The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Zerex G05 availability :(

16K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Hokiefyd 
#1 ·
My wifes van had leaked out some coolant, and I tried to get some Zerex G05 to fill it up. I tried Walmart, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, and Advanced Auto without any luck.

It was late and the NAPA was not open. (I understand they carry it). I heard Carquest might carry it, but I did not get a chance to look.

I had to use the "works with all cars" Prestone, since the last place I stopped at did not have the Peak Global Lifetime, also a universal coolant.

The guys at the store looked at me funny when I mentioned Chrysler HOAT, or Zerex G05.

Very frustrating to say the least.

#2 ·
Ford HOAT will work as well, just a different color.

The guys at the store .......... impressive these days, aren't they. :) They learn from the Customer, no training, can't be bothered, have to get back to texting attitude. :cry:

#3 ·
I find that Carquest is the only retailer around New England that regularly stocks G-05, however, my local Napa will order it if I want to buy it one case at a time. Grrr. I bought two gallons for our 2003 from Carquest, thank you very much. ;)

#5 ·
Since it's used by both Chrysler, Ford and others, availability shouldn't be an issue, one would think.

Here's the vehicle use Chart.

#6 ·
I just take the plunge and get the Mopar at the dealer.
Makes me feel I am helping out the dealer and Ma Mopar at the same time.
NH sucks for things like this,and to have the choice of Mopar or non existant Xerex is just foolish.What does Worldwide Wally World sell? You guessed it,NOT Xerex.

#7 ·
Here, they (Wal-Mart) do sell Zerex G-05.

#9 ·
If Wally does stock Xerex,that proves that they do regional lines and the Wallys on one coast are not the same as on the other coast.Thats stupid marketing.Imagine every one selling the same brands....think how much of 1 product they could turn nationwide.That would in turn get them a better price (they wouldnt have to twist arms like they do know).But,what big business is smart? I feel WM survives only because they are so huge,and they killed off most of their competition way back (so they can jack up prices now).

#12 ·
G-05 is Zerex's product offering of a HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) coolant that lasts far longer than conventional Ethylene Glycol based coolants, doesn't corrode the many non-iron components in the cooling system, and is specifically required for use in late model Chrysler and Ford vehicles.

#16 ·
The thing is, between Ford and Chrysler, they produce roughly thirty percent more cars and trucks than GM. From a coolant perspective, the volume leader should be cars with HOAT coolant. Go figure.

#17 ·
Yea,never thought of that.Add in Mercedes (as they use a similar fluid) and its overwelming in "Global" favor,but the execs running Wally World arent that smart that they know the market for auto supplies.They keep running out of ATF+4 (their own Super Tech/Warren Oil line) yet they spare little space on the shelf for it when they restock.All the while the Type F and Dexron just sit there.

#22 ·
Both of these statements are false.

You have an undying hatred for anything GM-related, and it shows in generalizations such as this. Life is much better if you keep and open mind about you, and don't fester so much anger.

#21 ·
Dex-cool is still ethylene glycol (see the MSDS) - with OAT anti-corrosion additives.

- G

#24 ·
I'm sorry that you have had so much bad luck with GM products. I happen to have a 2004 Chevy Malibu as a second car. This car has only needed few repairs other than the scheduled maintenance and replacement brakes and rotors. It get excellent fuel mileage (2.2L ecotec) And shows no signs of any rust anywhere. Unlike my Caravan that is already showing signs of rust in the door and hatch seams and under the rocker panels). I replaced the Dexcool coolant this last spring and it looked as clean as the new dexcool I put back in. After owning this car I would happily look at what GM has to offer in the future. I prefer to keep my mind open.
Hank

#25 ·
GM's been real good by me. Of the relatively few vehicles I've owned, they've been the best, in terms of number of repairs (until I got the Toyota), including one with the TH-200-C transmission, by the way, and including two GM vehicles with Dexcool. Your statement was that Dexcool is "crap". Dexcool has never been proven to cause the issues for which it's blamed. It's been 15 years now since Dexcool was first introduced and GM is still using it, with great success.

And who ever said that GM was perfect?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.