New 2005 T & C owner trans fluid & filter change

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New 2005 T & C owner trans fluid & filter change

New 2005 T & C owner trans fluid & filter change

Hi! Being a technoboob, my forum search resulted in no threads. I need to know exactly what type of transmission fluid to use, suggested brand of trans filter, and how much fluid the trans takes when this service is done...I have a 2005 shorty with a 3.3...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

By the way, this van has 208K...

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    By the way, this van has 208K...
    Fluid will be ATF+4. For the filter Mopar is good or you can use a Wix filter. Where do you normally biy your parts from?

Capacity for a drain and fill with new filter is 4 quarts.
    2015 Grand Caravan SXT Plus
    Granite Crystal Metallic
    27,xxx Kms
    5w-20 Pennzoil Platinum w Pure Plus/Wix filter 10010

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Transmission fluid: ATF+4

I don't believe there is a preferred filter brand.

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

I also have a 2005 T&C. It had 150,000 when I decided to do the first Transmission fluid change. I purchased a Dorman transmission pan with a drain plug and a new filter kit. Then changed the fluid and filter by removing the OEM pan. I then changed the fluid at every 5,000 miles (when I did an engine oil change) for the next few times. Now the transmission fluid is bright red and smells great. Shifting has also improved.
    2005 Town & Country Limited

Thank you guys for your replies! I have ordered a new Dorman trans pan with a drain and plan to do the fluid and filter change when it arrives. I am going to replace the rear drum brakes Wednesday as there is a leaking wheel cylinder on the right rear brake. The parts for that have arrived. I already replaced both front headlight cans and got a hubcap that was missing.

I never change ATF on any of my vehicles, never had any transmission issues (other than due to an accident). Have vehicles with over 500,000 miles, still running great.

To me, people who have transmission problems changed transmission fluids at least once before, those who haven't changed ATF at all are less prone to transmission problems. If you change ATF, replace transmission pan as soon as possible, dust or some mosquitoes that love ATF smell can get in there causing problems later on. If you insists on changing ATF, then replacing the t. pan with one with a drain plug us they way to go. Back on the 60's, most vehicles had a ATF drain plug, not anymore, why? No, is not to save $0.05 per vehicle!!

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

From experience I will add: don't overtorque and strip any of the pan bolts. The steel bolts go into the aluminum block and can strip if you crank on them.
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L 244,000 miles and counting

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Danno50 For This Useful Post:

JC1(04-21-2017)

I found this is a pretty informative video that might help you decide the what, when and hows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o690DovjDAc
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L 244,000 miles and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Danno50 View Post
    I found this is a pretty informative video that might help you decide the what, when and hows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o690DovjDAc
    Good video, that gut seems to know his business, but he left a couple of things out, so he is not 100% accurate. Yes, a transmission "can get damaged" by (not properly) changing ATF.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply