Even after alignment, van still pulls

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Even after alignment, van still pulls

Even after alignment, van still pulls

Hello,
    I have a 2012 Grand Caravan SXT. I bought it used with 40k on it, and it has about 90k on it now.
    It's had a pull to the right since I've owned it. I got the alignment done, and switched tires/rims, and no matter what it still pulls, even if i'm going city speed or highway.
    Anybody know what else it can be?
    I have a bit of warranty left so I'm thinking I'll bring it in, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Check your brakes, you may have one problematic caliper.

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

Check for play in the wheel bearing as well, as the caliper. I have seen vehicles be "aligned" with bearing play. They don't have to be noisy to be going bad. But since it has been pulling since you bought it, it is not the magic bullet.
    Also control arm bushings, ball joint
    Trying to think of parts that are static during the alignment, and move during driving.
    Last edited by 443k3.3; 03-09-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts
    2006 Town & Country 3.8 Touring 260k, 2nd engine, 2nd transmission. 2013 GMC Acadia SLT 3.6l 45k
    2003 Grand Caravan Sport 3.8 264k :::: 1995 Jeep GC 4L 335k SNOW & GO---2003 Grand Caravan 3.3 196k :::::1997 Grd Voy 3.3 266k
    Gone but not forgotten: 2003 Caravan 3.3 Flex 443k original engine and trans & lighting strike sold 10/2013, should have never let it go.
    1992 Plymouth Voyager 3.0 sold 1999 ;;;;;; 2000 Grand 3.3 201k sold 4/2016 .......1999 Jeep GC 4L 221k 2nd head sold 4/2017
    Good riddance:1996 Town & Country 3.3 when 2nd trans went 2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

How do the tire wear patterns look? Is the steering wheel centered?
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 214K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWhisKeY View Post
    Hello,
    I have a 2012 Grand Caravan SXT. I bought it used with 40k on it, and it has about 90k on it now.
    It's had a pull to the right since I've owned it. I got the alignment done, and switched tires/rims, and no matter what it still pulls, even if i'm going city speed or highway.
    I have a bit of warranty left so I'm thinking I'll bring it in, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
    Thanks
    Welcome to the site.
    You said you have had an alignment done. Could you post the settings?
    Too much cross camber and especially cross caster will cause a pull. The camber can be adjusted with cam kits. The caster being off means something is worn,bent or was made wrong.
    2013 TC Limited Black/Graystone Custom ordered 5/13
    Luxury non Stow & Go buckets, Tow and almost everything else. Lifetime Max Care warranty. Driven to 36 states so far.
    1994 Grand Caravan SE Sport, 3.3L, 351,000+ miles and counting. Original engine and trans. Bought it new and have driven it to 48 states. Now my daughters daily driver.

The pull to the right is common, as was the case with 2010 SXT 4.0... There was in fact excessive positive camber on front right wheel. I was able to correct it by loosening strut mount bolts and tapping on steering knuckle while supporting brake rotor, and also with some adjustment at upper mount nuts. It was enough to then have to toe front right wheel back out with tie-rod adjustment. Pull is now reduced by more than half.
    Also, right rear wheel shows an excess of toe-in and slightly excessive negative camber. I can adjust both by shimming bearing hub, although it's seized in there tight. I'll just wait till it needs new bearing hubs (soon?) to do the final right rear wheel alignment adjustment which should completely cure the pull.

Here goes:

I always do my own 5 wheel alignments. Never trusted anyone else to get it straight...

I set the steering wheel straight (engine running, wiggle it around a bit at center), stretch a chalk line from rear tire tread across the rear sidewall to the front sidewall to check toe in/toe out. Adjust outer tie-rods as necessary.

If your front end is in good condition it's really as simple as that. I get great mileage from my tires and we can let go of the steering wheel at 130km/h!
    Steve
    1999 Caravan LE, 3.3L, 300,000KM
    2005 Saturn Vue AWD (Honda J35 3.5 V-TEC 260HP) 216,000KM
    1982 Suzuki Katana,(ported/shaved head,11:1,4in1,KNre-cal/filters,cam,120HP)

1. Good shop? 2. Tires could still be at fault

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWhisKeY View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks
    How much do you trust the shop that did the alignment? How long has it been since their equipment has been calibrated? I assume they did a 4 wheel alignment?
    Even though you've rotated tires, it can still be the tires. I had a set of Yokohamas on a previous car that drove me nuts. No matter how I switched them around, the car pulled (the pulling did change from one side to the other, though). Finally found a way to get a pair on the front that didn't pull, or pulled equally in opposite directions. Of course then I could never rotate tires again or I'd be back to the pull to one side or the other.

They surely only produced an alignment data report sheet, without actually adjusting camber, toe, or anything, especially in the rear which has the most effect on pull, and which is hardest to adjust... They also likely didn't adjust front camber by taking the time and effort, and also from assuming it cannot be adjusted. What they call an alignment is merely a fine tuning of the front toe.
    Last edited by invader; 03-10-2017 at 12:39 AM.

Did you take the van back to the alignment shop and tell them it still pulling?
    2010 STX 3.8

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply