Road Trip

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Road Trip

Cool Road Trip

Back in Dec., gf and I bought a '15 T&C as a CPO from a local dealer near Austin, TX. Former Enterprise rental, looked very clean and even with 54k on the odo, with 7 yr. warranty I had enough confidence to buy it for $17.5M out the door (which was advertised price).
    GF has had long history with mini vans and she loves the stow'n go. She pushed the last one all over the upper NW from TX, but with some hard use at 88k, it was shot. So, we traded that one in for this.
    I wasn't familiar with Chrysler, been mostly in Toyotas (good) and before that Fords (bad). This mini has been really nice. Of course, at this point, I'm pretty late to the party. They are pretty highly evolved machines, with tons of creature comforts.
    So far we've taken it on local day trips to state parks in TX, to So. Padre Island and now just back from 1,300 mi. trip to Pikes Peak area of CO, with detour thru KS, to OK to see her oldest son in Air Force on return.
    It was a great trip and the van was flawless. After reading some of the posts here, I'm beginning to agree, the ECO button really isn't worth it. Next time out, I'll try manually downshifting on the highways while in CC. That seems to be the right approach.
    Engine is very strong and had no problems up in the mountains including the obligatory drive to top of Pikes Peak. Got there just in time to see the snow squalls coming in at eye level. Great confidence booster too, as the park ranger tells me at entrance that the temp is falling and the wind is starting to pick up. Just what I wanted to hear driving a "high profile" vehicle. Well, it really was Ok, and just a primer for what we drove on the next day.
    That would bring us to drive on what some would call a "Jeep Trail", and I'd call a "Goat Trail". Shelf Rd. in CO, runs between Cripple Creek to Canon City. Only about 24 miles, but 24 miles of the most eye popping, frightening road I had ever crossed.
    Truly beautiful in the canyon floor as we saw a herd of about 20-25 big horned sheep grazing as they crossed the road, ambling up the canyon sides like a literal walk in the park.
    Then things got more interesting. Road begins to ascend the canyon walls to the point where there are many blind switchbacks, with no guardrail, with what must be many hundreds' if not thousands of feet of clear blue sky between you and the canyon floor.
    Heartbeat and perspiration increased accordingly. Confirming the seriousness of the situation, when two guys in a Toyota p/u drove the other way, we had to stop and chat about it.
    He pretty much nailed it when he said, that there was no warning how difficult this drive would be and that he was, in his words, "scared as ****!". Trail at that point was highly rutted and I was just trying to ride the high points to keep from any contact with the bottom, and the edge. Thank heavens we met at a place where two cars could pass.
    I tried to sound reassuring by letting him know that, at least he had a better piece of equipment for such traverses than I did. We stopped at some of the old gold mining installations that we found back there, more to calm my nerves than to take in any history. Was very happy to hit the tarmac in Canon City. Solid road never felt so good.
    Was a great trip thru the heartland, a place I'm not familiar with. Lots of backroads, gf was great about keeping us off the interstate when possible.
    Many scenes that look just like the paintings we've all seen. Imagining the travails of early settlers who crossed those plains in ox drawn wagons, while we travelled in style. Saw evidence of the wildfire burns, too. Absorbed a lot of history. But traveling in the T&C was a treat. Held all our stuff, comfortable as could be. Spent yesterday cleaning off that red OK dirt. Can't wait 'till the next trip. Would love to hear more of others experiences with the mini.
    Long live the mini van!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thepirate For This Useful Post:

04anniversaryedition(03-23-2017), Caraman99(03-21-2017), JCamasto(03-21-2017), LEVY(03-21-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Would love to see some pictures, your trip sounds very interesting. I took this one on one of my trips:

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply