2012 town country leak

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2012 town country leak

Quote Originally Posted by georgef View Post
    They do not bolt on, they have quick connect fittings, and you will want use one of the special tools made to remove them.....
    If you don't have that tool, you can just un-screw those fittings, easier than using that tool, I believe.

Just make sure you use the correct size wrench.

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LEVY For This Useful Post:

JC1(03-20-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    If you don't have that tool, you can just un-screw those fittings, easier than using that tool, I believe.

Just make sure you use the correct size wrench.
    The quick connect fittings do NOT have a hex, there is nothing to un-screw, the lines are free to rotate inside the fitting.

You need the special tool to release the spring clip that holds the tube in the fitting.
    2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8) 200,000+ miles
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport (3.3) 250,000+ miles
    2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
    Previous Chrysler Vehicles: 1995 Dodge Caravan (3.0), 1993 Dodge Caravan (3.0), 1986 Chrysler Lebaron GTS (2.2), 1963 Plymouth Valiant (170ci)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to georgef For This Useful Post:

JC1(03-20-2017)

Thanks guys what I'm leaking is it probably tranny fluid or coolant? Why are they making American cars so difficult now. I also noticed that there is no tranny dipstick what's up with that. I would really like to pass on flanging the pipe if not necessary. Any thoughts further on preassure?

7. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

The quick connect fittings do NOT have a hex, there is nothing to un-screw, the lines are free to rotate inside the fitting.

You need the special tool to release the spring clip that holds the tube in the fitting.
    Those holes have threads, how do you think I removed the hoses? That condenser is from a 2012 T & C

2012 Town & Country
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

Double checked to make sure I was correct, maybe there are two different types of condenser. On mine, you can just un-thread the line connector, it will freely turn on the hose. Then, if you want to reuse the line connector, you need to use that special tool, but it would be wise to install new fittings with new o-ring, it will cost you about $12.00 more if ordered with the hoses.

Last edited by LEVY; 03-20-2017 at 06:20 AM.

2012 Town & Country
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

Double checked to make sure I was correct, maybe there are two different types of condenser. On mine, you can just un-thread the line connector, it will freely turn on the hose. Then, if you want to reuse the line connector, you need to use that special tool, but it would be wise to install new fittings with new o-ring, it will cost you about $12.00 more if ordered with the hoses.
    Now I understand what you are getting at, you are removing the part of the connection that was designed to be left in place. I can see where using a new fitting containing a new o-ring could be a good thing but I think removing the fitting from the transmission would be more prone to having debris enter the transmission.

Oddly my van does not have the removable fittings on the cooler but it does on the transmission.
    2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8) 200,000+ miles
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport (3.3) 250,000+ miles
    2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
    Previous Chrysler Vehicles: 1995 Dodge Caravan (3.0), 1993 Dodge Caravan (3.0), 1986 Chrysler Lebaron GTS (2.2), 1963 Plymouth Valiant (170ci)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to georgef For This Useful Post:

LEVY(03-20-2017)

Now I understand what you are getting at, you are removing the part of the connection that was designed to be le;ft in place. I can see where using a new fitting containing a new o-ring could be a good thing but I think removing the fitting from the transmission would be more prone to having debris enter the transmission.

Oddly my van does not have the removable fittings on the cooler but it does on the transmission.
    Correct, but not sure if it was designed to be left untouched because those fittings are not included with the new condenser, at least not on the one I installed on mine. You can see if yours have those fittings looking through the front grille. The original fittings are low profile, you can hardly see the hex part, looks like it is aprox 5/16" tick. After market ones are a lot ticker.

2012 Town & Country
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

Nice levy! Mine has the bolts. I'm still unsure which route I want to go my upper hose is leaking is that Trans fluid or coolant? Seems like coolant. Just noticed why no transmission dipstick??

Quote Originally Posted by Master.Legend View Post
    Nice levy! Mine has the bolts. I'm still unsure which route I want to go my upper hose is leaking is that Trans fluid or coolant? Seems like coolant. Just noticed why no transmission dipstick??
    Most FWD vehicles nowadays don't have transmission dipstick.

Those two lines are transmission fluid lines, so if one of those is leaking, then it is ATF.

2012 Town & Country
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

Most FWD vehicles nowadays don't have transmission dipstick.
    How is fluid level monitored in this case?
    Steve
    1999 Caravan LE, 3.3L, 300,000KM
    2005 Saturn Vue AWD (Honda J35 3.5 V-TEC 260HP) 216,000KM
    1982 Suzuki Katana,(ported/shaved head,11:1,4in1,KNre-cal/filters,cam,120HP)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply