Front Hitch on a 2002 Minivan

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Front Hitch on a 2002 Minivan

Thanks

I think I would put the cargo carrier on top the van and the bikes on the back. Would be less wind drag and likely easier to get the bikes loaded and unloaded.
    2005 T&C Touring. 3.8L Midnight Blue. 197K Still Runs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
    I think I would put the cargo carrier on top the van and the bikes on the back. Would be less wind drag and likely easier to get the bikes loaded and unloaded.
    +1

That's exactly what he is planning to do.

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

Thanks

With a little welding ability, it would likely be easier to adapt a cargo carrier to install a bike rack above it. By putting everything behind the van, you should get less air drag which will save a lot of gas if driving a long ways. Those early bi-planes got a lot of drag from the wires strung between the wings. A bike on top is similar.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Maybe a dumb idea, but why not get a small trailer instead?

You could carry more than bikes in it if you want, and still open the rear hatch with it hooked up. Lower drag for travelling and easier to load/use. Also handy for many other things. When you're done with it, just unhook it. (you can sell it later easier than all that other stuff)

Just my thoughts.
    Steve
    1999 Caravan LE, 3.3L, 300,000KM
    2005 Saturn Vue AWD (Honda J35 3.5 V-TEC 260HP) 216,000KM
    1982 Suzuki Katana,(ported/shaved head,11:1,4in1,KNre-cal/filters,cam,120HP)

Quote Originally Posted by Caraman99 View Post
    Maybe a dumb idea, but why not get a small trailer instead?

You could carry more than bikes in it if you want, and still open the rear hatch with it hooked up. Lower drag for travelling and easier to load/use. Also handy for many other things. When you're done with it, just unhook it. (you can sell it later easier than all that other stuff)

Just my thoughts.
    Is not dumb at all, but many people are not made for trailering. Very small trailers are very hard to reverse, especially if can't be seen on rearview mirrors. The bigger the trailer, the easier to back it up.

There are newer trailers that behave like vehicle and trailer are one single unit, but not many yet.

2012 Town & Country
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LEVY For This Useful Post:

Caraman99(04-21-2017)

Thanks

I would only use a trailer if it was the last resort.

Regarding weight on the front, the automakers may test cars to their limits, because they know we are stupid, but as with loading a bike with heavy groceries in the front basket, I wouldn't put the bikes on the front of the car.

The roof is fine, but I think there's a 150 to 200 lb weight limit, which is a dynamic rollover/stability issue, and not a roof strength issue. Probably the safest is a bike rack for a rear trailer hitch, but again there's a tongue weight/load issue.

Problems, problems, but don't the bikes fit in the back of the van?

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    Have you ever seen how vehicles are tested?
    as long as is not against the law.
    How new vehicles are tested has very little to do with how decade old used vehicles perform "in the wild".

If you plan on having a mod like a front hitch with a load on a caravan, you'd better have very good insurance policy and umbrella coverage.
    If anything happens and someone gets hurt or killed, you just put a huge target on your vehicle for the lawyers to use...

Quote Originally Posted by atoman View Post
    How new vehicles are tested has very little to do with how decade old used vehicles perform "in the wild".

If you plan on having a mod like a front hitch with a load on a caravan, you'd better have very good insurance policy and umbrella coverage.
    If anything happens and someone gets hurt or killed, you just put a huge target on your vehicle for the lawyers to use...
    Lawyers always go for the max of your insurance, they don't bother to even try to get any from your bank account, let alone your personal property.

They test used and new vehicles all the time. Will take pictures next time.

Try finding an attorney who will try to go after your personal property or bank accounts.

2012 Town & Country
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    Lawyers always go for the max of your insurance, they don't bother to even try to get any from your bank account, let alone your personal property.

They test used and new vehicles all the time. Will take pictures next time.

Try finding an attorney who will try to go after your personal property or bank accounts.
    I've seen several cases of insurance companies refusing to pay claims on account of "improper or undisclosed" modifications...
    relevant vehicle: '05 -=C=- T&C Ltd @~135K

Quote Originally Posted by atoman View Post
    I've seen several cases of insurance companies refusing to pay claims on account of "improper or undisclosed" modifications...
    It could be. As far as I know, you don't have to notify them, unless your vehicle is modified for racing. But, a front hitch? I doubt it, or no vehicle would have a front hitch.

2012 Town & Country
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply