The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

I don't like what it does to itself at start-up...

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sellinghomes4u 
#1 ·
I presume it's quite normal for the Engine management computer to start the thing up with the throttle open, and slow it down once it gets going? ('02 T&C 3.8l).

Mine seems to jump up to about 1500RPM with a hearty roar the instant it fires, then slowly backs it down to about 900RPM until it warms up, whereafter it does about 600. If I have the windows open, I can hear what I think is the valve lifters clacking momentarily until the oil pressure gets up. Doing 1500RPM with all the oil sitting in the sump is not good in my book, even if it is just for one or two seconds.

When I was a kid, I had this old geezer living next door to me, and he'd start his old Austin 1100 up with his foot on the boards, and hold it there for a good few seconds. Used to make me cringe. What big-end bearings...?

Anyone care to comment? Has anyone put that Slick50 stuff in their motor?

#2 ·
Yeah, that's how our '02 3.3L operates upon starting too. All of our minivans have done that, in fact--as does my '00 Neon. It makes me a little nervous, especially on those -20F mornings.

Remember the old days of depressing the throttle to set the choke, which also set the "fast idle" on the linkage? I thought that was even worse than the blip of RPM that occurs with the newer, EFI engines.

My grandad used to plant his foot to the floor after starting his various Chrysler New Yorkers. For some reason, they seemed to take it.

Drew

#4 ·
Don't you just love it when people drop the tranny in gear while the engine is revving like that?

We have some Ford Tauruses as staff cars where I work. Those things rev like crazy (2000+ RPM) when first started and they don't idle down for at least a minute. Sometimes, I have no choice but to drop them into gear while they're still revving. Yikes.

With the Caravan and the Neon however, they idle down within about 15 seconds or so. I always wait until the tach is safely down below 900 RPM before engaging a gear...

Drew

#5 ·
I do use Rislone oil treatment for some oil-burning control. Seems to work OK. Doesn't seem to have any affect on valve tapping. You may wish to try a product made specifically to reduce valve chatter on start up, as Rislone is not really made for that.

On a seperate topic, mine chatters for a good ol' long time. Usually a minute or two. Sounds like a diesel engine when I'm waiting for it to warm up... I REALLY wish they made Maxlife in, say, a 5W40 variety instead of the heavy 10W40 I'm using now....

#6 ·
I'm not too sure about this but I got to start up a 3.8L T&C and damn was it loud! I guess the 3.8 is just a little loud on start up. I know its a pain in the ass but there's not much you can do.

#7 ·
It's fine. Use good quality oil & filter (no Frams) do not use heavy weight oils. Depending on year and temperature 5-30 or 10-30 is called for. Don't deviate! 10-40, etc. will cause ring sticking etc. and exagerrate startup noises.
The engines today are designed for QUICK oil flow. If you don't get to a fast idle relatively quickly oil will not pump correctly. It's balancing act......yes so don't upset the balance by using crappy oil and filters or additives.
Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.