Broken tire valve stem - $100+ repair to replace TPMS sensor or warranty?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken tire valve stem - $100+ repair to replace TPMS sensor or warranty?

Thanks

Broken tire valve stem - $100+ repair to replace TPMS sensor or warranty?

I went to fill up my tires (Yokohamas on an 09 T&C) the other day, and one valve stem broke when I put the air hose on it.

The tire still needed air, so I went to the local Firestone, and they replaced the valve stem for $15, and gave me the original valve stem which includes the TPMS sensor. They said this is about a $100 item from Chrysler, and that the dealer may replace it under warranty.

I will give a call to the dealer next week and see if they can replace it, but has anyone had this experience? Is this covered under warranty?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

It depends on why it failed. If the tire had been rubbed, or if the tire was driven flat, that can cause the TPMS to fail. That probably will not be covered under warranty. However if it just happened, it may be. I'm not sure if Firestone breaking the tire open will matter or not. It would have been best to have taken it to the dealer and let them deal with your tire issue, that way they have no questions about improper disassembly...
    Jeff
    http://www.facebook.com/eddie.munster
    Current:
    2007 Grand Caravan/3.8L V6/103K mi/original 41TE
    2006 300C/5.7L HEMI V8/128/K mi/original W5A580
    2002 PT Cruiser/2.4L I4/139K mi/original 40TE
    1992 S-10/4.3L V6/249K mi/original 4L60E
    Previous minivans:
    1997 Grand Voyager SE/traded@192K mi/3.3L V6/original 41TE
    2003 Grand Caravan Sport/3.8L V6/traded@124K mi/original 41TE
    2007 T&C/3.8L V6/traded@44K mi/ original 41TE
    2010 T&C Touring/3.8L V6/the ex's@72K mi/original 62TE

Thanks

Not sure why the dealer would question Firestone opening the tire. If the stem broke & I needed to drive the van any distance I would have new stem installed ASAP, TPMS or no. Without clear evidence of abuse, Chrysler should replace under warranty. Honest attempt to air up tire is not abuse.

BTW-I hate this TPMS BS, which they admit will miss up to half of serious low-tire pressure events anyway. MUCH more important, functional, and effective safety stuff US could mandate on vehicles for less cost (like daytime running lights).

Thanks

The problem with TPMS is that "most" people just don't get it. Especially in colder climates. When the temperatures drop (as the often do for me) to -35C or lower, the idiot light is ON, ALOT. If I adjust the pressure in the tires to compensate for that drop, once the tires are up to operating temps, it's too high. But leaving them at the correct pressure during those cold temps allows the light to remain on.
    '08 Town and Country LTD 4.0L
    Built Sept. 2007, took delivery Dec. 2007
    48,500 kms on the odo
    Brilliant Black w/ grey leather and suede inserts
    MyGig, NAV, VES, Trailer tow, Power 3rd Row
    Sunroof and Swivel n' Go

Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    The problem with TPMS is that "most" people just don't get it. Especially in colder climates. When the temperatures drop (as the often do for me) to -35C or lower, the idiot light is ON, ALOT. If I adjust the pressure in the tires to compensate for that drop, once the tires are up to operating temps, it's too high. But leaving them at the correct pressure during those cold temps allows the light to remain on.
    I believe that is incorrect (as does tirerack.com):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=73

The pressure should be set when COLD always. I believe the manual (and possibly the door placard) says this as well. This allows it never to drop below the minimum pressure and allows for the increase in pressure that occurs due to heat from driving and normal warming in the afternoon. The tire pressure should be checked periodically to adjust for seasonal differences in cold temperature. The TPMS system works well in cold/hot climates by following the correct guidelines. If your light is coming on when it's cold it is because your tires are underinflated and you should increase the pressure.
    2011 T & C Limited - White Gold/ - Dark Frost Beige/Medium Frost Beige
    Every option except Towing Package
    > 7,000 miles (had 1 on the odometer at delivery)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redwein View Post
    I believe that is incorrect (as does tirerack.com):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=73

The pressure should be set when COLD always. I believe the manual (and possibly the door placard) says this as well. This allows it never to drop below the minimum pressure and allows for the increase in pressure that occurs due to heat from driving and normal warming in the afternoon. The tire pressure should be checked periodically to adjust for seasonal differences in cold temperature. The TPMS system works well in cold/hot climates by following the correct guidelines. If your light is coming on when it's cold it is because your tires are underinflated and you should increase the pressure.
    Not trying to start anything here, but if my tires are inflated to cold psi as per door placard (which I do) and when temps hit -35 or -40C, the pressure will drop even further causing your TPMS to indicate low pressure.

I never said that YOU SHOULD adjust the pressure when the tires are hot. I said if you did, then the pressure would be too HIGH. According to that website, it clearly indicates that you should compensate for extreme temps...which is more or less what I was getting at
    '08 Town and Country LTD 4.0L
    Built Sept. 2007, took delivery Dec. 2007
    48,500 kms on the odo
    Brilliant Black w/ grey leather and suede inserts
    MyGig, NAV, VES, Trailer tow, Power 3rd Row
    Sunroof and Swivel n' Go

Thanks

I think the point is that you want to ensure that your tires will have adequate pressure at -40*C. Yes, that will mean that they'll be "overfilled" at 0*C. Thus, more checks are necessary. It might mean that you need to air them up on a night that's supposed to be -40*C. The evils of winter (well, for some of you anyway!).
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Not trying to start anything here, but if my tires are inflated to cold psi as per door placard (which I do) and when temps hit -35 or -40C, the pressure will drop even further causing your TPMS to indicate low pressure.

I never said that YOU SHOULD adjust the pressure when the tires are hot. I said if you did, then the pressure would be too HIGH. According to that website, it clearly indicates that you should compensate for extreme temps...which is more or less what I was getting at
    I'd say it makes sense to adjust them in the winter for as cold as you will really go. Then, the light will never come on and there is enough room between the recommended pressure and the maximum pressure that you will be safe.

It is much safer to have a few extra pounds of pressure while remaining within the tire manufacturers specs than it is to go under the minimum at any time. That's the point I was making and following it will keep the light on or it will only come on when you really should add air. Sorry if I sounded argumentative. I was just making the point so that others wouldn't ignore the light coming on as being something wrong with the system rather than their tires actually being underinflated.
    2011 T & C Limited - White Gold/ - Dark Frost Beige/Medium Frost Beige
    Every option except Towing Package
    > 7,000 miles (had 1 on the odometer at delivery)

Thanks

Update on Valve Stem Repair

An update on this --

The Chrysler dealer replaced the valve stem and TPMS sensor under warranty.

Seems to me a terrible design to have the sensor permanently attached to the valve stem, but in the meantime I will be extra careful not to break another valve stem.

Dan

Thanks

I've gone through 3 broken off valve stems. One just from unscrewing the plastic cap.
    All covered by warranty. Others all happened while changing tires.
    When I called the dealer service center for the 1st one the rep sighed and said to someone in the background that he had yet another one coming in.
    Last edited by Bri in Mtl; 04-22-2010 at 09:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply