heater core.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.