The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Whine/static from radio

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  tcwagner1 
#1 ·
My 2003 T&C has a whine and static noise coming from the right dash speaker only. Does it on both radio and cd(factory radio). It will go away when the headlight switch is turned off. I was thinking maybe a bad diode in the alternator? That speaker is the closest to the alternator(almost right above it). Any ideas?

#4 ·
Correction- sometimes turning the headlight switch off stops the noise, sometimes it does not. Whining is not always there either. Most of the time it is just static. The volume control knob does not affect it either, the static stays at the same volume no matter what position it is in (except for the off position- it does not have static in the off position). No other electric components affect it at all. I will give it a tune up this spring (with high quality wires, etc.) when it is warmer outside and see if that fixes it. Thanks

#5 ·
I have a 2003 Grand Caravan with factory stereo & 6-cd changer. I also get a very low level of static, most noticable during gaps in music or pauses in radio programing. Sound most obvious from the the front speakers. Have experimented with the cause and it only occurs for me when the headlights are on. Also, when you flash the bright lights, you can hear a change in the static interference on the radio. This appears to be something endemic to the Chrysler electronics and control systems on the van and has done it since it was new. I've learned to live with it just like the slight interior dome/map lighting occilations when at idle. Not much help with your problem, just a note to confirm that your not the only one with a similar issue.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. I noticed the other day instead of the usual static or whining it had a "tick" sound that seemed to match the engine speed. Again, only from the passenger side dash speaker. So maybe it is interference from the ignition.

#7 ·
If your wires are old, they could be leaking. But it sounds to me like there is a problem with the ground on the radio. The cage usually is grounded to absorb radio interference. Any wire can act like an antennae if it is ungrounded, so I would inspect the ground wire on the radio. If there is a relay for the lights somewhere over on that side, that is something to check, but I don't think there is one. Check the grounding on the antennae, if you have the stick up type. If it is not well grounded, it could pick up static from parts on the passenger side especially. The cable should have a shielded ground going to the radio. Check for corrosion on the connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.