Oil Consupmtion in 3.8L and PCV System?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Consupmtion in 3.8L and PCV System?

Thanks

Oil Consupmtion in 3.8L and PCV System?

My 2007 T&C is one of the several that consumes a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. That's within Chrysler's range or normal, but not mine. I've had high mileage engines (150,000) miles plus that didn't burn a drop. Actually, this engine burns more oil than any I've ever owned. But enough of that.

The engine has just over 20,000 miles on it. I changed the spark plugs, and all six of them looked just fine, all the same, just buff coloured, none fouled. I've had problems with a bad PCV valve causing oil consumption in other cars, so I replaced the OEM PCV valve with a new MoPar valve. (On a 3.8, this is a bit of a job.) The PCV valve looked OK, but the bottom end of it--the part that plugs into the valve cover--was just drenched with oil, with oil dripping off of it.

Is this normal?

I've encountered the occasional OHV engine where a baffle or deflector on the inside of the valve cover was missing or had slipped part way off and allowed oil to splash onto the PCV valve inlet area, allowing actual oil, not just cylinder blow-by to get sucked into the intake manifold.

Has anybody encountered this with the 3.8 L V6? Are there any service bulletins out on this? Is the valve cover supposed to have an internal plate or a baffle to prevent oil from getting sucked into the PCV valve? (The Chrysler TSM calls the cover a 'head cover' but I always knew it as a 'valve cover'.)

Thanks. This is terribly annoying. It's a great car that doesn't leak a drop of anything.
    2007 Chry. T&C, 2004 PT Cruiser Base, 2001 PT Cruiser Touring, 1996 Dodge Cummins 5 sp.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Here's an idea. I don't know if you can do it but maybe you can disconnect the pcv from the valve cover(head cover)for a couple of thousand of miles to see if that stops your oil issue.
    01 Dodge Grand Caravan (Sport) 3.3
    New tranny at 99,650 miles
    Currently 123,000 miles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kscha41 View Post
    Here's an idea. I don't know if you can do it but maybe you can disconnect the pcv from the valve cover(head cover)for a couple of thousand of miles to see if that stops your oil issue.
    I'm afraid it would throw a code.
    2007 Chry. T&C, 2004 PT Cruiser Base, 2001 PT Cruiser Touring, 1996 Dodge Cummins 5 sp.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt42 View Post
    I'm afraid it would throw a code.
    If that is only what it would do, I would do it. But I 'm not too sure what would happen if you drove around with it disconnected. I guess we wait to see what others have to say.
    01 Dodge Grand Caravan (Sport) 3.3
    New tranny at 99,650 miles
    Currently 123,000 miles

Thanks

Make a catch can using a glass air-compressor water separator in line on the PVC valve. Any oil picked up by the PVC valve will drop into that and you will know your answer in a few hundred miles of driving without setting a code. Just remove any internal filtering devices in the water separator first.
    2002 Chrysler T&C bought new end of 2001.
    3.8 L 108,000 avg. fuel eco. 22.4

2009 Pontiac G8 GT fuel economy not determined yet, currently 22 mpg

Thanks

I wish I could help you...but I too have the oil consumption issue, and I have had 2 separate PCV valves installed, on top of new rings, as well as a "rebuilt" head. And it appears I am still burning oil, although maybe not as fast. It's due for an oil change, so when I get around to changing it, I will benchmark it again (set the level, mark the mileage, and track over 1K miles) and get a better idea of what my consumption still is.

The last time I took it in, they stated that the #1 plug was oil fouled, which is why they went ahead and rebuilt the head.

On a related note...if it is your PCV valve, you should have a TON of oil residue in your intake. Pull off your TB and check...that would give you a good clue. Although be aware, it is normal to have a black, gummy coating.
    2012 Chrysler T&C Touring 3.6 - Family Hauler
    2005 Chrysler T&C Touring 3.8 - RETIRED (Traded at 97K miles)

"Every tyrant in history has known you can't control an armed population. That is why Hitler, Stalin and Mao were strongly against an armed citizenry, while Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and John Adams were for it."

Thanks

Your engine(s) may just have a really aggressive cylinder hone pattern, which promotes a lot of oil retention on the cylinder walls. Maybe your engines were one of the first made after a stone change on the tooling or something. It's possible that nothing will change the oil consumption, save for a new block.

The bright side is your engine will likely far out-live the rest of the van.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 897 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt42 View Post
    The PCV valve looked OK, but the bottom end of it--the part that plugs into the valve cover--was just drenched with oil, with oil dripping off of it.

Is this normal?
    I would guess not unless there is lots of blow by or the system is plugged. I replaced mine last month and it was damp maybe, didn't notice any wetness.

Have you tried high mileage oils to see if they make any difference? Never know.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 112,920 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 311,200 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 251,430 kms

Thanks

No catch can necessary. Was the inside of the PCV hose coated with oil? You can leave your PCV disconnected for awhile and not throw a code as long as you block off the port in the intake. Just make sure to keep the oil changed as it will contaminate faster. I highly doubt its the pcv though. I'm going to throw a vote in for the rings or valve seals leaking.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

It does look like the PCV system is sucking in a noticeable amount of oil. When I removed the intake plenum on a 1999 3.3l engine, it had oil dripping out of it. The valve cover does have a baffle, but maybe there's still enough oil mist that gets through. On the other hand, this may indicate that the engine produces good vacuum and good oil pressure.

+ Reply to Thread