Interchangable Parts from My Chrysler Sebring LX?



ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 74

Thread: Interchangable Parts from My Chrysler Sebring LX?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    On the world wide web
    Posts
    714
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 20 Times in 10 Posts


    Interchangable Parts from My Chrysler Sebring LX?

    I posted a while ago that I was recently Given a 2001 Chrysler sebring LX, It has a rod knock and its gonna be a second Project for 2009. If I change my mind and want to junk it, it has a the 2.7L engine in it, with a A-606 42LE transmission in it.. Will that transmission fit my caravan?..My Gram has a 2001 Chrysler 300M and if anything Ill save the transmision for her car, she only has 41,000 miles on her 300m but you never know..

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Niles Il.
    Posts
    10,106
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 495 Times in 457 Posts


    from what I read, the 42le is turned 90* to make it front drive with a traditional rwd engine layout. I don't think the trans would be much use to you unless you wanted to make your engine longitudinally mounted for some reason in the future. I would get a used 2.7 engine for cheap and replace it. I know they have sludging issues, but it is not too hard to take the new engine apart and clean it up.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

    '69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    9,442
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 66 Times in 50 Posts


    I don't think it has a 42LE transmission. In Chrysler nomenclature, L = Longitudinal (as in north-south, or typical RWD fashion), and T = Transverse (as in sideways, like our vans are).

    4 = number of speeds
    2 = relative strength of transmission (1 = lowest, up through 6 and 8 sometimes)
    L = longitudinal
    E = electronic controlled

    Our vans use a 41TE, or a relatively weak 4-speed transverse electronic unit. My Dakota has a 44LE, a modestly strong 4-speed longitudinal electronic unit.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Niles Il.
    Posts
    10,106
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 495 Times in 457 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I don't think it has a 42LE transmission. In Chrysler nomenclature, L = Longitudinal (as in north-south, or typical RWD fashion), and T = Transverse (as in sideways, like our vans are).

    4 = number of speeds
    2 = relative strength of transmission (1 = lowest, up through 6 and 8 sometimes)
    L = longitudinal
    E = electronic controlled

    Our vans use a 41TE, or a relatively weak 4-speed transverse electronic unit. My Dakota has a 44LE, a modestly strong 4-speed longitudinal electronic unit.
    True. If it does happen to be a 42te or 41, you could use it in the van. It will make acceleration better due to transfer and drive ratio changes for the smaller engine as well. Depends on if you like gas mileage or go power.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

    '69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tunkhannock, PA
    Posts
    431
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I don't think it has a 42LE transmission. In Chrysler nomenclature, L = Longitudinal (as in north-south, or typical RWD fashion), and T = Transverse (as in sideways, like our vans are).

    4 = number of speeds
    2 = relative strength of transmission (1 = lowest, up through 6 and 8 sometimes)
    L = longitudinal
    E = electronic controlled

    Our vans use a 41TE, or a relatively weak 4-speed transverse electronic unit. My Dakota has a 44LE, a modestly strong 4-speed longitudinal electronic unit.
    Lets not forget the 41AE for those of us blessed with AWD
    2005 Kia Sorento LX 4x4 44,000mi
    2003 Chrysler T&C Limited 3.8l AWD 145,000mi Traded in 9/14/11
    2000 Dodge Stratus ES v6 179,000 sold 7/2011

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    9,442
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 66 Times in 50 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by aKids2003_DGC View Post
    I posted a while ago that I was recently Given a 2001 Chrysler sebring LX, It has a rod knock and its gonna be a second Project for 2009. If I change my mind and want to junk it, it has a the 2.7L engine in it, with a A-606 42LE transmission in it.. Will that transmission fit my caravan?..My Gram has a 2001 Chrysler 300M and if anything Ill save the transmision for her car, she only has 41,000 miles on her 300m but you never know..
    Reading this closer, I'm not sure it'll work in the 300M either. The 300M's engine does sit longitudinally, but it's still FWD. The Sebring, as far as I recall, uses a standard transverse layout. In other words, I don't think that Sebring's transmission would be any good for anything other than a Sebring. I'm sure it wouldn't even directly bolt into one of our vans; the mounting points are likely different, etc.

