The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2002 Town and Country Front Blower Issue

25K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  DIY Fan 
#1 ·
Looking for information on front blower control issue on our 2002 Town and Country Minivan.

When heater/AC power is ON, the front blower remains on HIGH and control cannot be changed. The blower location and temperature can be changed.

When heater/AC power is OFF, front blower remains on HIGH and automatically changes to vent location.

The issue is narrowed to the front blower control. I had pulled and replaced the front blower fuse which did not resolve.

Please help. Thanks!!!

#2 ·
Do you have a Digital Climate control or a Manual Climate control?.. If you dig alittle into the forum, you can find a way to recalibrate the Climate control. I think there is a feature for the recalibration for manaul climate controls only.. But Check the forum out and see if that works..

it sounds like you have a digital climate control, ive heard of this symptom before and It sounds like a replacement of the Automatic climate control..I could be wrong, My uncles 2005 dodge dakota's fan stopped working, and it turned out to be that resister or relay that is near the Interior fan. If you get a fix on it let me know. My moms friend has the digital cluster and it would be good information to know if it breaks

#4 ·
Before I started, I removed the front blower fuse. This is simply located in the fuse box under the hood on the drivers side.

Once fuse removed, I found the blower resistor directly behind the glovebox. Basically, two wire harness connectors and two 5/16" screws. I was happy that the part was easily accessable. Removal was not complicated.

I was successful in finding the solution to the constant HIGH speed of the front blower by replacing mfg part with the BWD - Hvac Blower Motor Resistor (Part Number: RU1093) from O'Reilly Auto Parts today. The BWD part is a little different than mfg part in a couple of ways with "fin-type" style metal plates and one of the prong connector has 3 vs 4 contacts. Once installed, the issue has been resolved with the exception of the digital "Auto HI/LOW" does not work. This may be the reason for having 4 contacts on the original mfg part. We simply will not miss the Auto HI/LOW for now. Here is a link to the BWD part used from O'Reillys:

O'Reillys did not have part in the inventory which the had to order. They asked for no upfront payment to secure order. Part was ordered and received the same day!! Cost $71.99 plus sales tax. Also, the BWD part comes with a limited lifetime warranty which O'Reillys completes paperwork in store for you in a matter of minutes.

I also tried to the blower resistor part at AutoZone. AutoZone wanted about $100 for the part, payment upfront prior to ordering, and ordered shipment delivery approx. 3-4 days. Needless to say this was a NO deal in December, Michigan temperatures.

Hope this helps and good luck.

#5 ·
Blower resistor

We have an 02 with auto temp control, I had the same problem with mine, put up with it for a while but decided to repair it last week, yes Autozone wanted $100.00 for the aftermarket, called the dealer and they wanted $80.00. I had my son pick it up on the way home.(He works at a group dealer-GM) My cost was $48.00 5 min install and good as new. Thanks for all the advice..

#6 ·
I too have a 2002 with the Auto temp control. The blower was stuck on high and the only thing that shut it off was the key.
I followed the description from newbie's post; ( Before I started, I removed the front blower fuse. This is simply located in the fuse box under the hood on the drivers side.
Once fuse removed, I found the blower resistor directly behind the glovebox. Basically, two wire harness connectors and two 5/16" screws. I was happy that the part was easily accessible. Removal was not complicated.
)
I found the Blower Resistor exactly where he said it would be, right behind the glove box (just open the door and swing it completely open towards the floor). I checked for the part at my local dealer and it was $81 plus tax.
The most important part, it FIXED the problem! Thanks for the help.

#7 ·
I believe you got the wrong part from O'Reilly
I cannot access the BWD ecatalog on my Mac but the numbers should be

RU1055 w/auto temp front
RU1093 w/o auto temp control (manual) front
RU1183 rear aux

http://www.bwdbrand.com/Online Catalogs-eCatalog/Content.aspx

BWD shows you the specs and pictures in their catalog

For future reference,
BWD is the same as Standard Motor, except the part numbers are different. (BWD is the old Borg Warner Division which was bought by Standard Motor Products)
You will find Standard Motor Products in Napa and Carquest, BWD in the other auto parts stores.
Same parts, different names and part numbers.

http://www.smpcorp.com/ROOT-Home/Content.aspx

#8 ·
I was able to get on the BWD catalog and it shows the following for 2002

RU1055 w/o auto. temp; front
RU1093 w/auto temp control (manual); front
RU1183 rear aux

---------------------------------
Interestingly Airtex makes a distinction for 2001-2005 & 2005-2007 resistors for vans with the auto temp control
If you put in 2005, you get both listed

pre 2005:
Airtex 4P1490 w/auto temp controls - w/fin heat sink
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 4885482AA, 4885482AB, 4885482AC, JA1623

post 2005:
Airtex 4P1617 w/auto temp controls - w/rod type heat sinks
5179985AA, JA1739

http://www.showmetheparts.com/airtex/

#9 ·
Looking for information on front blower control issue on our 2002 Town and Country Minivan.

When heater/AC power is ON, the front blower remains on HIGH and control cannot be changed. The blower location and temperature can be changed.

When heater/AC power is OFF, front blower remains on HIGH and automatically changes to vent location.

The issue is narrowed to the front blower control. I had pulled and replaced the front blower fuse which did not resolve.

Please help. Thanks!!!
Can someone help me with understanding how can I fix the front blower has stopped working.

#10 ·
If the blower works at some speeds its probably the resistor. If the blower is completely dead its probably the motor. There are YT videos for both. I have replaced both and the resistor is easy but replacing the motor takes patience. Some of the bolts are a pain to access. Dont touch the resistor when the engine is running you will burn your fingers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.