The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

How to replace reading light bulb?

15K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  skiboarder119 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the little reading-lamp bulbs from the overhead console to replace them? I have one that sometimes goes dim.

#2 ·
OK. So you pull/pry and the trim pops off. Now I really have a problem. There is a round flat led inside these that is about the size of the lense and held on by two posts. I didn't try squeezing the posts together to see if it would pop out (or if it's maybe soldered in).

All the parts sites (including Wagner-the manufacturer) list a 194, which this surely isn't.

Attachments

#4 ·
I wouldn't be surprised if you have to buy the entire assembly, as opposed to just a new LED. This is true for high mounted brake light, which consists of several LEDs.

That being said, the LED shouldn't be failing so soon - they last in many cases 10,000+ hours. I bet there is something wrong with the circuitry.

#5 ·
Rather than just stay at a low level the light has taken to flashing high and low several times a second. I find it sort of festive when the first door is opened at night, but my wife...not so much.

The Dealer will replace it under warranty. Those lights should outlast me.

#7 ·
I would recommend swapping the 'bad' lighting assembly with another one in the vehicle. It looks like you have two available to you in the pictures. Just change places and see what happens.

If the blinking problem remains in the same assembly, then you know the problem is with that assembly. You almost certainly will need to replace the whole assembly. Replacing that LED is possible, but only if you get the right LED (good luck).

If the problem starts occuring in the same location, but on the previously 'good' assembly, then you've got a connector or wire harness problem.

#8 ·
Tried swapping and the unit is bad.

Tried looking for just the LED. No way.

The Dealer has a new unit to replace this one. I don't think they consider this to be a "wear item" like a lightbulb because of the extreme MTBF of the LEDs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.