    My question is more about the engine; is the rod knock a sure thing? How bad is it? What has been done to try to remedy it (if anything)?
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Southaven, MS
    Posts
    2,923
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 88 Times in 73 Posts


    The transmissions you mentioned...the 42LE, is a 41TE with a different diff and output. It was used in the LH platform. You know, the crazy setup on the LHS, Concorde,Intrepid,300M, etc. with the engine longitudinal yet it's still FWD. Though it was also used with the 2.7 in the intrepids(longitudinal mount) it wasn't used in the sebrings. The sebring has the 41TE with both the 2.4 and the 2.7 engines. So that transmission would fit in your van, if the mounts are the same...which they probably are, if anything the internals would. As for anything else, scrap it. Not much you can use for it for your van or the 300m save for maybe an alternator or something if it fits. The 2.7 is based on the 3.5 which is based on the 3.3. The 2.7 however is known for sludge issue's which is probably what caused the rod knock, from lack of oil circulation. It's probably toast. If you took a valve cover off, it'd more than likely be coated in peanut butter, depending on the mileage.
    2001 Infiniti i30 3.0 DOHC V6: VQ30DE 177,000 miles; 1999 Nissan Altima GLE KA24 168,000 Miles
    1997 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9 46RE, 182,000 Miles
    Prev. 97 T&C LXi 184k 3.8, 94 T&C 3.8 156k Miles, 93 GV LE 3.3 123k

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Niles Il.
    Posts
    10,106
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 495 Times in 457 Posts


    Myself, I would pull the oil pan, replace the rod bearings and clean out the sludge by hand then run many oil flushes through the engine. Unless it was a headgasket or something that failed.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

    '69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Southaven, MS
    Posts
    2,923
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 88 Times in 73 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    Myself, I would pull the oil pan, replace the rod bearings and clean out the sludge by hand then run many oil flushes through the engine. Unless it was a headgasket or something that failed.
    Well, with the early 2.7's, like the one in this sebring, that would only be a band-aid. The oil passages were to narrow and it caused slow circulation, cooking the oil, there was also PCV system issues and timing chain issues. There were just a lot of design flaws in the head. The bottom end is tough, it's the same as the 3.5, the heads are different though...their attempt at DOHC didn't turn out so well. They supposedly fixed it, though I've read a few complaints of 2.7 failures in the 300's as well (LX platform)
    2001 Infiniti i30 3.0 DOHC V6: VQ30DE 177,000 miles; 1999 Nissan Altima GLE KA24 168,000 Miles
    1997 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9 46RE, 182,000 Miles
    Prev. 97 T&C LXi 184k 3.8, 94 T&C 3.8 156k Miles, 93 GV LE 3.3 123k

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    335
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by sideburns2009 View Post
    Well, with the early 2.7's, like the one in this sebring, that would only be a band-aid. The oil passages were to narrow and it caused slow circulation, cooking the oil, there was also PCV system issues and timing chain issues. There were just a lot of design flaws in the head. The bottom end is tough, it's the same as the 3.5, the heads are different though...their attempt at DOHC didn't turn out so well. They supposedly fixed it, though I've read a few complaints of 2.7 failures in the 300's as well (LX platform)
    I think the use of synthetic oil and frequent oil changes will significantly aid in engine life with the 2.7. One of the issues is the water pump is internal and when it leaks, it gums up the oil.
    Current Cars:
    2004 Chrysler Town and Country 3.3, 227,000 miles
    2004 Chrysler Concorde 90,000 miles
    2008 Chevy Malibu 79,000 miles

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. My Chrysler Sebring fill in..1990 Beretta GT
    By aKids2003_DGC in forum Chrysler Mid-Sized & Compact Cars
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 12:59 AM
  2. OEM Chrysler Parts on-line
    By skidad in forum 3rd Generation Chrysler Minivans: 1996-2000
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 03:18 PM
  3. Chrysler repainting parts of my van
    By PCE Scott in forum 4th. Generation Chrysler Minivans: 2001-2007
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 11:19 PM
  4. Mirror Glass Interchangable
    By freebie-1 in forum 4th. Generation Chrysler Minivans: 2001-2007
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 09:31 PM
  5. Chrysler Parts
    By tysons4 in forum 4th. Generation Chrysler Minivans: 2001-2007
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 09:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts