The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2002 Wiring Diagram

20K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeepman 
#1 ·
The radios, wipers, climate control module intermittently turn off in my 2002 T&C 3.8L. After cleaning the battery terminals, the problem went away for a period of time. Upon returning, I removed the battery tray and noticed the wiring harness underneath had a wire exposed due to rubbing against the tray. The Haynes Manual does not have specific wiring diagrams. Does anyone know what the Blue with Yellow stripe wire controls? Or where I could locate the diagram?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Sources for wiring diagrams/other valuable information:

Library Information - General:
Your local Library subscribes to various data bases of information, some of those may be related to automobiles. Typically, using your Library card # and a Library password, you can access this information at home. It may be worthwhile checking with your local Library to see what they have available and how to access it from your home computer. For example, a local library nearest to me has access to the Chilton Library with data for maintenance, repair, and bulletins/recalls. I accessd it recently for info related to topics on this Forum. I recommend Chilton for its format, video clips and numerous pictures.

Library Information - ARRC:
Public access to this has been changed. If your library has access to EBSCOhost Databases, then go to the Auto Repair Reference Center (ARRC), and submit your vehicle model year and take it from there. Try this site. If they ask for a number use 23456789 and if they provide a drop down list of libraries, use the one with Hamilton in it. Should work, but maybe not on weekends.
Note: If info isn't there for your year / model, try another year or similar model.

I just looked at the wiring dagram for the 2002 GC 3.8L on the ARRC site. There were no wiring diagrams given for the 2002 T&C.
There is a Dark Blue/Yellow Tracer for the A/C Compressor Clutch Relay in the Integrated Power Module (fuse/relay black box - the Integrated Power Module (IPM), located in the engine compartment of your 2002 Chrysler/Dodge Minivan, houses the fuses and relays that help regulate your vehicle's electrical system) to the A/C Compressor Clutch.
Was yours light or dark blue?

#3 ·
A wiring schematic shows a dark blue / yellow wiring going to the “Auto Shut Down Relay” in the PCM. What exactly does the “Auto Shut Down Relay” do? I don’t see how this would affect wipers, radio and climate control module.

#5 · (Edited)
Auto shutdown relay function: http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/sensors/auto-shutdown.html

There are various blue wires with yellow tracers. Any near the battery could easily be coming from the integrated power module box which is near the battery.

Sometimes circuits feed off of other circuits, so you would have to check to see if that might be happening in your case. For example, on my Jeep, the dash lights are on a circuit with a 10 amp fuse which comes off the park light circuit which is fused at 20 amps. So if my park light circuit fuse blows, out go my dash lights even though their 10 amp fuse doesn't blow.

#4 ·
Jeepman - I also looked at teh ARRC library and no diagrams were available. In a Haynes Manual, I found a schematic for a "typical engine control system" which shows dark blue / yellow and it goes to "auto shut down relay". The schematic shows a dark blue / black for the A/C Compressor Clutch. Am I mis-reading the schematic?

#6 ·
Take a look at the 2002 3.8L Grand Caravan wiring schematics. They would be the same. I was just looking at them on th ARRC site.

#7 ·
Jeepman - Thanks for the reference to the Grand Caravan schematics. It makes sense why the intermittent outage occurred when the climate control was on. Assuming the wipers, radio and climate control are tied together, fixing the exposed wire cured the problem....time will tell. Is it possible from the schematics to determine if these components are tied together?

#9 ·
With a quick look, the only thing I see common is the "Accessories Relay", so maybe something was happening through that when the blue/yellow wire was acting up. Might want to check other wires in the area of the blue/yellow one though in case there are corrision / arc paths there.

Hope the fix works for the long term. Sounds good. :thumb:

#8 ·
Try this thread, it seem to be a common problem. If you follow the links lots of info. Mine did it one day. After reading the link, I pulled my starter solenoid and everything worked again. Turned the power module upside down to look at the wires and it has never acted up again. 2 or 3 month now, I don't trust the thing now, I know it will act up at a bad time.
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=14569

#11 ·
That's super. :thumb: Thanks for sharing and letting us know the fix is working.

Interesting how one thing can affect another the way vehicles are wired up these days. Nothing is simple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.