The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Transmission wont shift out of 2nd gear

96K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  dillontreadway6 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country mini van, It will not shift out of 2nd gear, as a matter in fact it starts in 2nd gear. Reverse works fine. I just changed the filter and fluid with atf+4, and replaced the shift solenoid. Just a guess. It still does not work. Any other suggestions?:

#4 ·
These tranny's are "SMART" and can be scanned by any tranny shop. So, select 2 or more tranny shops and ask to get it scanned, get copies of the scans (printouts) and let us know what it says. May be something as simple as a bad wire, or corroded connector.

#5 ·
Be sure your radiator oil cooler is clear, if it will not pass enough fluid, it may not shift properly, but you have to tell us more. What motivated your changing fluid, sol, filter? Was it doing this before that moved you to change it? What model tranny and engine? Codes? 1st and reverse used to work on the same band, others on a different band. I believe that limp in is 2nd and reverse, but I could be wrong. Sounds like limp in mode, have you tried disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes or so and starting over?

#6 ·
I'm still sticking to is the check engine light on and whether or not the speedometer is working. A lot of transmission related codes can be set to the PCM as a P0 code and retrieved with the key dance method or a scanner at autozone. Like input or output speed sensors and such. There will also be a PO code set to the PCM if there is a code present in the TCM, it says "transmission fault code set" or something along those lines, which turns on the check engine light as well.

#7 ·
make sure your TCM relay is in place (and 100% functional) and the wiring and plug on the solenoids is clean and tight... pull the IOD fuse for 10min and try again

if that does not help,
get it scanned for codes, and have "quick learn" performed on it if no faults are found..

Whenever changing the solenoid assy, you should have the CVI's reset as wrong values can reek havoc on tranny operation

#8 ·
You would only reset CVI's if the clutches were actually replaced with new ones. They have nothing to do with the solenoid pack.

#9 ·
it's up to the person who's changing out the solenoid assy, but I'm not making this up..
FSM said:
REMOVAL
NOTE: If solenoid/pressure switch assembly is
being replaced, the ªQuick-Learnº procedure must
be performed.
(Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELEC-
TRONIC CONTROL MODULES/TRANSMISSION
CONTROL MODULE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

#11 ·
A bad output sensor, or an electrical disconnect at it, will activate "limp mode". Speedometer won't work either as sideburns2009 says. I know because I disconnected my 2002's once and found that out. CEL will normally come on with "limp mode".

Check for stretched / broken wires, caused by unsecured weight of the bulky wiring harness pulling on them, at the output sensor. Recently Miron had a problem with a broken wire to the output sensor per this Post.

As to a quick learn, it's not normally required any more than for a transmission fluid change. The "intelligent" transmission will adjust on its own the same as it does to a transmission fluid change. When discussing this with some mechanics at a local Chrysler Dealership, a couple years back, they said that a "quick learn" was not normally required with a solenoid pack change.

Like with a transmission fluid change, a "quick learn", which puts the transmission shifting settings back to "default" settings, may/will help the transmission adjust quicker and be smoother. My last fluid change, without "quick learn", took about two weeks to get things back to normal. They say 75 restarts/operation max. should do it.

What activates "limp mode"? This Post has some info on that.

#12 ·
RE: Quick Learn & CVI

I'm not trying to sell anything, there are reasons why the factory service manual tells you to perform it.. (Just as there are reasons, you may want to skip the trip to the dealer.. :) )

AND NO! Quick Learn is not required / recommended after a fluid & filter change...

BTW, Quick Learn is essentially a CVI reset - not only does it reset the CVIs, but it also calculates approximate new values (to improve shift quality).

