The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

3.8l or 4.0l ?

73K views 61 replies 21 participants last post by  Jeepman 
#1 ·
Seems there is little conversations here and there, but not a good thread on this.. or I missed it.

Seems like the pro for the 3.8 is a timing chain vs a Belt on the 4.0l (anyone know when Chrysler recomends changing the belt? )

A bit better fuel economy with the 4.0l plus more power.

But the 4.0l is harder to find and may require compromising on options.

Plus only newer ones are available so the sticker price is $250 more plus they may not offer the $500 reddot discount. So that $630 option becomes a $1380. I think I am leaning toward the 3.8 on price alone. No plans to tow and no big mountains in Michigan.

Any thought?
:ask_wsign

#5 ·
Timing BELT change is every 100kmiles on MOST ALL engines that have timing BELTS. The chains can go 400kmiles, easy. :blink:
The 3.8L gets better MPG, and overall is a better, more reliable engine. :thumb:
Whichever engine you get, I STRONGLY recommend you get the 6speed tranny. It comes with a "Lifetime Warranty" ....... :headbange

#6 ·
Actually the 4.0 gets better economy by 1mpg city and 2 highway. A much more advanced engine compared to the aging 3.3/3.8 engines.

Both the 3.8 and 4.0 get the 6 speed which is nice, but I would opt for the 4.0. Why? Because it gets better fuel economy with having an extra 50hp and more torque as well. The timing belt is something you know will have to be done so you can save up for the cost starting a few months in advance and not have it be such a hit on the wallet.

More power is always better if you can get it. :cool:

#9 ·
I'd also opt for the 4.0. Better MPG, and timing belt replacement is not THAT expensive... And I drove a 6 speed at WOT for a little bit Friday. It's exceptional. The shifts only drop around 500 RPM so you stay in the torque band. And that was a 3.8.

However no 2010 van comes with a lifetime powertrain warranty, reguardless of transmission choice. 6 year 100K on the powertrain. The limited lifetime powertrain warranty ended in 2009.

#22 ·
I'd also opt for the 4.0. Better MPG, and timing belt replacement is not THAT expensive... And I drove a 6 speed at WOT for a little bit Friday. It's exceptional. The shifts only drop around 500 RPM so you stay in the torque band. And that was a 3.8.

What does your dealership charge for T-belt replacement? If I had a choice it would be the low maintainence, bullet proof 3.8 with the six speed.

#10 ·
I'd personally just wait for the 3.6L Pentastar!:biggrin:

It'll be here for the 2011 model year hopefully. It has more horsepower and better fuel economy than the 4.0L

#11 ·
Yes both come with the 6 speed trans. (AZTraveller can you please post a link or something about the trans having a lifetime warranty, I can't find it anywhere).

The diff in EPA sticker fuel economy is really not significant EPA sticker barely relates to real life and the 1 MPG difference amounts to driving with 1 person in the car of 4 adults.

Ya the 4.0l is "newer" technology, but what does that mean. New technology implemented poorly is far worst then tried and true done right.

I think this has become a mute point for me as wife wants Auto-on lights so we know are looking at T&C Touring instead of GC SXT.

Still want to hear more about this trans warranty.

#17 ·
Yes both come with the 6 speed trans. (AZTraveller can you please post a link or something about the trans having a lifetime warranty, I can't find it anywhere).
Still want to hear more about this trans warranty.
As I post, the limited lifetime powertrain warranty ended in 2009. That's why you can't find anything about it, it no longer exists.

#12 ·
2010 T&C: 3 year/36,000 mile basic warranty and 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain limited warranty per this site.

#13 ·
I have no experience with the 3.8L, but the 4.0L was a great engine. No problems for me on that one.

#15 ·
If the 4.0L is going to cost you upwards of $1000 more and limit your selection, stick with the 3.8.

Personally, I would shop for the van that has the right mix of options you want, regardless of which engine it has. Either one is going to probably be durable and provide surprisingly good fuel mileage.

#16 ·
3.8L has been there, done that, got the t-shirt. The 4.0L hasn't got the t-shirt yet. Lots of 3.8Ls out there if one ever needs a new engine. More availability than a 4.0L.
Is the 4.0L an interference engine, in other words does it self destruct (pistons hit valves) if the timing belt breaks (like some of the old Hondas)?

#18 ·
I'm not sure if it is an interference engine or not. However the 4.0 V6 has been in the Pacifica for quite a few years now, so it's not that new to the market. Plus something is telling me it's a 3.5 V6 that is just bored and stroked, so if that's the case the 3.5 has been around since about 1996 in Intrepid/LHS vehicles. Now the Pentastar, that is really new...

#26 ·
And that's in Tenn. where the dealer labor rate is most likely less than $100/Hr.

#31 ·
$400 for a water pump on a 3.8? $20 pump, about 1 hour labor if you're not too quick. I can put one on in my home shop in 30 minutes. Of course I do have a lift, just like the dealer, but it's still 30 minutes actual time there. I guess I don't have the overhead of a service writer for 30 minutes more to check the car in and out though.

I suspect the timing belt on the 4.0 will take a lot more time. The 3.0 used to take me about 4 hours with water pump and tensioner, about $150 of parts. You'll be getting the 100k spark plugs on the 4.0 along with the belt and I don't know what they cost. Maybe not $40 each like some cars now.

#33 ·
I have no idea where you are getting a pump for $20. They are at least twice that at a parts store. The OEM replacement part is higher. And 30 minutes to do a waterpump on a 4th generation van is extremely fast to say the least, especially seeing how Alldata gives 2.2 hours...

#38 ·
Any 3.8L "flex fuels" out there or are they all 3.3Ls? Do the 4.0Ls have "flex fuel" capability? I don't think so.

#40 ·
:lol: There you go, if you can't get a hybrid, atleast get a van that's corn-compatible. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.