Service Tire System Soon - Message

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Service Tire System Soon - Message

Thanks

Wonder if you could measure the signal strength with an RF meter to determine which sensor has the weak battery. Anywho, yours is at the 5 year limit so probably best to change all of them anyway.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 206K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Wonder if you could measure the signal strength with an RF meter to determine which sensor has the weak battery. Anywho, yours is at the 5 year limit so probably best to change all of them anyway.
    it might be possible, but it would not be 100% accurate.. (many factors can effect RF signal strength) not to mention that the sensors could be from a mixed batch (different dates / components / factories)

besides, i'm fairly certain that it's not low RF signal that triggers the warning. Rather, the sensors monitor the battery voltage and at certain level transmit a "code" to the system..

Since flash9 recently replaced the tires it makes little sense to wait to see how long the batteries will last.. (although, on some TPMS you may have up to 18 months before they start to drop out)

RE: battery life
    obviously the more hours the van is driven, the more use batteries will be subjected to. that said, lithium batteries can (theoretically) last over 10 years - primarily depending on the "quality" (purity) of the materials used.. and secondly on the capacity / current draw...
    *if mopar (or whoever designed for them) wanted these things to last, they would put a small generator into the sensor (it could easily recharge a small LiION battery or even a capacitor and last far longer)
    but there's no profit in that..

Thanks

Seems to me they could have put one of those things in the sensors like some watches have... you know the kind that charges themselves with movement... plenty of movement in a spinning wheel...
    Jeff
    http://www.facebook.com/eddie.munster
    Current:
    2007 Grand Caravan/3.8L V6/103K mi/original 41TE
    2006 300C/5.7L HEMI V8/128/K mi/original W5A580
    2002 PT Cruiser/2.4L I4/139K mi/original 40TE
    1992 S-10/4.3L V6/249K mi/original 4L60E
    Previous minivans:
    1997 Grand Voyager SE/traded@192K mi/3.3L V6/original 41TE
    2003 Grand Caravan Sport/3.8L V6/traded@124K mi/original 41TE
    2007 T&C/3.8L V6/traded@44K mi/ original 41TE
    2010 T&C Touring/3.8L V6/the ex's@72K mi/original 62TE

Thanks

If it makes you feel any better I have the same problem with my 2002 and it went away when the weather became warmer.

Once it starts up again once it gets cold I will replace all the wheel sensors and see if it corrects the problem.

But it is still warm enough that it has not dropped the battery voltage in the sensors yet.
    2002 Chrysler T&C bought new end of 2001.
    3.8 L 108,000 avg. fuel eco. 22.4

2009 Pontiac G8 GT fuel economy not determined yet, currently 22 mpg

Thanks

Exclamation Parts Update

I ordered the Pressure Sensor Monitors for all four tires today from a local O'Reilly Auto Parts store. They estimate it will take a week to get them in-stock.

I will update again in 7-10 days once I get the parts and have them installed.

Thanks

Thumbs up No more Service Tire System Soon Message!

Purchased four of the Dorman Part Number 974-028 Tire Pressure Sensors on Friday.

Last night on my way home from work I took the van back to the small tire shop, and we proceeded to replace all four valve stem / tire sensors on the vehicle. The instructions say to wait 20 minutes after pressurizing the tires. After starting the van, I drove home, which is just a couple miles away. At first I was still getting the Service Tire System Soon, message as well as 3 Tire(s) have Low Pressure message. About half way home the Service Tire System Soon, message went away, but the 3 Tire(s) have Low Pressure message stayed lit. When I got home I inflated all four tires to 38 PSI. The 3 Tire(s) have Low Pressure message proceeded to stay on for about another 10 minutes of driving (I was getting concerned) and then the display finally went back to compass and exterior temperature!

Total cost $140 Parts, $40 Labor, Total $180.

Not cheep, but a lot less then the dealership wanted to do the work.

I hope this information will help others in the future.

Thanks

Great info flash9 and MoparChickie!

Now I know my 09 DGC's TPMS sensor batteries are only good for 5 years....so in 2014....
    - Kevin

2009 Bright Silver Metallic Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3.3L v6 18k mi
    2001 Stone White Chrysler Sebring Convertible Limited 2.7L v6 85k mi

"If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away?"
    "Neither would I!" - Ferris Bueller

Thanks

I am betting in the next couple of weeks once it cools off ours will start setting service soon again and I will do as you did and replace the sensors. I am betting though that I will be able to put the sensors in myself by lower an object along the side of the tire to break the bead off and replace sensor and refill tire.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by struggle View Post
    ... I am betting though that I will be able to put the sensors in myself by lower an object along the side of the tire to break the bead off and replace sensor and refill tire.
    You very well might be able to do this. On the first tire we tried this, but struggled to get our hand inside the tire in order to install the tire pressure sensor.

After working at it for a few minutes, the mechanic said, the he11 with this, and went ahead and used the tire mounting machine, and separated one side of the tire from the rim. This made it a lot easier to mount the tire pressure sensor per the instructions.

I guess if you try this and it does not work, you can always call some tire shops to see what they would charge. For me, the $40 was money well spent.

Thanks

It will be a try and see thing for sure. Glad you got yours taken care of. Did you relearn the sensors with the magnet?

+ Reply to Thread