The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Power Liftgate sticks in open position

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mrfixit454 
#1 ·
On our 2005 Grand Carvan, the rear power liftgate will always Open fine. However, closing is a bit of an issue. This is what my wife is telling me happens:

Once the liftgate is open, you can not manually pull it shut. It's like it is locked open. To shut it, she has to press the key fob (or overhead console button) to iniate automatic closing. The first time she does this, there is the usual whirring noises and warning beeps for a few seconds and then nothing...and the gate does not move. Then, she pushes the button a second time and the closing cycle runs without any issues. Note, after the first attempt, it is then possible to manually pull the gate down too.

It's almost like the first attempt to close "unlocks" something. Where should I look? I'm guessing a limit switch maybe??? My fear is it gets stuck in the open position...what would I do then? Thanks!

#2 ·
This happened to our Van once when it was much colder outside than usual.. I am talking usually in the 70's and it was in the low 50's. It has only happened once in the year and and half we have owned it. It did exactly what your wife reports. It has been colder here in the evenings again is Southern CA but we have not experienced it. I did spray a little light oil up in the motor area when this happened but I am not sure if it did anything or not.

Sorry this is not much help. Have you searched here for others with the same problem? I seem to remember other have talked about it. It may be the motor or clutch going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.