The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Broken tire valve stem - $100+ repair to replace TPMS sensor or warranty?

246K views 129 replies 59 participants last post by  mfr 
#1 ·
I went to fill up my tires (Yokohamas on an 09 T&C) the other day, and one valve stem broke when I put the air hose on it.

The tire still needed air, so I went to the local Firestone, and they replaced the valve stem for $15, and gave me the original valve stem which includes the TPMS sensor. They said this is about a $100 item from Chrysler, and that the dealer may replace it under warranty.

I will give a call to the dealer next week and see if they can replace it, but has anyone had this experience? Is this covered under warranty?

Thanks,
Dan

#2 ·
It depends on why it failed. If the tire had been rubbed, or if the tire was driven flat, that can cause the TPMS to fail. That probably will not be covered under warranty. However if it just happened, it may be. I'm not sure if Firestone breaking the tire open will matter or not. It would have been best to have taken it to the dealer and let them deal with your tire issue, that way they have no questions about improper disassembly...

#3 ·
Not sure why the dealer would question Firestone opening the tire. If the stem broke & I needed to drive the van any distance I would have new stem installed ASAP, TPMS or no. Without clear evidence of abuse, Chrysler should replace under warranty. Honest attempt to air up tire is not abuse.

BTW-I hate this TPMS BS, which they admit will miss up to half of serious low-tire pressure events anyway. MUCH more important, functional, and effective safety stuff US could mandate on vehicles for less cost (like daytime running lights).

#4 ·
The problem with TPMS is that "most" people just don't get it. Especially in colder climates. When the temperatures drop (as the often do for me) to -35C or lower, the idiot light is ON, ALOT. If I adjust the pressure in the tires to compensate for that drop, once the tires are up to operating temps, it's too high. But leaving them at the correct pressure during those cold temps allows the light to remain on.

#5 ·
I believe that is incorrect (as does tirerack.com):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=73

The pressure should be set when COLD always. I believe the manual (and possibly the door placard) says this as well. This allows it never to drop below the minimum pressure and allows for the increase in pressure that occurs due to heat from driving and normal warming in the afternoon. The tire pressure should be checked periodically to adjust for seasonal differences in cold temperature. The TPMS system works well in cold/hot climates by following the correct guidelines. If your light is coming on when it's cold it is because your tires are underinflated and you should increase the pressure.

#7 ·
I think the point is that you want to ensure that your tires will have adequate pressure at -40*C. Yes, that will mean that they'll be "overfilled" at 0*C. Thus, more checks are necessary. It might mean that you need to air them up on a night that's supposed to be -40*C. The evils of winter (well, for some of you anyway!).

#9 ·
Update on Valve Stem Repair

An update on this --

The Chrysler dealer replaced the valve stem and TPMS sensor under warranty.

Seems to me a terrible design to have the sensor permanently attached to the valve stem, but in the meantime I will be extra careful not to break another valve stem.

Dan

#10 · (Edited)
I've gone through 3 broken off valve stems. One just from unscrewing the plastic cap.
All covered by warranty. Others all happened while changing tires.
When I called the dealer service center for the 1st one the rep sighed and said to someone in the background that he had yet another one coming in.

#31 ·
Well that's it! All valves have been replaced with the regular old style.
had another flat after just touching 1 of the valves to add some air.
When I called my mechanic and told him to order another one for me he called back to say they're all on backorder.
Put a piece of tape over the light.

#11 ·
The same part can be purchased over the counter at most parts stores for around $45.00.

#12 ·
If you're referring to the TPMS itself, just make sure you get the correct OE manufacturer and frequency. There are many different manufacturers and different frequencies. I believe the GC TPMS is made by Siemens, but I can't remember the frequency.

#13 ·
frequency is 433.92 Mhz & OEM is made by Siemens VDO

From the Siemens VDO website:

Siemens VDO

SE54188 TPMS Sensor Component Kit 4
w/Black Valve Cap
VDO
SE57771 Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor 4
433.92 Mhz.; w/Black Valve Cap

This website show what was installed in the Chrysler & Dodge vehicles at the factory:

http://www.chryslertpms.com/

#14 ·
Just had a valve stem break last night while washing the car (including the tires). What a terrible part. I didn't realize that bumping the stem with a brush could cause it sheer off.
I prefer the days when the pressure monitoring "system" was checking your tires manually with a gauge or using your eye.

