Front Hitch on a 2002 Minivan

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Front Hitch on a 2002 Minivan

Front Hitch on a 2002 Minivan

Has anyone put a front hitch on a 2002 T&C? I'm thinking that would let me haul our bikes on the front, and then be able to put a cargo carrier on the back hitch.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

I don't believe anyone make a front hitch for your vehicle.

Maybe you can install some Tow Plates and have someone adapt them as a hitch. Not made to wear weight, so be carefull of what you install on that hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates...id=20021005307

Better yet, install the bike rack straight to those removable plates, no hitch required.

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

Thanks

It's not a great idea to put weight way out in the front of the vehicle, as it makes them unstable. And the higher the speed, the more unstable they become. Remember riding a bike with lots of weight in the front basket.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Get a roof carrier for the bikes if you have to, there's nothing to bolt any weight to on the front...
    That lower radiator support (crossmember) is just strong enough to carry the weight of the front trans mount.
    Additionally, the front suspension isn't going to like being loaded out in front of the axle. It'll be an accident waiting to happen.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to atoman For This Useful Post:

Caraman99(04-16-2017)

There may be a legal issue with obstruction of vision. where i live you can't have anything higher then two inches above the horizontal plain of the hood. just a thought.

Mr. Fixit

Like the guys said, I'd go with the roof carriers. You'll have a lot more trouble trying to install anything in the front.

Another thing to consider is the Gross Vehicle Weight. Its broken down per axle. I believe the front axle GVW on our van is rated at 2450 lbs., to which is 2100 lbs. without passengers, which comes out to just 350 lbs. of passenger weight. The rear GVW is much more though, over a 1000 lbs.
    Last edited by itsallgood; 04-19-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    01 DGC EX w/ 3.8L engine w/205K+. Bought used in Sep. 2003 w/36K

07 Toyota Camry w/2.4L engine w/112K+. Bought used in Nov. 2009 w/36K

Quote Originally Posted by atoman View Post
    Get a roof carrier for the bikes if you have to, there's nothing to bolt any weight to on the front...
    That lower radiator support (crossmember) is just strong enough to carry the weight of the front trans mount.
    Additionally, the front suspension isn't going to like being loaded out in front of the axle. It'll be an accident waiting to happen.
    Have you ever seen how vehicles are tested?

I live near a testing facility, very often see a convoy of vehicles on the highway with heavy weights in front of the vehicle. I would say a bicycle or two would not be a safety issue, I personally prefer front bumper vs roof, as long as is not against the law.

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

Quote Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
    Has anyone put a front hitch on a 2002 T&C? I'm thinking that would let me haul our bikes on the front, and then be able to put a cargo carrier on the back hitch.

Any thoughts?
    I suggest putting a class 3 hitch on the rear and using a hitch mount bike rack. You can buy a bike rack that can be lowered to clear the lift gate, so it can be opened without have to remove the bikes. As other have suggested, buy a roof top carrier. Check your owners manual for the Gross Vehicle Weight for your vehicle. Its very important for your safety and the safety of those on the road with you.
    01 DGC EX w/ 3.8L engine w/205K+. Bought used in Sep. 2003 w/36K

07 Toyota Camry w/2.4L engine w/112K+. Bought used in Nov. 2009 w/36K

Thanks for the responses. I'm probably going to go with the rear hitch carrier, I just wanted to be able to put a cargo carrier there.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply