The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2003 3.3L T &C with airbag light on.....

15K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  mdbauer1962 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Town and Country, and the airbag warning light started coming on intermittently a few months ago, and now is on all the time. I read that some of the 05's have a recall on these sensors, but does the warranty cover the 2003's? I am a little nervous messing with any of the sensors....

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!!!

Thx - Mark

#2 ·
There is a "LIFETIME" Warranty on the "CLOCKSPRING". The clockspring is a flexible connection in the steering wheel. It tends to break over time. Since the AirBags are part of the "Safety System" on the vans, it is covered even if you have a 1995 w/300kmiles on it ...... Several people have had theirs replaced twice (under warranty). Another way to verify it's the clockspring is if your cruise control and/or horn no longer works (pressing the center of the steering wheel, nolonger activates the horn).

Definitely test those other items and then swing by the dealer. Don't take any stress from him on the replacement. :jpshakehe

Keep us informed. :thumb:

#3 ·
AZ, the clock spring recall is ONLY for 1996 to 2000 model year vehicles (Only 3rd generation vans). There is no clockspring recall for 4th Generation vans.

Mark PM me the last 8 of your VIN, current mileage, and last name and I'll let you know if you have an incomplete recall or not.

#4 ·
Well, still looking for help here. I searched under "airbag light" and found some posts, but I still haven't solved my issue. A post said the airbag sensors are behind the front fascia in the foglight arear. How do I find these, and what do they the sensors look like? Do I have to remove the fascia, or perhaps the wheel liners? I want to look over the wiring to them. I am a little nervous of an accidental deployment, so I will disconnect the battery terminals before I do anything else.

As stated, the light was on only intermittently a few months ago, and now the light is on all the time. I want to make sure my van is safe and my wife and kids protected.....

#6 ·
So, doing a little searching online for air bags issues on Chrysler 4th generation vans, and I found a few references to the steering column "clockspring". I even found a Dorman PN 525101 that is supposed to be for a 01 - 05 Chrysler van.

Has anyone ever had this fail in a '03? A post in my string says an '03 doesn't have a clock spring. Can someone confirm that indeed a 03 uses the clockspring, and if so, perhaps I will order one and change it as step one since they seem to be a weak link.....

http://www.streetsideauto.com/produ...nt=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping

#10 ·
Mark all vehicles with an airbag use a clock spring. Period. They are not a weak link on a 4th generation. I'd not spend money throwing parts at the problem, I'd take it to the dealer and have the air bag system properly diagnosed. You can spend way more money throwing parts at the problem than you would spend having it diagnosed properly then buying the proper part.

#7 ·
AZ Traveler - thanks for the advice. I do plan to go to the dealer to see if they will warrenty the issue, but a call to my closest dealer in Friday ended with a "probably not" when I asked about the airbag light. The service tech I spoke to said that they would be happy to look at the issue, but since there were no published recalls for my vin range, they would have to charge for diagnosis and repairs.

So, just trying to see if I can find the problem myself if possible. The (st)dealers here in Detroit are the worst I have ever seen, no concept of customer service, and they like to argue with their customers. Just taking it in is stressful, and I enjoy fixing things myself when possible....

#9 ·
In that case, you write down your VIN number, call Customer service and discuss it with them.. They will direct you to the appropriate solution. Customer Service has been very helpful to us.

The airbag system is nothing to touch for the amateur.

#11 ·
Well- finally took the vehicle to the dealer for the quick learn on the trans after changing the fluid as a good measure - YEA, shifts like a new van !!!

AND, even better , had the dealer diagnose the airbag system. The scan said the issue was the drivers side seat belt pretensioner. The dealer quoted $277 + 1 hour to replace. I had him order one since he had no stock, but when I got home, I disconnected the battery, and after letting the van sit for about an hour, I pulled the plug blocks under the driver seat apart, and applied a little dielectric grease to the pins. Plugged them back in nice and tightly, and Yea Ha !!! The air bag light went off !!! It was just a poor connection under the seat !!!! I woulda thought the technician would at least check the connections !!! He charged an hour just to plug in the scanner !!!

I suspected the pretensioner was not the problem since a forum seach and a web search came up empty on "Chrysler pretensioner problems".

So - THANKS to the forum again for the help !!!!! Saved me almost $400 !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.