2016 Grand Caravan - Cleaning Engine?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2016 Grand Caravan - Cleaning Engine?

2016 Grand Caravan - Cleaning Engine?

My wife's car is a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.6L Pentastar engine. On my car (2010 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L) I know I can lightly spray the engine with water and degreaser and take a paint brush and clean up the grime and then hose it off to get the engine mostly clean looking. (Not looking for perfection, just trying to keep it from getting years of grime built up)

Does anyone know if there is any particular issue with doing the same to the minivan? We plan on keeping our vehicles until they are no longer worth repairing (15-20 years of service hopefully) so I am trying to avoid super nasty engines down the road.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Pretty much the same as any engine. Avoid spraying the electrical system with water. Would be a good idea to cover them w/ a bag. Any all purpose cleaner should do a good job (i.e. diluted Simple Green).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob5150 View Post
    My wife's car is a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.6L Pentastar engine. On my car (2010 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L) I know I can lightly spray the engine with water and degreaser and take a paint brush and clean up the grime and then hose it off to get the engine mostly clean looking. (Not looking for perfection, just trying to keep it from getting years of grime built up)

Does anyone know if there is any particular issue with doing the same to the minivan? We plan on keeping our vehicles until they are no longer worth repairing (15-20 years of service hopefully) so I am trying to avoid super nasty engines down the road.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
    Years ago when I was first learning how to wrench on cars (during college), my mentor showed me a beautifully maintained vehicle with a filthy engine and he asked, "What should we do about that?"

I told him I thought we should clean it up. He laughed at me and said, "Son, if it ain't broke, don't eff with it." Long story short, a dirty engine never caused a vehicle to last one mile less than it otherwise would have; the flip side is the cleaning of an engine can often cause issues which in turn need to be repaired.
    Sold: 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 (Final odo: 178,000 miles)
    Sold: 1998 Chrysler T&C LXi 3.8 (Final odo: 190,000 miles)
    Sold: 2003 DGC ES 3.8 (Final odo: 172,000 miles)
    1999 Chrysler T&C Limited 3.8 (Current odo: 200,000+ miles)
    2001 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (4-Speed automatic)
    2006 Acura TL 6-Speed
    2016 Mazda3 s Grand Touring 5-Door (6-Speed manual)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

I don't like owning or working on "filthy" engines.

If its filthy it's not "beautifully maintained" as mentioned above. (Maybe it's just me.)

I'm not recommending for everyone, but at least twice a year I spray my entire engine compartment with degreaser (while hot) loosen dirt with a parts cleaning brush and pressure wash with very hot water. Obviously I don't blast it into sensitive areas, but I'm really not shy at all.

I then start/warm-up and drive it to dry it off. Never had problems.

(Much more pleasant to service when the time comes)
    Steve
    1999 Caravan LE, 3.3L, 300,000KM
    2005 Saturn Vue AWD (Honda J35 3.5 V-TEC 260HP) 216,000KM
    1982 Suzuki Katana,(ported/shaved head,11:1,4in1,KNre-cal/filters,cam,120HP)

I clean my engines about once a year with diluted Simple Green and I use a brush to agitate more stubborn dirt. Hose it off and I'm done. As dress up I use tire foam. No problems at all, but as mentioned, I stay out of the unprotected electrical areas, like the alternator, or electrical connections, although they are protected, but should not see a pressurized stream of water.

Wash it or don't wash it, either way it's a personal preference only, the vehicle couldn't care less. It's a machine after all, lol.

2015 Dodge // Grand Caravan Crew
    2006 Mazda 3 2.0L
    1995 Kawasaki Ninja 500

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply