inoperable turn signals

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: inoperable turn signals

Thanks

inoperable turn signals

I have a friend with a '99 Dodge Grand Caravan with inoperable turn signals. Where to look first:

Quote Originally Posted by Thraan
    My sister in law called me earlier asking what the right arm signals were for turning left and right.

What??

Okay, so 20 questions later I find out that the real problem is that the turn signals don't work on her minivan. When she would indicate to turn it would flash once or twice and then go out. It was like that for a while (I dunno a week or so, maybe) and now it doesn't even flash once.

So I figure it's not a fuse (but I will check them first anyway) and is probably the flasher relay/module/blackbox/thingy. I phoned a couple of parts places and they don't have them and suggested calling the dealer. Found one place that had one in stock but it's not close to me - $36 part number LM 468. Googled that and found this

http://www.novitatech.com/tridonflashers.html

Sounds like the right part. But let's phone the dealer and ask for parts...

The guy says I should replace the daytime running light module for a cool $97 and btw if it's not that then I can't return electrical parts and I should probably just bring it in for service. And where is it in the vehicle? Oh probably under the dash, it would be a black box about the size of a pack of cards, maybe near the steering column.

Now I'm not sure if the LM 468 is the right part.

So, does anyone know how Dodge Grand Caravan turn signals work? Or what part I need? I'd like to fix it myself, but I don't want to buy the wrong part(s) and waste her money.
    2006 Chrysler Town & Country
    3.8 liter Chrysler engine

Formerly owned 1996 and 1998 Dodge Caravans with the 3.0 liter Mitsubishi engines. Sold one at 190,000 miles and the other at 120,000 miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Edit: The '99 minivan in question is the Canada model. I think it makes a difference.

Formerly owned 1996 and 1998 Dodge Caravans with the 3.0 liter Mitsubishi engines. Sold one at 190,000 miles and the other at 120,000 miles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Klay View Post
    Edit: The '99 minivan in question is the Canada model. I think it makes a difference.
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
    --John K.
    2000 Grand Voyager 3.3, 135k miles, original transmission
    1989 Grand Voyager 3.0, gone but not forgotten

Thanks

I am having a related problem, where the DRLs stay on sometimes when the headlights are turned on, or sometimes don't come on when they are supposed to. The DRLs use the brighter filament in the corner light, the same filament the turn signal uses. So far I still have working turn signals, but I can hear a click when the DRLs turn on or off. When I get time I'll chase down the click and find the module or relay involved. I suggest you try that. With any luck, we can open them and see if cleaning of contacts helps or at least identify something that's gone bad. I turn on all lights 24/7 so I don't need DRLs, so if pulling a relay out fixes my problem I'll stop there.
    sent from my Univac using Assembler.
    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13818&dateline=124855  5576
    98 Grand Voyager LE Deep Cranberry 3.3L
    07 Impala SS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Klay View Post
    I have a friend with a '99 Dodge Grand Caravan with inoperable turn signals. Where to look first:
    the drl module is also the turn signal flasher.The part number is 04686190.It is the size of a deck of cards and is black and up on the left side of the firewall on the inside of the van.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by surfer View Post
    the drl module is also the turn signal flasher.The part number is 04686190.It is the size of a deck of cards and is black and up on the left side of the firewall on the inside of the van.

Thanks for the information, surfer and madbrad. This really helps.

Thanks

I have just had that module out and back in. It's about the size of 2 relays side by side. It's above that row of fuses. Its pins look like they are some on one half for the turn signals and only 3 on the other half for the DRL. I popped off the cover and there's a circuit board and 4 relays. It's about impossible to get anything in those contacts to clean them. I put it back in and I found that as I jiggle it I hear relays clicking. Anyway now the DRLs don't come on. That's fine with me. It seems to me your problem is either that module or the turn signal flasher if there is one. Try the boneyard.
    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13818&dateline=124855  5576
    07 Impala SS

Thanks

left hand turn signal not working

Hi guys
    Help! i have just been given a dodge caravan 1999 3.0L auto electric everything.
    which is great it is a Canadian model exported to the uk 5 yrs ago.
    I have a couple of jobs to do to get it back on the road for the MOT.
    I can do the brakes and tyre etc. But my problem is the left hand turn signal it won't work the right hand one dose and so do the hazard light's the stalk was changed recently (before i got the vehicle) so i am presuming that isn't the issue (i know never presume) any help or advice here would be great a wiring diagram would be fantastic if possible.
    Thank you
    Mark

Thanks

Those "doublewide" DRL flashers seem to be less reliable than the regular kind. I installed one and now am on the third unit, although the first one was bought used.
    I keep the original flasher under the seat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maddogmark View Post
    Hi guys
    Help! i have just been given a dodge caravan 1999 3.0L auto electric everything.
    which is great it is a Canadian model exported to the uk 5 yrs ago.
    I have a couple of jobs to do to get it back on the road for the MOT.
    I can do the brakes and tyre etc. But my problem is the left hand turn signal it won't work the right hand one dose and so do the hazard light's the stalk was changed recently (before i got the vehicle) so i am presuming that isn't the issue (i know never presume) any help or advice here would be great a wiring diagram would be fantastic if possible.
    Thank you
    Mark
    It's possible that doublewide flasher/relay module is bad, but maybe it covers both turn signals. If so, then if it were bad then neither side turn signal would work, so I would begin checking fuses. See if you can find a fuse marked LEFT TURN or something. You coula try pulling the doublewide module and popping off the cover and cleaning the contacts in it with some contact cleaner.
    07 Impala SS

+ Reply to Thread