The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Town and Country 2002 needs some help!

6K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  wookie0586 
#1 ·
OK so we're having some folks take a look at our water and oil leaks. Initial call / opinion states we're looking at an oil pan, water pump, and head gasket replacement. Ouch. Looking at the forums it would seem that the pan and pump are fairly straightforward assuming you have tools, beer, and expletives handy. But how about this head gasket? Is this a bear, or can a couple guys accomplish this? What would the experts here rate this on both a time and complexity basis?

Thanks gents, and a happy thanksgiving to anyone who reads this!

Chris :beerchug:

#2 ·
I would say the head gaskets would be doable if you have done this type of job before. Check before you start as to whether you need to replace the head bolts. You may need to have the heads surfaced, aluminum heads can warp if they have been overheated. They will also develop an indent from the metal surronding the combustion chamber. Be sure you have accurate information, some libraries have copies of shop manuals you can make copies from. Good luck with it!

#3 ·
I'd also get a second opinion on the head gaskets. Are they leaking externally or internally? If internal, ask how the diagnosis was made. Pressure test? Oil analysis? Etc.

#5 ·
Not to many of these vans go through head gaskets so I question how it came about that they are bad?

Was/is there a reason for head gaskets being bad. It is a fairly involved project but easier than some since you have no distributer to deal with. Pretty much unbolt and re-bolt to spec and check on the head bolts as they in some cases do have to be replaced.

Always change the oil on such a job before starting the engine as well since antifreeze will have made its way into the pan.

Wire brush all bolts so they properly torque back down. Any holes that have threads cruded up need to be chased with a tap.

#6 ·
As to reusing headbolts, do these vans have stretch bolts? I understood you cannot reuse such bolts, but I don't know if these are or aren't.

Like struggle, I would question why it needs head gaskets. Are you sure they did not mean valve cover gaskets, this is a very common cause of oil leaks to the outside. If you have water in your oil (will look like chocolate frappe, in minor cases could be white foamy stuff at the top of oil stick, or oil in your water (and make sure it is not red transmission fluid if yours has a radiator tranny cooler), then you might need a head gasket, but I would look into these other possibilities first and eliminate the valve cover gaskets at the problem. If the oil is coming from higher than the pan, that is probably what it is and it is easy, comparatively, to fix. And cheap. Try to check the tightness of the front bolts on the valve covers and see if they are loose. If they are, the back ones probably are too.

#7 ·
If it's just oil leaks your trying to fix, change the valve cover gaskets first, clean it up and re-check for leaks. Start at the top and work your way down. (I would replace the PCV valve also)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.