2.4 to 3.8 swap

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2.4 to 3.8 swap

2.4 to 3.8 swap

Hello, ive tried searching and haven't found what im looking for. I have an opportunity to get an 07 dodge caravan with a blown 2.4L for basically free. What would be needed to swap in a 3.8L? New ecu, engine mounts, exhaust, what about the transmission? Axles? Any help would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Do you live in a state which requires emissions testing? At least here in Arizona, the emissions testing on a 1996 or newer vehicle requires interfacing with the onboard computer to verify that the "check engine" light is commanded to be off, and the VIN is read from the computer, but then checked against the barcode label on the driver's door/door jamb as well as the VIN plate which is visible through the windshield.

On pre-1996 models, nothing is connected to the vehicle's onboard computer, however both VIN labels are checked, and they open the hood to make sure that the engine has not been tampered with, as well as inspect the exhaust system underneath. I am unsure if you can pass emissions with a modified vehicle that has a different type of engine than what it came with.

Why not just buy a used 2.4 L engine, or try to repair the one which is there. Perhaps the problem is minor, such as a broken timing belt?

I live in North dakota and theres no emissions here. Its only about 200 more for the 3.8L, and about another 400ish for the exhaust, ecm and others. I will sale it once its running because i already have on 08 t&c with the 3.8l and i believe the 3.8 will sale for more and be easier to sale

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I would do a lot of research. I think there are many differences. My 1996 Voyager SE 2.4L differs from the V-6 vans w/ smaller wheels (14" vs 15") and different hubs - maybe spindles, ball joints, and control arm too. The catalytic converter and exhaust is likely different too. Pretty sure the transmission bolt pattern varies too. V-6 minivans are easily available cheap, so hard to imagine you could add value for all the time and risk. 2007 might be the last year of the 4 cyl. I read that 2005+ engines had problems from changing to a smaller thrust bearing and the block machining doesn't allow installing the earlier bearings. When worn, you see the crankshaft moving axially in and out. I would think you could easier get a used 2.4L engine, and a 2004- might be better. I expect any variations for emissions would be parts you can bolt onto an earlier engine. My 2.4L doesn't have EGR or anything emissions related other than simple PCV, but does have ports for EGR since the same engine used in Neons and PT Cruisers required EGR to pass the stricter emissions for passenger cars (minivans are "trucks" under EPA rules).

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewme View Post
    Hello, ive tried searching and haven't found what im looking for. I have an opportunity to get an 07 dodge caravan with a blown 2.4L for basically free. What would be needed to swap in a 3.8L? New ecu, engine mounts, exhaust, what about the transmission? Axles? Any help would be great.
    I would spend my time and money somewhere else. Sounds like a can of worms ready for opening.

All you get out of it in the end is a minivan after all.
    Steve
    1999 Caravan LE, 3.3L, 300,000KM
    2005 Saturn Vue AWD (Honda J35 3.5 V-TEC 260HP) 216,000KM
    1982 Suzuki Katana,(ported/shaved head,11:1,4in1,KNre-cal/filters,cam,120HP)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BillGrissom View Post
    I would do a lot of research. I think there are many differences. My 1996 Voyager SE 2.4L differs from the V-6 vans w/ smaller wheels (14" vs 15") and different hubs - maybe spindles, ball joints, and control arm too. The catalytic converter and exhaust is likely different too. Pretty sure the transmission bolt pattern varies too. V-6 minivans are easily available cheap, so hard to imagine you could add value for all the time and risk. 2007 might be the last year of the 4 cyl. I read that 2005+ engines had problems from changing to a smaller thrust bearing and the block machining doesn't allow installing the earlier bearings. When worn, you see the crankshaft moving axially in and out. I would think you could easier get a used 2.4L engine, and a 2004- might be better. I expect any variations for emissions would be parts you can bolt onto an earlier engine. My 2.4L doesn't have EGR or anything emissions related other than simple PCV, but does have ports for EGR since the same engine used in Neons and PT Cruisers required EGR to pass the stricter emissions for passenger cars (minivans are "trucks" under EPA rules).
    The highlighted area hits the nail on the head. If you want to change out the engine for yourself it might be worth it. Otherwise, it will not return the value. There is a good reason you are getting the van "cheap"......

Put in the same motor, flip it, buy one with a 3.8

10. The Following User Says Thank You to slantback66 For This Useful Post:

shipo(04-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by slantback66 View Post
    Put in the same motor, flip it, buy one with a 3.8
    WURD!

The fact is, effing around trying to fit a "V" shaped peg in an "I" shaped hole will be both expensive and time consuming, not the mention, errr, well, I won't go there. Long story short, do like Slantback66 says, replace the motor like-for-like and then flip the van for a 3.8 liter model of you want a van with that engine.
    Sold: 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 (Final odo: 178,000 miles)
    Sold: 1998 Chrysler T&C LXi 3.8 (Final odo: 190,000 miles)
    Sold: 2003 DGC ES 3.8 (Final odo: 172,000 miles)
    1999 Chrysler T&C Limited 3.8 (Current odo: 200,000+ miles)
    2001 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (4-Speed automatic)
    2006 Acura TL 6-Speed
    2016 Mazda3 s Grand Touring 5-Door (6-Speed manual)

Quote Originally Posted by shipo View Post
    WURD!

The fact is, effing around trying to fit a "V" shaped peg in an "I" shaped hole will be both expensive and time consuming, not the mention, errr, well, I won't go there. Long story short, do like Slantback66 says, replace the motor like-for-like and then flip the van for a 3.8 liter model of you want a van with that engine.

This guy already have a van with. 3.8l:

....I will sale it once its running because i already have on 08 t&c with the 3.8l and i believe the 3.8 will sale for more and be easier to sale
    He just wants to sell it and make some money.

Yes, better off not even getting this vehicle for free, unless he have time and space to parting it out and sell it in parts.

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

Sounds like a can of warms to me -- swapping the engine is a solid 2-3 day project, not to mention the time involved in getting the engine and getting rid of the old one.

I would NOT "upgrade" to 3.8 no matter what -- the tranny and other things will be different. By the time you are through with it, you'll have dozens of small parts under the hood to replace. If you choose to do anything, I'd drop in a 2.4 in there. Another question is how much money will you get out of it -- these vans aren't worth a whole lot to begin with ($1500-$2000 tops). If you spend $500 on it, your best reward would be $1000-1500 for a LOT of hassle.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply