The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Steering wheel shakes

19K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  naben 
#1 ·
Has anybody experience the steering wheel shaking when applying the brakes? My 2009 GC when I apply the brakes when stopping at a light or stop sign the steering wheel shakes sometimes it hardly noticeable and then there are times that it's bad:( Can this be caused by a bad rotor? The pads are still in good shape. Any advise...

#2 ·
Sounds like warped rotors or something on the pads.
Have you actually checked the pads for cracks or loose pieces. Any squealing?
To rule out a sticking caliper, are your brakes heating up much?

Here's a brake troubleshooting Thread.

#3 ·
I have not taken off the wheel to inspect for any cracks on the pad yet. I will jack up the van and take a good look at the pads and rotors. As far as the squealing I have not heard any noise when the brakes are applied. I will take a look at your Thread for brake troubleshooting...thanks for the advise.

#5 ·
#10 ·
I'd turn the rotors. It's a simple procedure that few seem to do anymore. They'd rather you buy new ones.

It's generally a myth that rotors "warp". It's more correctly called "Thickness Variation", or TV:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml
Pending the cost of getting them turned, it's been my experience to buy new. :ask_wsign
My original ones were turned once, so then at 167kmiles, I replaced them with new ones (Checker Auto). Maybe I've been lucky, maybe driving around Arizona I don't use them that much, but they have served well, both originals and replacements. :thumb:

#6 ·
I would take it in and get the dealer to do it. If you have an 09 you may still be covered under the "adjustments" period. If not you may have to pay and get reimbursed by Chrysler directly, I know I did.

#8 ·
If they are warped enough to "shake" the wheel, I would guess you are past turning them. Could it be.......CHINA!

#9 · (Edited)
Can also be caused by a build up of hardened scale on the rotor, sometimes near the center toward the cap, but could be anywhere and can be beat off with a hammer.
Is the rotor flat smooth or uneven smooth.
Does the wearing surface look glossy or does it have a nice sheen from wear?
Are the pads wearing flat or do they have grooves?
Apply the brakes hard and you might not feel any vibration. Apply them gently and you will.

#13 ·
I took the wheels off and clean all the break dusk as much as I can. I don't know if that will do anything since I didn't have time to test drive. I didn't see any hardened scale on the rotor. The rotor is flat smooth, sheen from wear, pads wearing flat but it does have some pitting (little indents), and yes when the brakes are applied hard no vibration...gently and it vibrates. I tend apply the brake easy to a stop vs. my wife who breaks just a couple of feet from stop sign it seems.

#19 ·
:)Just got a change to test drive the GC and the steering wheel doesn't shake anymore. I didn't even have to change the rotors or brake pads. I guess cleaning the dust build up did the trick.:biggrin:
Thank you all who responded to this thread:headbange

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.