The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Oil change time

6K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  RD_3 
#1 ·
So, my oil change indicator finally tripped on my new to me 14 GC. I've done my own oil changes for years, but I've never had a vehicle with warranty either (CPO). If I decide to do it myself, what all do I need to keep on hand (receipts, etc.) to be okay warranty wise?

#3 ·
That's what I was figuring, and just wanted to be sure. Thanks. Think I'll use the chart in the back of the book and tape the receipts there.

#4 ·
Since I buy my oil in larger quantities when it goes on sale the receipt for oil is a problem. What I decided to do, is buy the oil filter from the dealer shortly before the change and take a time stamped picture of the oil jug (there are apps for smartphones that can do it), with SAE viscosity clearly visible and the odometer reading. I then scan the oil filter receipt and combine it with the picture for the record. I also make an entry in the maintenance log that matches the date and mileage of pictures taken.
I hope I never have to use it though.

#7 ·
Remember the 2014 filter is different from your (wife's) 2013. Don't over-tighten the filter cap.

#9 ·
Yeah, I've been privy to that since I got it and was digging around on here. Probably going to go with the Wix unless I decide to wait long enough to order the MO-349 filter online.

#11 ·
I'm guessing you are talking about a factory warranty. But my opinion-either way (factory or aftermarket warranty)-is that a "license repair facility" has to perform the 'scheduled' maintenance.

I just went through this whole process with an aftermarket warranty provider. The sale lady tried her best to convince me receipts and personal record were fine. But I kept going back to the paperwork and all I ever saw was "licensed repair facility". Turns out, she did some checking with the higher ups and sure enough, personal record keeping and receipts ARE NOT adequate records to keep a warranty (the one I was looking at) intact. I'd check into it a lot more before making a potentially expensive mistake.

All that said-I've never bought a new vehicle. Surely the same does not apply.

#14 ·
This isn't new, but it is factory. I bought the van Factory Certified Pre Owned which comes with warranty. On your advice, I contacted the Chysler Cares people on here, and she directed me to a couple pages in the warranty manual. It was clear as mud. Didn't say I couldn't, but didn't say I could either. At this point, after a past fight with Kia to get warranty work done on my wife's car (thank God that POS is gone), I think I'm going to spend the extra $10 or so and get it done even though I would much prefer to do it myself.

#16 ·
I don't know how they handle warranty on other countries but, in USA you can do your maintenance yourself.

But I also know, in Mexico maintenance must be done by dealer, and by factory recommended schedule, you miss the schedule and forget about your warranty. Fortunately (?), Mexican dealers are eager to accept bribes, so with a little extra money you can go back to schedule.

#17 ·
While doing an oil change on the 2010 GC SXT 4.0 at 58,250 kms yesterday, I caught a brake fluid leak at front right caliper where the flex line bolts on, which had just started during the engine warmup and pre-oil change high speed road test... It had never been touched since new, although I had recently replaced all brake rotors and pads. I was able to tighten it about 1/8 turn and fixed the leak.

Not fascinating enough to start a new thread about, but I still wanted to mention this mostly bizarre and highly unusual event.

#18 ·
So, while I'm sure I'm within my rights to do it myself, I took the route of no room for questioning should something happen down the line and had the local dealer change it yesterday. Also partially because I wanted them to check to see if I had the latest PCM flash (which I was pretty sure I didn't) and update if it needed. Likely just in my head, but I think I could tell a difference in the shifting today. So, for about $11 more than I'd have spent on the oil and filter, I got the oil/filter changed, PCM flashed, and a wash and vacuum. I'll take it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.