The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

When to replace shocks and struts?

37K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  aKids2003_DGC 
#1 ·
Aside from the "front-fender-bounce test," when do you folks usually replace the struts and shocks on these vans? I've had my 2006 GC SXT for 3 years now and have 38,000 miles on it. I'm still making payments on this thing (6 more, yay!) and want it to drive as close to new as possible.

I actually still have the original Turanza tires on it as well; they've actually held up much better than expected but I don't trust them (even though there is still significant tread across most of the footprint). I'm planning to replace the tires soon with the Michelin Harmony and thought I might install new struts and shocks first. I'm also planning to get an alignment.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
While one could make the argument to replace the Turanza tires, there is no evidence to suggest that you should mess with the shocks and struts for a long-long time yet. FWIW, our 2003 has over 130,000 miles on the factory shocks and struts, and they're all still good. Our 1998 still had the factory struts on at 170,000 miles (when we sold it) and they were still good to go as well. The only change I had to make to either of our vans was that the rear shocks on our 1998 needed replacing at the 150,000 mile mark, not because they weren't working any longer but because the dust shields on both sides had rusted away to tatters, and said tatters were starting to contact the shock valve body and make noise.

#3 ·
I'm sure your struts are fine. When you get tires, ask for the free alignment check before you actually say you want an alignment. I've heard of places charging for alignments when the suspension was still within factory specs but did it because the customer specifically asked for it.

#4 ·
I'm sure your struts are fine.
Respectfully, what are you basing this on? Are you fairly certain that yours are in good condition? I just want my (wife and kids') ride to be the best possible.

I HOPE the struts/shocks are fine at 38000 miles, but my 2001 Ram had blown its shocks by 20000 so I thought I would see what folks here have experienced. These vans are heavy and I don't have much confidence in Chrysler's factory parts. But I'm not looking for a reason to blow money either!
:beerchug:

#6 ·
My van has had the crap beat out of it its whole life. I replaced the front struts around 85k miles as it was starting to be floaty over dips and some larger bumps.

The factory struts lasted the first 60k miles towing campers and hauling electrical equipment for a business. The miles from 60k onward were actually driven by me. I drive the van like I stole it every minuet after the engine has warmed up. WOT and hard on the brakes all the time, cornering at the very limits often and other such abuse. I make sure the Sport suspension gets its workout and I am very aware when something is wrong.

That's how I can assume your 38k mile struts are fine. Most people don't drive their minivans like I do.:thumb:

#5 ·
Unless you are having a specific problem with your struts, I would agree with andyg. Everything I have heard from mechanics and others indicates that, in almost all cases, modern struts can be expected to give good service for a very long time, and it is highly unlikely that replacement is warranted until well after 100,000 miles.

Put new struts on and you are probably wasting your money.

How did you know your 2001 RAM had "blown" its shocks?

#8 ·
Mine are all origional at 200,000klm. and it rides good.

#9 ·
Thanks all, just thought I would ask.

As for my old Ram, the rear shocks had fluid leaking out of both at 20000 miles so I replaced all four. Suddenly it drove like you would expect a one-year-old truck to drive. The general consensus on the Ram forum I used to go to was the Ram's factory shocks were garbage.

As for the GC, I think the ride is still good. I just seem to remember being VERY impressed with the ride when it was new and now I don't get that feeling. Again, just thought I would see how they've held up for other folks.

Thanks again.

#10 · (Edited)
I rebuilt/replaced the struts & shocks with OEM on my 02 DGC @ 105kmi, having to replace the worn/"notchy" strut tower bearings. While the other components were by no means "bad", the whole package did yield a noticeable/satisfying improvement in tightness/damping.

With your (the original poster's) low mileage, I doubt it's time - unless you are experiencing other issues.... (Go for tires, though.)

-Jim

#12 ·
The struts/shocks were VERY tight still on our '03 Grand Caravan Sport when we sold it with about 75,000 miles on it. That van rode tighter than our '07 T&C does. I'm sure the struts/shocks are still a-okay on your van.

#13 ·
Original struts on my 2002 at 125,000 miles. Lots of winter driving and road salt in those miles. They do get a dose of wet rustproofing now and then. Had the vehicle satety inspected in September and all was well including the front end suspension.

#17 ·
My experience on minivans is that the struts last at least 80-100k miles unless you live on a washboard dirt road or other high stress situations. Shocks, about the same. Mine lasted until 130k on my 90 GC. You should see oil leaking or some other obvious sign of failure if they need to go.

#18 · (Edited)
I too have an '06 GC SXT, still on the original Turanzas. At 52K miles the front was OK but the rear bounced a bit, so I just replaced the rear shocks with factory shocks (p/n 4721340AA - about $30 ea. from moparpartsamerica.com). The new shocks matched the old ones.

Note that Dodge offers multiple rear shocks listed by 3-letter codes (4-letters in your van's option list). My code is CYC, listed as CYCS which indicates the rear seating type. You can get your option list for free from a dealer.

I would expect that the front struts will last much longer than the rear shocks. By the way, my van rides great now. And you can't go wrong with Michelins - they're in my future.

#19 ·
Shocks seem fine on our '05 @ 102,00kms, but will be monitoring as I replaced the rears on our 3rd gen at 110,000 (kms). What a difference!

#20 ·
I too have an '06 GC SXT, still on the original Turanzas. At 52K miles the front was OK but the rear bounced a bit, so I just replaced the rear shocks with factory shocks (p/n 4721340AA - about $30 ea. from moparpartsamerica.com). The new shocks matched the old ones.

Note that Dodge offers multiple rear shocks listed by 3-letter codes (4-letters in your van's option list). My code is CYC, listed as CYCS which indicates the rear seating type. You can get your option list for free from a dealer.

I would expect that the front struts will last much longer than the rear shocks. By the way, my van rides great now. And you can't go wrong with Michelins - they're in my future.
I had the Michelin Harmony tires installed last week. Very impressive tire, especially with the unending rain we've had in Alabama this week. In a downpour, the van took off SURPRISINGLY FAST compared to the old tires. I never sensed tire slippage, but apparently the old tires were slipping because the grip is now noticeably increased. The Turanzas were just down to the wear indicator on all four tires.

I'll probably wait until summer to do anything else, but I think I'll replace the shocks then. I understand what everyone is saying about them "lasting 100k" but I want the van to ride its "best." I agree that the struts should far outlast the rear shocks.

Thanks again for everyone's input. This is a very helpful forum.

#21 ·
I wouldn't be quite so quick to assume that replacing the rear shocks will improve your ride. In the case of our 1998, I replaced the factory shocks at about the 160,000 mile mark due the fact that the dust shields had all but rusted away. Unfortunately the high-end KYB Gas-A-Just shocks that I put on the van softened the ride to such an extent that I could feel the back end doing a bit of a dance while driving through the twisty bits in our area. Were it not for the fact that the factory shocks were so badly rusted (and literally disappearing before my eyes), I would have put them back on, even with as many miles as I had on them. Go figure.

#23 ·
Wear that seat belt man. Read about an accident today, not far away, young fellow in a 1/2 truck went off the road, not wearing a seat belt. He won't be driving any more on this planet.

Funny thing about accidents, they happen unexpectedly. One minute driving down the road, next minute hugging a tree.

#24 ·
I hear you.. and In Rural Pennsylvania you never know when a deer is going to come out...Ive started a good trend though.. I have noticed alot of my my friends tend to copy what I do ( i have 3 that want a caravan because they think its cool and really comfortable) but when i have a car full, they ALL PUT THEIR SEATBELTS ON! :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.