FSM said:
STANDARD PROCEDURE - QUICK LEARN
PROCEDURE
The quick learn procedure requires the use of the
DRBIIIt scan tool. This program allows the PCM to
recalibrate itself. This will provide the best possible
transaxle operation.
NOTE: The quick learn procedure should be per-
formed if any of the following procedures are per-
formed:
• Transaxle Assembly Replacement
• Powertrain Control Module Replacement
• Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly Replacement
• Clutch Plate and/or Seal Replacement
• Valve Body Replacement or Recondition
To perform the Quick Learn Procedure, the follow-
ing conditions must be met:
• The brakes must be applied
• The engine speed must be above 500 rpm
• The throttle angle (TPS) must be less than 3
degrees
• The shift lever position must stay until
prompted to shift to overdrive
• The shift lever position must stay in overdrive
after the Shift to Overdrive prompt until the
DRBIIIt indicates the procedure is complete
• The calculated oil temperature must be above
60° and below 200°
FSM said:
TRANSMISSION CONTROL
CLUTCH VOLUME INDEX (CVI)
An important function of the PCM is to monitor
Clutch Volume Index (CVI). CVIs represent the vol-
ume of fluid needed to compress a clutch pack.
The PCM monitors gear ratio changes by monitor-
ing the Input and Output Speed Sensors. The Input,
or Turbine Speed Sensor sends an electrical signal to
the PCM that represents input shaft rpm. The Out-
put Speed Sensor provides the PCM with output
shaft speed information.
By comparing the two inputs, the PCM can deter-
mine transaxle gear ratio. This is important to the
CVI calculation because the PCM determines CVIs
by monitoring how long it takes for a gear change to
occur (Fig. 10).
Gear ratios can be determined by using the DRB
Scan Tool and reading the Input/Output Speed Sen-
sor values in the ªMonitorsº display. Gear ratio can
be obtained by dividing the Input Speed Sensor value
by the Output Speed Sensor value.
For example, if the input shaft is rotating at 1000
rpm and the output shaft is rotating at 500 rpm,
then the PCM can determine that the gear ratio is
2:1. In direct drive (3rd gear), the gear ratio changes
to 1:1. The gear ratio changes as clutches are applied
and released. By monitoring the length of time it
takes for the gear ratio to change following a shift
request, the PCM can determine the volume of fluid
used to apply or release a friction element.
The volume of transmission fluid needed to apply
the friction elements are continuously updated for
adaptive controls. As friction material wears, the vol-
ume of fluid need to apply the element increases.
Certain mechanical problems within the clutch
assemblies (broken return springs, out of position
snap rings, excessive clutch pack clearance, improper
assembly, etc.) can cause inadequate or out-of-range
clutch volumes. Also, defective Input/Output Speed
Sensors and wiring can cause these conditions. The
following chart identifies the appropriate clutch vol-
umes and when they are monitored/updated:

#13 ·
tcm

speed odomer does not work, tach does not work, check engine light is on. after having a code scan done 3 times (and having replaced the input and output speed sensor) it seems i need a tcm for my 2001 voyager. where would be a good place to get one at a reasonable price in sc? thanks

#14 ·
Check wires

Having dealt with this last summer, I would suggest that in addition to checking the speed input/output sensors, that you check the wires going to them. On my 2002, the wires had degraded so they were making intermittent contact. Replaced the wires and my transmission problem was solved.

#17 ·
there are no true analog gauges on the 4th gen, everything in you cluster is digital. Start by running the cluster diagnostic / calibration test (hold trip button while turning key to ON pos. & do a search for all the correct calibration points and error codes..)

#19 ·
I also have the same 2001 T&C. First codes after starting "limp mode": P0700 & P0605, so had it checked by Chrysler & independent tranny shop...both said to replace the TCM...did that with online purchase of "programmed" TCM. This did not change in limp mode.
That brought up Code P0760 "solenoid C error" which indicated "replace the Solenoid Pack"...did that with purchase from AutoZone. Again this did NOT change limp mode. Now I have Code P0750 "solenoid A error", which also indicates to "replace the Solenoid Pack"!
Now I have tested the terminals on the Solenoid Pack with an ohmmeter and terminals 4+6 & 4+7 (& 4+8) all read: 1.5 ohms...all within range. (pins 1,2&3 all have no reading of ohms).

Now I have to research more...including contact with the seller of the TCM, then online, then ??? Any help here? Thanks!

#21 ·
Van goes in Limp Mode on and off

We recently purchased a 2002 Town & Country that goes into Limp Mode on and off.

Not that it matters, but we're in Florida.

Early in the morning, when it's cooler, the van shifts fine. When temperatures warm up later in the day, the van goes into Limp Mode, speedometer and RPM work fine.

I'm off to pick up and replace the speed sensor, but fear the issue may be computer (TCM) related.

Any insight you could provide is greatly appreciated. God bless!!!

#23 ·
Temperature related issue

You might be right. I don't understand how higher temperatures (expansion) causes a short, when it should be the other way around. When wires (or a component) are cooler and stiff, the tranny shifts great, meaning the mechanical aspect of the transmission is working fine.

Gotta be electrical, I'll start with installing the speed sensor and checking that connection/wires later today, then pray, then give it a go...

#25 ·
Hey, motormanmar... thank you for reporting your outcome.
Some day, some poor, desolate, frustrated, at their wits end... soul is going to read that and be able to fix their own car for $20.
I think you are GREAT!
cheers.

#26 ·
These tranny's are "SMART" and can be scanned by any tranny shop. So, select 2 or more tranny shops and ask to get it scanned, get copies of the scans (printouts) and let us know what it says. May be something as simple as a bad wire, or corroded connector.
Mine is doing the same thing had it changed and it sed it wasn't getting the right amount of power but I had a new battery in my other car and still nothing could it be the transmission control module?