The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Left signal won,t cancel after turn

23K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Hokiefyd 
#1 ·
My left signal won,t cancel after a turn but makes a attempt but needs alittle help from my finger so has anyone had any experience with that? I,m affraid to fool around in the air bag area. Can I get to it without removing the steering wheel or what? 2005 T&C .

#2 ·
It's usualy a bad switch.Pretty easy to change.
some people take it off and clean them.
When I replaced mine, I noticed a design change.

You have to remove the plastic trim around the steering column to get to the switch
You won't have to worry about the airbag.

FYI - wiper switch / turn signal switch replacement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an FYI. it looks like a design change was made for the wiper switch.

vehicle is a 2001 Chrysler T&C Lxi.

The turn signal would not cancel when going left.
I decided to go with an Airtex 1S2897 wiper switch from Rock Auto.

This fixed the problem and was easy to change.
Three screws for the plastic shroud around the steering column, and two screws for the wiper switch.

The new part is stamped Methode, same as the original part.
http://www.methode.com

the new one has a couple of additional ridges on it, which you can see when the switch is installed, and the shroud is in place. A good way to spot the newer one vs the old!

The plastic piece that stick outs when you engage the turn signal is black instead of white. I am assuming they made an internal change.

The new part number is 04685711AB, the old one 04695711AA

When I searched on the net it looks like the newer part number replaced the older one for 2007.

2007 Chrysler electrical application guide w:th the AB part number.
http://starparts.chrysler.com/starli...electrical.pdf

2006 Chrysler electrical application guide with the AA part number:
http://partsyouneed.net/v/vspfiles/pdf/electrical.pdf

#5 ·
The turn signal would not cancel when going left.
I decided to go with an Airtex 1S2897 wiper switch from Rock Auto.
I took my turn signal switch apart tonight. There are two very narrow-diameter coil springs in there, which move the little canceling pawl around. It appears like they're designed to be the same in length. But one of mine is about half the length as the other, and doesn't even engage with the pawl. It doesn't look broken (I couldn't find any trace of a broken end in the switch), but it can't be that way from the factory either (and indeed, mine doesn't self-cancel). So I think I need a new switch.

2007 model year owners: the Airtex part number listed above is not applicable to the 2007 model year according to Rock Auto. I tried to look it up, and nothing is listed for our van, and when I typed the part number in, indeed 2006 is the last year applicable for it. But my OE switch is the 4685711AB as listed above. If I type that part number into chryslerpartsdirect.com, it does list it as applicable for 2001-2007. You'd think that this switch would be the same for 2001 to 2007, and it appears to be so according to Chrysler.

Chryslerpartsdirect.com has this switch for $49.something, but I'd have to add shipping on top of that. Rock Auto has it for $45.89, plus about $8 for priority mail shipping to my house. Take away the 5% discount you can find at various internet sites and the total is $51.46 delivered to my house. Not bad I guess. :beerchug:

#3 ·
I cleaned mine and it works fine. There was tons a grease in there. Just make sure you know how to put it back together.

#4 ·
I hope you didn't take ALL the grease out, without replacing some of it with new (?). The grease is in there to lubricate, as well as keep the contacts from corroding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.