The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

disable overdrive

15K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  andyg 
#1 ·
hello,

the Chrysler town & country 94/95 with the 41TE transaxle are provided with a button "OD on / off" on the dashboard. When this button is activated, it automatically disables the OverDrive box that uses while 3 reports.
I am looking for a wiring diagram, or if a person has this button to disable the overdrive look how it is connected by button.
I was told that he had sent 12 volts to pin 49 of TCM

thank you very much

meca57

#2 ·
If you don't have the button, you can just put the shifter in "3". I can do this on my van and almost every other car and it keeps the trans out of overdrive and enables locking of the converter in 3rd gear.

#3 ·
thank you

The difference between the activation button Overdrive and put the lever in position 3 or D transaxle instead of OD is simply with the lever to D, the 3rd speed only goes from 3200 laps (70km / h)! So in town we usually stays in 2nd position with D.
With the lever in OD and OverDrive button on, the 3rd goes normally at low speeds (Etalle reports OD)

#5 ·
I don't fully understand this.. When I put my van in the "3" non overdrive position, it keeps it out of overdrive and allows locking of the torque converter at 30mph. All other shifts occur at the normal engine speeds. Are you saying that when your van is in the "3" position, the engine has to rev much higher before it shifts?

#4 ·
#6 ·
OverDrive mode - 4 speed (lever position on OD), there is also more flexibility in gear shifting, the spread of reports is done on a smaller range. It is found already in 3rd at the speed of 35km/h (24mph) in contrast to 75Km/h (47mph) in D and 4th at 80km/h (50mph). Therefore, during short trips in town or in traffic, the gearbox is highly stressed with many passages in 2-3-4 and 4-3 ... with a sharp rise in temperature of the transaxles. (It is better to use the D report (if your lever indicates PRN"OD"LD) or 3 (if your lever indicate PRND3L) This speed programmed to reduce the number of crossings and improve the engine braking)

#7 ·
At least through '95 models the "3" position is for towing and engine braking. Upshifts won't happen under 3000 rpm. The OD lockout on '94-'95 allows upshifts from 1 through 3 at normal speed.

#8 ·
That is an interesting TCM program. On the later models, the 3 position allows shifting as normal but just has no 4th gear. It also locks the converter at ~30mph. The older programming sounds more like a dedicated towing program.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.