The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Power steering return hose

31K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  NKP779 
#1 ·
I have to replace the PS return hose (the one connected to the reservoir) as it's sprung a leak. Has anyone replaced just the hose with a piece of 11/32" hose? I see no special reason to replace the whole thing with the factory part. Am I wrong?

#4 · (Edited)
By "factory part" are you thinking the reservoir as well? The reservoir and hose are separate items.

The top hose is the return. Isn't that a 5/16" hose? Where abouts is the leak? Can you cut a piece out and put an in-line filter (or nippled pipe for that matter) in its place? Have you checked for service bulletins/recalls?
Chrysler.com is a source.
Here's another:
1. click on this link.
2. click on "repeat the search with the omitted results included".
3. click on the ARRC link.
4. pick your "year" and take it from there.

#6 ·
OK, apparently I wasn't clear enough so I will try again:

The hose connected to the side of the reservoir is marked "power steering return 11/32" so that should clarify for you both the size and identity of the hose.

This hose is attached at the factory (with a crimp hose clamp) to a metal line.

The dealer sells hose for about $5/ft that is marked with the same "power steering return 11/32" printing on it. The dealer also sells (for about $40 at my dealer) a factory part consisting of the hose and metal line crimped together.

As stated, my hose sprung a leak. Yes, the hose itself, not at either end connection. I replaced just the hose today. 2 ft of hose, $10 at the dealer. You can do that by cutting the factory crimped hose clamp and replacing with regular worm drive clamp. I see no reason to replace the entire assembly, as there is nothing wrong with the metal tube part of it.

Anybody disagree?

#8 ·
Does your reservoir look like the one in this Post.

#7 ·
There is a restrictor on the factory hose to reduce noise or shudder or something. That is the crimp in the middle of the hose. I don't think its worth $40. I would just do the $5 per foot stuff and see how it works. If not, spend $40, I guess.

Its not a high pressure line (max 200psi) when it is cold, and you just start the engine. Otherwise it probably only runs 50psi or less.

#10 ·
This may be an item under current factory recall, my 2003 did the same thing and when I called my local dealer to get a replacement they told me it was recalled, just to bring the car in for a factory repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.