#15 ·
I didn't realize these were so fragile. I'm not ALL that careful around mine when washing the wheels, but maybe I ought to be. I figure I wash the vehicle, on average, every 2 weeks. We've owned the van for 37 months now...that's 74 baths!

#16 · (Edited)
2008 GC, had a valve stem break off while filling tire with air. Looks like the stem piece is made of Aluminum and corrosion caused it to just snap off. Tire went flat in seconds, just glad I wasn't driving at the time of break off. Didn't take much of contact for stem to break, when pulling back on air chuck the top part just broke off. If anyone ever wondered about how far you could travel on an interstate at 55 mph with the 'donut spare', we got 215 miles out of it and still good. Anyone else seeing this problem? Should I be concerned about the other 3? Dealer to fix this one this week, sounds like it will be around $100 for a new stem, programing, labor... What ever happened to the brass ones?

#17 ·
It is nice to read posts about anything, for example because this post today I know that I can't rotate tires without programming the TPMS, I never think about this before.

How you program the TPMS to tell what tire is located in front, back, right or left?

Some cars don't use a TPMS to detect if a tire is low, you can't view the exact tire pressure but the car warns you when the tire is low. I think this cars uses some very smart calculation between rotation, timing, miles, etc, to detect when the tire is low, you only need to reset the tire warning indicator when you fill your tires.

There is some good information about how the TPMS works in your Town and Country Manual, read page 368 STARTING AND OPERATING. I like to read the manual in my computer that way you can use search, and view pages in a better way. If you don't have it in PDF search in here for one it is very useful and you could read it on your iphone too.

TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SYSTEM (TPMS)
The TPMS will warn the driver of a low tire pressure
based on the cold inflation tire pressure requirements
found on the tire placard located on the driver’s-side
B-pillar.
The tire pressure will vary with temperature by about 1
psi (6.9 kPa) for every 12 F (6.5 C). This means that when
the outside temperature decreases, the tire pressure will
decrease. Tire pressure should always be set based on
cold inflation tire pressure. This is defined as the tire
pressure after a vehicle has not been driven for more than
three hours - and in outside ambient temperature. Refer
to the “Tires – General Information” in this section for
information on how to properly inflate the vehicle’s
tires. The tire pressure will also increase as the vehicle is
driven - this is normal and there should be no adjustment
for this increased pressure.
The TPMS will warn the driver of a low tire pressure if
the tire pressure falls below the low pressure warning
threshold for any reason, including low temperature
effects, or natural air pressure loss through the tire.
The TPMS will continue to warn the driver of low tire
pressure as long as the condition exists, and will not turn
off until the tire pressure is at or above recommended
cold tire placard pressure. Once the low tire pressure
warning has been illuminated, the tire pressure must be
increased to the recommended cold tire placard pressure
in order for the TPMS warning lamp to be turned off. The
system will automatically update and the TPMS warning
lamp will extinguish once the updated tire pressures
have been received. The vehicle may need to be driven
for up to 10 minutes above 15 mph (25 km/h) to receive
this information.

For example, your vehicle may have a recommended
cold (parked for more than three hours) tire pressure of
35 psi (241 kPa). If the ambient temperature is 68 F (20 C)
and the measured tire pressure is 30 psi (207 kPa), a
temperature drop to 20 F (-7 C) will decrease the tire
pressure to approximately 26 psi (179 kPa). This tire
pressure is sufficiently low enough to turn ON the TPMS
Warning Light. Driving the vehicle may cause the tire
pressure to rise to approximately 30 psi (207 kPa), but the
TPMS Warning Light will still be ON. In this situation,
the TPMS Warning Light will turn OFF only after the tires
have been inflated to the vehicle’s recommended cold tire
pressure value.
CAUTION!
The TPMS has been optimized for the original
equipment tires and wheels. TPMS pressures have
been established for the tire size equipped on your
vehicle. Undesirable system operation or sensor
damage may result when using replacement equip-
ment that is not of the same size, type, and/or style.
Aftermarket wheels can cause sensor damage. Do not
use aftermarket sealants or balance beads if your
vehicle is equipped with a TPMS, as damage to the
sensors may result.

#18 ·
Well, after re-reading my last post I guess I wasn't asking the right question. Has anybody come across a course of action (after market) that is better than going to a dealer? I got mine fixed at dealer for $93. Will a standard valve stem assy fit the hole on the rim? Yes, I know the light will be on, but I was stranded on a Sunday morning 200 miles away from home. While at the dealer...recall work was done for the lower AC line and the wire harness reroute for the sliding doors.

