The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2002 Chrysler Voyager, 2.4, timing belt change interval?

27K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Sunvanse 
#1 ·
Hi, I've just turned 100,000 miles on my V-Ger and was wondering if I need to change the timing belt?? My van is running fine, I even was able to fix the dreaded pirate ship groan thunk thunk thunk sound by installing sway bar links all by myself (damn this van is making me a handy-man!), anyway, I don't want it to leave my wife and kids stranded, so when do you all think I should change the timing belt? Like I said, knock on wood, no problems yet and runs fine, just trying to be proactive. I would replace the water pump too. It's probably not a job I would attempt to tackle on my own, I would probably take it to a shop for this. Thanks!
Biff

#2 ·
Recommended timing belt replacement (which should include the water pump and timing belt tensioner as good preventative maintenance) is 100,000 (or maybe 102,000) miles. So your right there. I'd do it... or have it done...

#4 ·
I have this to be done this week- I shopped and found timing belt kit (includes tensioner) water pump, serpentine belt (with tensioner), alternator and PS belts for $839.
You know that the serpentine belt handles the water pump, alt, a/c, and steering all in one right? Just making sure no one thought they could charge you for multiple belts.

#5 ·
Someone I know is attempting this repair on his 2000 2.4 voyager. It is NOT an easy repair to do in your driveway with a standard set of hand tools. He finally got it back together, double checked timing marks by hand turning engine with spark plugs removed. He took it for a test ride, ran "ok" but stalled every time he would come to a stop. Took timing cover off, timing is off by one tooth. Now he has to do the entire job over again except for the new water pump. At least the harmonic balancer wont take 2 hours to remove this time. For some reason the interval for T-belt change on 2.4 mini vans is 120,000 miles/84 months per owners manual. For sedans with the same engine the interval is 105,000 miles or 84 months which ever comes first. My friend had 104,000 miles/120 months, the belt was still in excellent condition, but the tensioner pulley disintergrated with ball bearings at the bottom of the T-belt cover.

#7 ·
Andy... this is a 4cyl van. It has a timing belt, serp. belt, and A/C (or maybe PS pump) belt. So it HAS 3 belts. Not just the one.

And that price for all that work is more than fair, IMHO.

#10 ·
Timing belt in my daughters 2000 Cirrus 2.4 with 92,715 miles snapped, also due to blown tensioner. Had it towed to an independant garage. Was preparing for the worst and hoping for the best price-wise. Talk about a fair price, only 3.5 hours + slightly marked up parts, $510.00 + tax. I think I've finally found a mechanic I can go to for the over my head jobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.