EGR Solenoid Problem

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EGR Solenoid Problem

Thanks

EGR Solenoid Problem

Well I was recently cleaning my EGR due to a check engine light. But the EGR looks to be working fine even before cleaning the spring and everything worked just fine. So once i was done cleaning the EGR i reinstalled everything and cleared the codes drove the car about 500 feet and the check engine light came back on i just checked the codes and i got the same one's as last time P0403 and P0401. Then i checked the EGR solenoid for power coming from the wiring. And my multi-meter didn't pick up any voltage. I tried this with the car on and off. Any suggestions. I have to get the car inspected by the end of this month and it won't pass with the check engine light on. Thanks in advance.

P.S.- It's a 96' Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L with 215,000 ; first engine, 3rd tranny.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 1,019 Posts

I have membership in a couple of Library Systems. They both subscribe to Chilton. Chilton is great - pictures, video clips, pictures, bulletins and recalls, maintenance schedules - a great resource. It's available to me on line using my Library web site and my Library Card # to access Chilton (any year, make, model). Very simple and free to boot.

My experience with the vacuum operated EGR system on a 1995 3.3L was that the EGR valve itself would last forever but the solenoid/transducer portion was the point of failure plus a steel nipple rusted off the EGR valve (bonded it back on and all was well).

Here's what Chilton says about the EGR Valve operation on your 1996:
    The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system reduces oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) in the engine exhaust and helps prevent detonation (engine knock). Under normal operating conditions, engine cylinder temperature can reach over 3000°F (1649°C). The formation of NOx increases proportionally with combustion temperature. To reduce the emission of these oxides, cylinder temperature must be lowered. The system allows a predetermined amount of hot exhaust gas to recirculate and dilute the incoming air/fuel mixture. The diluted mixture lowers temperatures during combustion. The EGR system consists of the following components:

■EGR tube

■EGR valve

■Electric EGR Transducer (EET)

■Connecting hoses

The electric EGR transducer contains an electrically operated solenoid and a backpressure transducer. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) operates the solenoid, determining when to energize the solenoid. Exhaust system backpressure controls the transducer.

When the PCM energizes the solenoid, vacuum doesn't reach the transducer. Vacuum flows to the transducer when the PCM de-energizes the solenoid. When exhaust system backpressure becomes high enough, it fully closes a bleed valve in the transducer. When the PCM de-energizes the solenoid and backpressure closes the transducer bleed valve, vacuum flows through the transducer to operate the EGR valve.

De-engergizing the solenoid, but not fully closing the transducer bleed hole (because of low backpressure), varies the strength of vacuum applied to the EGR valve. Varying the strength of the vacuum changes the amount of EGR supplied to the engine. This provides the correct amount of exhaust gas recirculation for different operating conditions. This system does not allow EGR at idle.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 112,920 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 311,200 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 251,430 kms

Thanks

Thanks jeepman. I will be replacing the EGR value and the EGR solenoid today. Will let everyone know if it works or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hypervish View Post
    Thanks jeepman. I will be replacing the EGR value and the EGR solenoid today. Will let everyone know if it works or not.
    Make sure you have no leaky hoses. Although the kit includes the whole assembly, maybe just change the solenoid/transducer and see if that solves the problem. You may be able to leave your old EGR valve in place or save it as a spare. My new EGR valve was still in the box when I sold my 1995 Caravan 3.3l with 162,000 miles on it. The next Owner had 198,000 miles on it when he sold it, the new EGR valve still in the box.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 112,920 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 311,200 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 251,430 kms

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply