The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

What Gen 5 Should I Get?

966 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Koooop 
#1 ·
Thinking about finally trading up from my 2002 T&C to a generation 5 minivan (can't afford a new Pacifica). I understand that the first Gen 5 vans had the old 3.8 OHV and 4.0 SOC engines after which the newer 3.2 Pentastar engines were used. Which year is considered best among the Gen 5 minivans? I'd like to know if there's a specific year (or years) I should be looking at. There's quite a price spread from 2008 to 2016. Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 ·
First, 5 Gen. are equipped with a 3.6 Pentastar.

If you can get a 2013+ with so called HD brakes, that would be your best option. I have no complaints about my 2012 with std. (underrated brakes).

At least, try to get one with the 3.6 engine.

#3 ·
I've had little to complain about with our '14 at over 80k miles. HD brakes and 3.6L. I don't have experience with earlier 5th gens though.

#5 ·
2014 built after Jan 20th 2014 and newer

#7 ·
I'll weigh in here - have a 2009 Caravan with 4.0L engine. Did not do my research before buying due to lack of time, and have a little buyer's remorse. If you are not a DIYer and take your van to be serviced at shops, these may not be an issue for you

Unlike our old 3.3 in our 2002, the 4.0L uses a timing belt rather than a chain. Unless you have the time and inclination to change the belt at the 100k intervals, and the water pump is recommended at the same time. We could not find out if our '09 had the service, so we did it just to be sure (paying a fair amount at a dealer because I did not have time).

Where the filter in our old 3.3 was vertical and easily reached at the front of the engine, could be easily removed with no spills, and the stock size filter could swapped for a huge oil filter (we used Purolator p30001), the 4.0L filter is mounted horizontally back by the passenger tire, and with limited space for a larger filter.

I replaced the horizontal transmission pan in our 3.3 with an aftermarket one with a drain bolt, to make future ATF changes easier. The 4.0L does not have a transmission dipstick (completely sealed system), and the pan is vertical - looks like it will be messy.

The van uses a key-fob only to start the car, so you can't get a new key cut at the hardware store for a buck or two as a spare. You need a new key fob to be programmed.

Other than the above, I really like the van. They are more annoyances than anything.

My wife does not care for it, because our '02 was a regular van and the '09 is a Grand, and is larger/ harder (in her mind) to park. She likes driving it, though, and prefers driving in the snow with the new van than the old

#8 ·
You should be able to get a cheap FOB off ebay for an '09, the story goes that you can self program the '09 models and some of the '10 models. Of course I have the '10 that you can't self program because nothing is easy for me with this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.