#19 ·
A normal valve stem will fit. The TPMS sensors are on backorder at the moment. I currently have 2 customer's waiting on new TPMS sensors due to driving on a flat tire (which will kill a TPMS sensor in a heartbeat) and they both have a normal valve stem. The low tire light will flash, then stay on however.

#20 ·
I just recenly saw that chrysler has gone to the new style sensor that has more of a conventional rubber stem. I need to find out if the frequency is the same as my 08 as I am in the same boat with a broken stem. The least they could do is sell the stem seperate since you can remove it from the sensor.

#21 ·
I did some research and it does appear that the 2010 model years have a different TPMS sensors with a perhaps more durable rubber valve stem as mentioned by Timmy.

Now the question is - are the new sensors a direct swap with the old style sensors, or does the rim also need to be changed? Maybe some of the Chrysler parts guys here could query the parts system and provide an answer! I can provide part number if necessary.

The new style sensor is on the left, the old style sensor is on the right.

Attachments

#22 ·
Just FYI, my 2010 T&C has the 'metal' stem sensors, not the rubber stem sensors.

I have no idea if they can be interchanged, but I hope they can be. I really want the rubber stem sensors.

#24 ·
I believe this was a mid model year change - but I could be wrong. I'm almost certain the 2010 Chargers and Rams have this newer design. ALL 2011 models in the Chrysler lineup do for sure.

I just hope they are interchangeable so I can swap them all out when one fails (I have two sets of OEM rims - 8 TPMS sensors:Wow1:)

#25 ·
Just got two new front tires on my 2008 van. Now the TPMS light stays on. Why?

I'm assuming the sensors were not damaged in the tire change and they shouldn't need reprogramming. I didn't pay attention to which wheel went to the left or right. As the sensors are wireless, it shouldn't matter should it? I can understand why the sensors are programmed front left, front right, left rear, right rear, to keep them separated and unique, but after programming, the wheels can be moved around?

#26 ·
Assuming the tire sensors were not damaged, I'd make sure there is enough air in the tires. I've had several customer's come in with the light on and say 'my gauge at home says 36 PSI', only to find with the digital gauge we use at work the tires really have about 30 PSI. A pencil gauge won't be accurate from what I've seen. If your gauge says 36, fill them up to where your gauge says 40. See if the light goes out then.

Now...

If the light flashes, then goes to staying on solid, at least one tire sensor was damaged. If that is the case, get it back to where the tires were mount and complain.

#28 ·
That was it. The invoice said the tires were inflated to 35psi. I have an old Honda gauge that came with a motorcycle to measure air shocks and that said the tires were at 30psi. Pumped them up to 36psi amd the idiot light went out. I find it odd that the tires were not inflated to what it said on the invoice, but whatever, problem solved, thanks.

I've had several customer's come in with the light on and say 'my gauge at home says 36 PSI', only to find with the digital gauge we use at work the tires really have about 30 PSI. A pencil gauge won't be accurate from what I've seen. If your gauge says 36, fill them up to where your gauge says 40. See if the light goes out then.

#30 · (Edited)
Oops, see the next post

Well that's it! All valves have been replaced with the regular old style.
had another flat after just touching 1 of the valves to add some air.
When I called my mechanic and told him to order another one for me he called back to say they're all on backorder.
Put a piece of tape over the light.

#33 ·
Ok. If your asking if you can replace your sensors with rubber stem sensors from another vehicle, the answer is probably not. If your asking if you can buy aftermarket sensors, for your vehicle, with rubber stems, the answer is yes. If your asking if the new OEM sensors for your van will have rubber stems, the answer is hopefully.

#35 ·
I have known this to occur on two vehicles now. I guess the bankruptcy really affected chrysler components. I am leary of buying a new Caravan, let alone a Chrysler product! Although I am surprised they were replaced under warranty too. That is a bonus. :thumb:

#36 ·
How and why would it be a warranty issue? Your putting a part that was not on your van from the factory, on your van. That is the same as thinking they would remove the stock air box and put a cold air intake on for free...

#37 ·
I wished they would put a cold air intake on for free! lol

#38 · (Edited)
The TPS monitors are from an outside vendor. This really is not an indication of Chrysler's quality.
My guess is that Chrysler isn't the only one using them. Hopefully the newer style remedies the issue.
I would say that if someone is replacing them with the tires at 40,000 mi, then it is not a warranty issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.