The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Oil Consupmtion in 3.8L and PCV System?

44K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  Hokiefyd 
#1 ·
My 2007 T&C is one of the several that consumes a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. That's within Chrysler's range or normal, but not mine. I've had high mileage engines (150,000) miles plus that didn't burn a drop. Actually, this engine burns more oil than any I've ever owned. But enough of that.

The engine has just over 20,000 miles on it. I changed the spark plugs, and all six of them looked just fine, all the same, just buff coloured, none fouled. I've had problems with a bad PCV valve causing oil consumption in other cars, so I replaced the OEM PCV valve with a new MoPar valve. (On a 3.8, this is a bit of a job.) The PCV valve looked OK, but the bottom end of it--the part that plugs into the valve cover--was just drenched with oil, with oil dripping off of it.

Is this normal?

I've encountered the occasional OHV engine where a baffle or deflector on the inside of the valve cover was missing or had slipped part way off and allowed oil to splash onto the PCV valve inlet area, allowing actual oil, not just cylinder blow-by to get sucked into the intake manifold.

Has anybody encountered this with the 3.8 L V6? Are there any service bulletins out on this? Is the valve cover supposed to have an internal plate or a baffle to prevent oil from getting sucked into the PCV valve? (The Chrysler TSM calls the cover a 'head cover' but I always knew it as a 'valve cover'.)

Thanks. This is terribly annoying. It's a great car that doesn't leak a drop of anything. :beerchug:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.