The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Remove high pressure steering hose/ 99 TC. HELP

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  tcwagner1 
#1 ·
Help Please. I have 99 T/C minivan. 3.8 motor, 2wd. I tried to replace the high pressure hose that runs from the Power steering pump to the ....rack? The end at the pump was a piece of cake. I wasn't so successful at the other end. I can't seem to get any wrench's up where the hose goes through the nut. What's the secret? Please help. Thanks,

#2 ·
I replaced my rack and had to do the same job. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I know I had to cut down the wrench so I could get it in there to use. It was a big pain as the lines were TIGHT.

Good luck.

#3 ·
I did the same on my 90 GC. I ground down (made thinner), I believe it was a 15mm wrench to get it in there. I just looked on the Autozone repair manual for this and it shows a crowfoot wrench on the end of a long extension, to get at this flare nut without lowering the crossmember. It looks like a flare nut crowfoot, but I don't know where you would find it unless Napa has one, I know you can buy a set at Harbor Freight for not too much.

Say, does anyone know if you can cut the ferrule off and reattach the hose using a couple of gas line hose clamps on the high pressure side? I did this on an old Coronet 440 I had and it worked great, but I don't know if the pressures on these racks are too high to do it. That may be all you need to do, if you can't get the other end off the rack.

Welcome SandRWeimer

#6 ·
So did the leak stop? Hope all is well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.