Transer gear

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transer gear

Transer gear

Alright, so everyone seems to think this is a big waste of time and it will be a major project.... so please let me explain... My whole purpose of doing this transfer gear swap is to lower the RPM's on the highway because its only a 3 speed and the speed limit in ohio is 70mph, that being said I was told this swap is about a 20 min job with a lift which i have, but for heck sake lets say 1 hr, unbolt trans side cover 10(bolts) un bolt two transfer gears, then put new ones on and mount pan again, i really don't see the waste of time here, anyways i do have a few questions, will this change my speedometer ?? i was told NO because it reads off the passenger axle and this should not affect my speedo, please only informative comments, thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider1200 View Post
    Alright, so everyone seems to think this is a big waste of time and it will be a major project.... so please let me explain... My whole purpose of doing this transfer gear swap is to lower the RPM's on the highway because its only a 3 speed and the speed limit in ohio is 70mph, that being said I was told this swap is about a 20 min job with a lift which i have, but for heck sake lets say 1 hr, unbolt trans side cover 10(bolts) un bolt two transfer gears, then put new ones on and mount pan again, i really don't see the waste of time here, anyways i do have a few questions, will this change my speedometer ?? i was told NO because it reads off the passenger axle and this should not affect my speedo, please only informative comments, thanks
    Nightrider,

The person who answered the above question on your other post is one of the more knowledgeable person in this forum, I don't know what kind of answer you are looking for.

Seems like you have a very nice, low mikeage vehicle, think twice before you make any changes. Good thing is you can always ho back to stock.

Good luck.

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LEVY For This Useful Post:

Caraman99(04-07-2017)

Hello nightrider 1200!
    (Honda, right?)

I purchased an older bi-directional scanner this winter (Snap On MT 2500), and was playing with different "pinion factor" options for my van since I had changed from 15" to 16" wheels. For fun I set the P-Factor to 14" with the 16" rims and the speedo was off by something like 10km/hr! (at least!)
    Wouldn't you (almost) achieve the same results changing rim/tire size? (no ATF to clean up!)

(BTW, I set my van for correct tire size and speedo is spot on. GPS agrees)
    Last edited by Caraman99; 04-07-2017 at 11:18 PM.
    Steve
    1999 Caravan LE, 3.3L, 300,000KM
    2005 Saturn Vue AWD (Honda J35 3.5 V-TEC 260HP) 216,000KM
    1982 Suzuki Katana,(ported/shaved head,11:1,4in1,KNre-cal/filters,cam,120HP)

6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Alright guys, so i took the leap and made the change in the transfer gears!!! It took about 1 solid hour, but the results are superb to say the least, the van cruises as 75 with pleasure and without the high rpm noise of the engine. My rpm's dropped around 400 RPM's at 70 MPH. Also, being the 3L engine there is minimal if not any power loss off the line. To answer my own question and for others down the line changing the gears DO NOT AFFECT the speedometer at all!!!! The reason for this is the change is being made before the wheel speed sensor, therefore the sensor reads after the gears and only on the axle, that is why there is no change. Even for the novice mechanic the swap was easy, the only issue was you need a gear puller to get the gears off, other than that i would recommend it to anyone who has the 3 speed trans if you do highway driving, anyways thanks for the inputs everyone

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nightrider1200 For This Useful Post:

1994 Sport(04-11-2017), 97K15004WD(04-08-2017), Caraman99(04-08-2017), LEVY(04-08-2017)

Alright guys, so i took the leap and made the change in the transfer gears!!! It took about 1 solid hour, but the results are superb to say the least, the van cruises as 75 with pleasure and without the high rpm noise of the engine. My rpm's dropped around 400 RPM's at 70 MPH. Also, being the 3L engine there is minimal if not any power loss off the line. To answer my own question and for others down the line changing the gears DO NOT AFFECT the speedometer at all!!!! The reason for this is the change is being made before the wheel speed sensor, therefore the sensor reads after the gears and only on the axle, that is why there is no change. Even for the novice mechanic the swap was easy, the only issue was you need a gear puller to get the gears off, other than that i would recommend it to anyone who has the 3 speed trans if you do highway driving, anyways thanks for the inputs everyone
    I have to say you're obviously young/brave/nuts/and/or experienced. The van must feel awesome on the highway! Good job!

NOW you need some big snazzy rims!
    Steve
    1999 Caravan LE, 3.3L, 300,000KM
    2005 Saturn Vue AWD (Honda J35 3.5 V-TEC 260HP) 216,000KM
    1982 Suzuki Katana,(ported/shaved head,11:1,4in1,KNre-cal/filters,cam,120HP)

Not that I need it or wanted to do it but, if you took pictures, please post them. Also, post info on where to buy, part numbers etc. others will benefit for sure.

Also, regarding this statement:

To answer my own question and for others down the line changing the gears DO NOT AFFECT the speedometer at all!!!! The reason for this is the change is being made before the wheel speed sensor, therefore the sensor reads after the gears and only on the axle, that is why there is no change.
    I believe you must give credit to whoever gave you the answer to that question and also suggested to change gears and not the whole transmission:

Quote Originally Posted by 1994 Sport View Post

Another alternative is to swap out your transfer gears in your existing 3 spd. It will have the same effect as swapping the rear end gears in an older car. Lower RPM's at highway speed. The swap is fairly easy, the gears are housed under the cover on the drivers side of the trans. Not hard to service. And since your speedo is driven by your right drive axle no speedo recali would be needed.

Here a chart showing some different ratios. There are more complete charts out their, you'll have to do some searching if you're interested.
    http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...formation.html
    Again, pictures would help others.

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply