The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2004 Town and Country Rack Knocking Noise

15K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  kevioll 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 T&C with a knock in the steering. Happens when I turn the wheel back and forth when parking. I park in a parking garage and I notice it more when driving up and down the garage levels. I looked at the front suspension last weekend and did not find anything loose. I have already replaced the swaybar end links and bushings (moog). Did 2004 model year have the problem with the inner tie rod going bad?

Thanks

#2 ·
What mileage are you at?

The inner tie rods are known to go fairly early, but the steering racks are also known to fail on the early 4th gen vans.

You can test the tie rods by jacking the vehicle up and grabbing the tire at the 3 and 9 oclock positions. If you can wiggle the tire sideways (like it is steering) and hear a thud, the tie rod may be bad.

#3 ·
It has 40k on it. I did the test, jacked the front end and tried to move the tire. No movement felt. I grabbed the steering rod and tried to push and pull no movement seen or felt. I looked at the strut bearing too and did not see any play. I may have to wait until it gets worse. Not looking to get the van realigned so I will not mess with the steering.

#4 ·
Both sides you tried?

I hate to ask that but the pack of pluralization makes me think you only tried 1 tire. Both can do it and even if it sounds like it is from a specific side, it very well could be the other.

40k is low for tie rods though. If you also grab the tires at the 12 and 6 positions and see if it rocks, that is a good way to test for bad bearings, which can also clunk.

#5 ·
Rack issue???

2EZ:

The wife's 05 had a worn out inner TR at 22K. Dodge does not replace individual TR's, so they replaced the rack under warranty.

Another way I like to use to evaluate steering components you can try, but requires a second person to rock the steering wheel back and forth while the engine is off but key is in the RUN position.

Have someone do this, and crawl under there with wheels on the ground. Look for any steering parts that don't move in sync, or move with some delay. You can also listen for clunks and other noises indicative of wear or loose hardware.

I understand that the hardware that secures the rack to the subframe has been known to loosen up.

Don

#6 ·
2EZ:

The wife's 05 had a worn out inner TR at 22K. Dodge does not replace individual TR's, so they replaced the rack under warranty.

Another way I like to use to evaluate steering components you can try, but requires a second person to rock the steering wheel back and forth while the engine is off but key is in the RUN position.

Have someone do this, and crawl under there with wheels on the ground. Look for any steering parts that don't move in sync, or move with some delay. You can also listen for clunks and other noises indicative of wear or loose hardware.

I understand that the hardware that secures the rack to the subframe has been known to loosen up.

Don

Thanks, I'll recheck the rack this weekend.

#7 ·
I pulled the wheels off and checked the strut mount, tie rod, and could not find any part loose. The only end play was in the CV joint. If the problem is the rack I can't repeat the problem standing still. The rack is NOT leaking. I looked under the van while someone moved the wheel back and forth. Did not see any problems. I did hear the knocking but It looked like it comes from either the steering or CV shafts. Nothing obvious.

#8 ·
#9 ·
The link wants you to buy a membership to download the pdf.:jpshakehe

#10 ·
No, the link is for the download of an Adobe PDF file. Select the free download it allows you to download the file for free after 60 sec or so.

Thanks

#12 ·
Check the bolts on the rack, they can come loose and allow the rack to bump at the end of travel.

#13 ·
[Problem Solved]

I went back and rechecked ever suspension part for signs of a problem. The rack was tight and no leaks. I had just replaced the sway bar end links a few weeks ago. I pulled one side off and drove with just one end link connected. No more knocking sound. :thumb: (Wow what a difference between sway bar and no sway bar. That van swayed like a dump truck :eek:) Problem was the Moog sway bar bushings I replaced about 8 months ago were bad. It must have been caused by the bad end links? I took the bushings out and got a free replacement set and now the van drives without any knocking from the front suspension.

Thanks for all the help.

#14 ·
You know, I think these moog bushings are garbage. Mine lasted about a total of 6 months and they are junk already. I have had good luck with moog in the past but I will be going to the dealer to replace these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.