The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

CD player not working after Battery change

35K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  yell2eric 
#1 ·
After changing the battery for my Dodge Grand Caravan 2002 ES, the CD player wont work. The lights are blinking on the cd panel. It is a built in 5 CD changer. I tried disconnecting the negative terminal out for 30 minutes or more but still that did not re set the CD player. Anyone know whats wrong or how to reset this?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Which lights are blinking? The ones for the equalizer controls? In a High, Low, Off pattern?
If your answer is yes, than I'm sorry to say that your cd player is likely shot. It's a common situation on the 2g Stratus (01+) which uses the same radios as our vans.

#4 ·
Just read your other thread about the brake light. You weren't talking about the cd changer built into the radio, you were talking about the one that sits down below the AC controls, right?
Can you describe which lights are blinking on that? You may also have to pull the panel out and disconnect and re-connect the wires that run between the radio and the changer.
I was thrown off by the 4 cd changer (which is common for the radio based changers), the typical external changer is 5 disc. Not too common to see the 4disc external in the vans.

#5 ·
Hi. yes its the cd player below the AC. The lights are just on the Cd buttons which lets you eject each CD. There are no other buttons on the cd player/changer. Now i cant remember if its 4 or 5 CD player.

How do i pull the panel?

Thanks for all your help. This is a great forum.. i have been doing a lot of self service work :)

#6 ·
#7 ·
There isn't any codes. OP's radio works, just not the external changer.

Does the changer make any noise when you try to insert/eject discs?

To pull the panel out right above the cup holder is a thin piece of plastic. Gently pull that out from the bottom, it is just clipped in. Hidden underneath this small piece is 2 screws. Remove those, and pull gently up. The rest of the middle dash is just clipped in. You'll see the screws holding in the radio/ac/cd changer once that is removed. Try to remove the cable from between the radio and changer, turn on the radio and see if there is any error, shut down again, and re-connect the cable. If this does not work, you may have a failed changer unit, and it will need to be replaced.

#9 ·
Pull the IOD fuse, or just the Radio fuse if you have one. It's a lot easier than the whole battery, especially since you'll be pulling it and putting it back a couple of times.
I didn't mention, but pull the cable from both ends (radio and changer) to make sure nothing got shaken loose over the years.

#10 ·
I disconnected the CD player and reconnected it. The lights are still blinking, did not fix it. However i did not remove the radio connection as it wasnt accessible that easy so i left it as is. Radio was/is working fine.

is there any way else to reset the cd player other than just disconnecting it.

This sucks :(

#13 ·
same cd changer issue

I have the same cd changer issue. It is a 4 disc cd changer from a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country. I pulled the old changer out and replaced it with another like it. Now I get the lights flashing on the front. When I put the old radio back in, the lights don't flash (of course that one doesn't work).... so what's the deal?? My dealer says that there is no code for this radio or van. I have no idea what to do now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.