The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Honda Better!?

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Kscha41 
#1 ·
Just bought some furniture through someone on craigslist. Picked it up using my 2009 T&C. The guy asked me how I liked my car. Good I said. How's your Honda Minivan? Good he said, but had to replace the trans at 76,000 miles. I have spoken to 3 Honda owners and all 3 had their transmissions replaced before 100,000 miles. Is there any data comparing these cars?

#2 ·
What year was his? 2000-2005(?) Hondas and Acuras had transmission problems for a while and some still have ongoing problems despite fixes. The new transmissions are problem free from my understanding.

#3 ·
No direct data that I know of but Hondas and Toyotas are NOT what they used to be.

They both are starting to have their own large share of trans issues in recent years. I have been in a few newer Toyotas and for some reason, their trans shifting patters feel mistimed and very clunky. I have no experience with newer Hondas, but I hear quite a bit about transmission failures in them. Any large vehicle with FWD will have higher possibility of trans failure since they have to make the transmission take the abuse while making it in a smaller package.

#4 ·
I had a 2000 Mazda MPV and rebuilt the tranny at 92000 km. Although it was within the limit of the warranty mileage wise, it was far out of it years wise, and one thing I learned the hard way is Mazda is notorious for poor customer service.

#5 ·
Honda Odyssey transmision problems .... no way .... just ask Consumer Reports. :lol:

Then again, what Manufacturer hasn't had their share of electronic transmission problems. Honda is good at "damage control" though.

Some Honda Odyssey User Rating info from MSN Autos:
2002:
8.3 Overall Rating

8.4 Styling
8.7 Performance
8.2 Interior
8.1 Quality
8.1 Recommendation

2003:
8.5 Overall Rating

8.9 Styling
8.9 Performance
8.6 Interior
8.3 Quality
8.3 Recommendation

2004:
8.6 Overall Rating

8.6 Styling
9.0 Performance
8.4 Interior
8.7 Quality
8.5 Recommendation

2005:
9.2 Overall Rating

9.3 Styling
9.4 Performance
9.2 Interior
8.9 Quality
9.1 Recommendation

2006:
9.1 Overall Rating

9.2 Styling
9.2 Performance
8.9 Interior
9.0 Quality
9.1 Recommendation

2007:
8.5 Overall Rating

8.9 Styling
8.5 Performance
8.9 Interior
8.3 Quality
8.2 Recommendation

2008:
8.9 Overall Rating

9.0 Styling
8.6 Performance
8.9 Interior
8.7 Quality
9.0 Recommendation

#7 ·
Odyssey transmission bad

Some years transmission very bad. 1999-2002 Consumer Reports black spot which is worst rating, or half black spot on problem chart. 2003 still bad. Bad bearings and clutches mostly. Similar to Acura TC, CL which are even worse. 2002-4 recalled once but to fix a different rare problem with 2nd gear not getting oiled. Recall fix does not solve main problems. 2005-2006 better. Changed transmission design in 2007.
2007-9 have different problem. Torque converter shudder and or broken engine mounts cause shaking that can get very bad. Problem not usually seen when new. Have to replace torque converter and sometimes engine mounts to solve. Would not go with Honda for reliability only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.