New rocker panel rust location?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New rocker panel rust location?

Thanks

New rocker panel rust location?

I was putting the snow tires on the van yesterday and was down to the last one (front passenger side) when I heard the tell tale sounds of metal crumbling to pieces. Lowered the van back down and right dead center between the jacking points, the rocker panel crushed in and broke apart to reveal a consistent long term rust point. You could see the progression of the rust down to the paint layer. Anyone ever get rust here. I checked the drivers side which is a known rust through location toward the rear, but it is still pretty solid. I am a little pi$$ed to say the least, but 160,000 km on the odometer and almost 9 years old, whats to say it will get worse or am I just going to start dumpng good money after bad?

KC.
    2012 VW Routan Highline w/ 3.6 L, 27,000 km.

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan ES w/3.3, 250,000 KM and still going somewhere as it has been sold!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 908 Posts

My guess - you park your vehicle with the front lower than the back.
    One solution would be to clean up the rusted area, fibreglass it (two coats min.), smooth it out using body fill and sanding, then paint it, plus drill 3/8" or 1/2" holes in your rocker panel and saturate with rustproofing that penetrates, creeps, displaces moisture, stops rust, protects from further rust, and stays "liquid" (does not dry out for atleast a year nor does it form a hard shell which traps moisture).

Spray cans of Rust Check, Corrosion Free, Fluid Film, are readily available in Canada. If you have a compressor, an undercoating gun from Princess Auto is not expensive. I'm experimenting with one now - sprayed my wheelbarrow with a 50/50 mixture of WD-40 and Tech 2000 Synthetic motor oil on Friday. The gun worked well at about 60 psi.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 115,600 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 314,240 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 246,430 kms

Thanks

I know mine is a 3rd gen and yours is not, but on mine the entire rockers on both sides have issues with most of the metal being crumbly and rusted. Age combined with salt is the worst thing for a vehicle.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

Yep, I hear you. Once the rust takes a hold in an area such as this, only a full metal replacement can get rid of it for now.

KC.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    I know mine is a 3rd gen and yours is not, but on mine the entire rockers on both sides have issues with most of the metal being crumbly and rusted. Age combined with salt is the worst thing for a vehicle.
    2012 VW Routan Highline w/ 3.6 L, 27,000 km.

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan ES w/3.3, 250,000 KM and still going somewhere as it has been sold!

Thanks

Hey Jeepman,

I bought myself a spray gun ($89 Cad) made for oil rust proofing, but haven't bought the compressor yet. Can you tell me how many CFM and HP your compressor has. I've been shopping around, but am not sure how big of a compressor I will need to have the gun work adequately.

My driver side rocker rusted out near the rear wheel this summer. (130,00km 8yrs old). My wife parks the van outside and the slope of the driveway would leave me to think that any moisture probably ran along the rocker and accumulated near the portion closest to the rear wheels. Passeneger side looks ok for now.
    2001 Caravan SE 3.3L 135,000KM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gino45 View Post
    Hey Jeepman,

I bought myself a spray gun ($89 Cad) made for oil rust proofing, but haven't bought the compressor yet. Can you tell me how many CFM and HP your compressor has. I've been shopping around, but am not sure how big of a compressor I will need to have the gun work adequately.

My driver side rocker rusted out near the rear wheel this summer. (130,00km 8yrs old). My wife parks the van outside and the slope of the driveway would leave me to think that any moisture probably ran along the rocker and accumulated near the portion closest to the rear wheels. Passeneger side looks ok for now.
    The gun operating pressure is 60-100 psi. I was testing it with an inexpensive 2 gal compressor and was surprised it did as well as it did at 60 psi. Still messing around with it but feel I can spray the underside of the vehicle with that setup and the wheel well dog leg areas through the jack compartment and the tail light opening.

I will be am experimenting with adding an extension using a clamped on rubber hose (flexible splice for bending) connection, and will be trying that with a smaller pipe (wand) to spray other areas (inside doors, rocker panels, etc.). Worked so so with a larger pipe, so small pipe should be okay. We'll see.

Thanks

Jeepman, I'd be leery of using fiberglass on the jack point.

It would have to be pretty thick to support the weight of the car if you got a flat wouldn't it?

Our van was in an accident when my Father-In-Law owned it...the repaired area had some surface rust on the rocker panel on the inside that I applied POR-15 to (POR = Paint Over Rust) http://www.por15.com/
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    Northern NJ
    2002 Grand Caravan ES "Extra Special"...
    Blue
    3.8L, Touring Suspension, 17" Alloys, and Autostick

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    Jeepman, I'd be leery of using fiberglass on the jack point.

It would have to be pretty thick to support the weight of the car if you got a flat wouldn't it?

Our van was in an accident when my Father-In-Law owned it...the repaired area had some surface rust on the rocker panel on the inside that I applied POR-15 to (POR = Paint Over Rust) http://www.por15.com/
    There should be another piece of metal immediately above the rocker panel at the jack point vicinity. If that metal is corroded badly, it will have to be reinforced or the jack point abandoned in favour of the frame outrigers. Whatever is done on the underside of the rocker panel (metal, pop rivets, fiberglass), isn't noticeable normally, so doesn't have to be a perfect job.

+ Reply to Thread